Throwing equipment vs throwing a ball?

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
We've had threads about throwing equipment in the past, but playing this morning with a friend and two randoms, it got me thinking about a bad hole and throwing the ball in to the water.

Twice during the round, one of the guys in the group finished the hole (poorly) then casually fired his ba in the direction of the closest water hazard.

I chuckled and didn't think it was a big deal, just letting out some frustration.

Then I started thinking, had he thrown his putter, something would have been said, but the ball toss didn't bother me.

Does someone throwing their ball back in to the hazard bother you?

Nah, I'm not bothered by the ball toss, but if it's accompanied by a meltdown that's a different situation.

Personally no.

I will toss a ball into the water, or into the bush, after a particularly bad hole. I figure I am better off tossing a ball than a club, and use the ball toss as a sort of offering to the golf gods.

Last round I had two club throwers in the group. One was thrown down the fairway, and a hybrid was thrown into the bush. Was not amused at all, and let it be known. Even better that all this happened with 3 holes to go.

I have thrown a ball in the water a number of times. Bad Ju-Ju to keep playing it. I dont like throwing clubs.

It's akin to littering so I'm not a fan. If you don't like a ball, then throw it in the garbage can on the next tee box or leave it on the ground by the ball washer. Someone will recycle it for you.

One of the courses I play has a tee box next to a lake. It always surprises me to see people hit old balls into the water and then say it was fun.

Just one guy's observation.

for some reason throwing a ball is much more acceptable than throwing a club. Sometimes the ball just stops working for you and it needs to go away haha. Throwing a club makes things awkward for everyone.

I don't care if they throw their ball, their clubs, or drive their cart in the lake. It's their stuff and their money.

I never throw clubs but will throw balls/ tees quite a bit. Sometimes you have to make an example of a ball that doesn't behave so the others know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's akin to littering so I'm not a fan. If you don't like a ball, then throw it in the garbage can on the next tee box or leave it on the ground by the ball washer. Someone will recycle it for you.

One of the courses I play has a tee box next to a lake. It always surprises me to see people hit old balls into the water and then say it was fun.

Just one guy's observation.
The course probably lets a guy dive for them and recycle them. We have a place here, Golf Ball Paul, who does that at many area courses including ours. We even buy them and sell them in our pro shop. He gives us a nice break on them and we sell out rather quickly.

To me a ball, glove, or tee is a consumable item. It has a ( useable lifespan).
You see people with a putter that they have had for 30 years, but never a tee, glove, or ball.
If some decides to discard a ball early, that's their decision.
If they throw it into the woods and it bounces back where it could hit someone, I'll get mad.
If they throw a club, that could injure someone, too.
If they want to donate the (bad juju) golf ball to me, I'll add it to my shag bag later.

I don't throw equipment but I have tossed a ball into water many times

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't throw equipment but I have tossed a ball into water many times

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Same. Particularly on the par 5 9th at my home course.

I've always thought of ball throwing was an offering to the golf gods. Sometimes the ball just needs to be washed.

I've been known to hurl a ball or two into the water. If I make a bad score obviously the ball is flawed...right?

I don't throw Titleist balls in the water or woods .... they cost too much!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ball chucking doesn't bother me. Club tossing hits a nerve though - when I was caddying in middle/high school I had a member chuck his putter into the lake on 18 after losing a substantial amount of money in the round. He told me to go get it for him. I chuckled and said "I'm sorry sir?" to which he replied "You heard me. Go get it." Thankfully that pr*ck was asked to leave the club a few seasons later.

I have thrown a ball in the water a number of times. Bad Ju-Ju to keep playing it. I dont like throwing clubs.

No club throwing with me, but I have tossed a few in the water in the past, and I'm sure I will in the future.

Haven't done either. I may swing the club aggressive after a bad shot (though above the turf) and I may call myself some names but I don't throw my equipment.

Doesn't bother me at all. I've throw my fair share of balls in the water.

I'm OK with it, I don't think that you are as likely to serious injure someone when you throw a ball.. a club on the other hand...

I've thrown a ball many times. Don't see anything wrong with it.

Threw a club once and felt like an ass and told myself will never do that again.

It really doesn't bother me if someone has a meltdown. I don't care if they want to throw there clubs or there golf balls. It's got some comedic value for me to see that, especially if it is just a random guy. I was playing probably 2 years ago and got paired up with one of those who is the greatest thing since Tiger (just ask him). 4 holes in he tossed his wedge into a lake and walked off the course. One of the funniest things I've seen on the course. It was probably a touch more funny because of all the talking he was doing about how good he was.

I never throw clubs, but I've been known to casually toss a ball into the green side water hazards. I think it's equal parts frustration and "moving on" from that ball/hole. Seems more mature than a temper laden toss of a golf club--which is probably inaccurate.

Ive thrown both and im not proud of it lol these days i dont throw anything but i guess if someone threw a ball in the water it wouldnt bother me. I cant afford to do that with my gamers lol

I've never done either. While I've had some bad shots, I have tried to regroup and keep playing. I always keep in mind that I'm not getting paid to play. Plus equipment is too expensive to throw!

Back