Votes: 27 31.4%
  • A little

Votes: 40 46.5%

• Total voters

CBaker

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Title kind of says it all. Would love to see what golfers think of it.

So what do you say - is the sport of golf stuffy?

From a definition standpoint:
(of a person) not receptive to new or unusual ideas and behavior; conventional and narrow-minded.

Last edited:
I don't see the stuffiness. But I am at a public course. If I was at a private or semi private I think my opinion would be different.

IMO to none Golfers there is the perception of it being Stuffy, but to those of us that partake in this game unless you are a member of a high end club then I say it is not.

Most everyone I have met on a Golf Course are nice down to earth folks, well maybe Greg K. is the exception to that rule with the tats and all :eyepoke::act-up:

I don't see the stuffiness. But I am at a public course. If I was at a private or semi private I think my opinion would be different.

I'm kind of thinking about it from this sense as well:

(of a person) not receptive to new or unusual ideas and behavior; conventional and narrow-minded.

Not anymore. Maybe back in the day of CC snobs ( No offense to CC members ) The game has evolved, it's much more flamboyant. Gone are the days of saddle shoes and khakis, The younger crowd took tradition and put a positive spin on the game and attire IMO. No stuffiness at all.

It all depends on how you approach it and the attitudes of people you choose to play with. The probably is some stuffiness out there but with THPers and the people I play with at or near home, it is not even close to that.

I voted a little. I think there are certain stimgas around apparel, equipment, etc. that are stuffy, but I think people are being more receptive of ideas that are a bit outside the box.

From the outside looking in golf is stuffy. Golf is an expensive sport to start and most kids don't start playing unless their parents play. I do think the image of golf is improving and the game is becoming more available to everyone but it is still stuffy. I will say some of the greatest and most un-stuffy people I know are golfers. But they are the ones creating the image.

I don't think golf is stuffy, I don't think things like dress codes are stuffy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

It is all perspective. I have been paired up with a few people over the years that I thought were a bit uptight about the game and I would bet a few others might think than I am stuffy. I play by the rules of golf (don't take breakfast balls, play it as it lies, take penalty strokes etc) so I would imagine others might think I am too by the book.

Not to me, I play public course and its anything but stuffy.

I think it can be and should be. Good thing there are plenty of choices among courses/clubs.

I think the stuffiness is in the heads of those who perceive it that way. Yes, if you are in company of people other than your regular group on the course a certain decorum is expected, but shouldn't it be? I always try to behave respectfully and show good manners when interaction with strangers. Now a round of golf with a group of friends can get down right crude, but as long as its kept in the group I don't see anything wrong with that.

I have played at Private clubs that have been some of the most laid back places I have ever been, so that stereotype doesn't hold water for me either.

Every once in a while you run into an "old-head" ranger who busts chops about wearing a collar or tucking in a shirt but I think that is by the wayside for the most part.

I'm kind of thinking about it from this sense as well:

Given that a large portion of the golfing population seem to people who are "set in their ways" and long for "the good old days", I would say yes.

I think that the stuffiness is going to vary widely depending on the group of people you either play with or, as a nonplayer, interact with. Is there some, sure but I don't believe it to be rampant.

I think golf is a little stuffy, but I think it's a good thing. I think golfer's should be held to a higher standard as they are responsible for calling penalties on themselves, taking care of the course, etc. etc.

I'm sure in some circles it's still the old stuffy environment, but I chose to not play/socialize at those clubs.

I've been in a few clubs where I felt out of place, but it was more from a race perspective vs a stuffiness

Given that a large portion of the golfing population seem to people who are "set in their ways" and long for "the good old days", I would say yes.

Not every new transition is a good transition.
Think back of the fashion segments and trends of the last 40 years and see how ridiculous some of them looked.
Does it make it stuffy to think these were terrible trends?

7352621e8ef35654f250e104bcf34479.jpg

6a00e54efa92c388330133f4efb351970b-pi

ski-junky-fanny-4.jpg

03af0550fc77e655d8b1f343520df15e.jpg

203703_White.jpg

Think back of the fashion segments and trends of the last 40 years and see how ridiculous some of them looked.

7352621e8ef35654f250e104bcf34479.jpg

6a00e54efa92c388330133f4efb351970b-pi

ski-junky-fanny-4.jpg

03af0550fc77e655d8b1f343520df15e.jpg

203703_White.jpg
Maybe it does. Not everyone thinks all of those are ridiculous.

I will flat out admit to being a bit stuffy that said that is for me personally I don't care what others do.
I don't want to expand fully as I don't want to upset some (not intended to) but I am stuffy with much more than golf but again it is for me personally.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Maybe it does. Not everyone thinks all of those are ridiculous.

It's like they walked out of their homes without passing a single mirror...I'll take stuffy over underwear hanging out.

It's not necessarily just fashion or clothing based though. Looks at hybrids and graphite shafts. Mallet putters. There have been a lot of good ideas that golfers have been stuffy towards almost solely because they were different.

I play a public course, and I don't think it stops the stuffiness. Put any four random golfers together and each of them will probably think there are things about the other three that are not only wrong about golf but wrong about society. I've seen a guy in jorts mumble stuff about brightly colored polo shirts (I might have been in bright pink at the time.) I watched a guy top a 3 iron and say It could have been worse, I could have done it with a hybrid. I spent four holes trying to play through a foursome putting in a 5 hour round, and had one of the players tell me, to my face, "You young people need quit being in such a hurry, so no, you can't play through."

It's not necessarily just fashion or clothing based though. Looks at hybrids and graphite shafts. Mallet putters. There have been a lot of good ideas that golfers have been stuffy towards almost solely because they were different.
Let me flip that and question this though. Some may find those a great thing but why judge the person that does not ? It is doing the same thing to that person as a stuffy person is doing to someone more open. Everyone should realize what makes things great are options and opinions the world would be boring if we were all the same

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's like they walked out of their homes without passing a single mirror...I'll take stuffy over underwear hanging out.
I hope no one thinks i agree with all of those trends lol im just saying not everyone thinks they are that bad. Turtlenecks and fanny packs are still around believe it or not. I have no idea where the stuffy line gets drawn. The whole star wars long shirt attire from Kanye Wests clothing is very very popular but i dont like it. Does it make me stuffy? Whos to say? Idk honestly

Back