Golf's added bonuses

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I love to play the game of golf. It's a very challenging sport. There's this small hole way out there 519 yds away, and they expect me to be able to put together a series of well executed shots which will allow me to put my ball in the cup in 5 strokes or less. Quite an assignment to say the least and that's only a small part of the enjoyment of the game of golf. There are other things I enjoy about playing golf, things which I describe as added bonuses to the game. For instance, we often get to observe wildlife on the course. It could be deer, a fox, coyote, messy geese, or alligators, or just colorful birds with their distinctive sounds, etc. Then there is the added bonus of various smells. There are two adjoining holes at one of the courses I play quite often which has the strong smell of cedar wood, and then there is another hole which has some sort of sweet smelling flowering bushes to excite your senses. There's that sound of a woodpecker repeatedly banging his head into a tree, or that babbling brook that winds itself around one of the greens. Those are some of the added enjoyable bonuses that come with playing golf.

Can you think of any added bonuses that you get to enjoy?

Friendships.

Edit: and #TheGrandaddy

I would agree with friendships. I've met some really nice people over the years and in different places. While I still play with my regular friends, I've also made new ones from strangers.

I love to play the game of golf. It's a very challenging sport. There's this small hole way out there 519 yds away, and they expect me to be able to put together a series of well executed shots which will allow me to put my ball in the cup in 5 strokes or less. Quite an assignment to say the least and that's only a small part of the enjoyment of the game of golf. There are other things I enjoy about playing golf, things which I describe as added bonuses to the game. For instance, we often get to observe wildlife on the course. It could be deer, a fox, coyote, messy geese, or alligators, or just colorful birds with their distinctive sounds, etc. Then there is the added bonus of various smells. There are two adjoining holes at one of the courses I play quite often which has the strong smell of cedar wood, and then there is another hole which has some sort of sweet smelling flowering bushes to excite your senses. There's that sound of a woodpecker repeatedly banging his head into a tree, or that babbling brook that winds itself around one of the greens. Those are some of the added enjoyable bonuses that come with playing golf.

Can you think of any added bonuses that you get to enjoy?

I agree with all of the above along with life lasting friendships and time with family. It is for these reasons I do not understand anyone wanting music and cell phones on the course. Nothing better than shutting off regular life for a couple hours.

It allows me the excuse to play hooky from work one afternoon a week. I claim it benefits my mental health.

The unmistakable sound of a beer can being opened :bananadance:

Meeting and playing with THPers at THP Events.
Making the impossible, possible.
Its what its all about to me and this game.

The brought me to THP.

Golf is the central element to my every day functions outside work and family.

It has provided me with most of my most trusted and closest friends on this planet. Hard to not adore the game for that.

Plus, the game itself allows me to control my Destiny. Something few other things in this world provide.

Golf has given me the medium to find my true self. Given me a tool to strengthen the bond with my son. Introduced me to those people that I hold closest to me. And taught me a few things about humility, perseverance, patience.

Golf allows me have a competitive aspect to it when I wish, or just a pure enjoyment of being outside and enjoying the company I'm with, when I wish. it's one of the few spectating sports that my Fiance enjoys watching or going to, so it allows those times to be special.

Not being at work.
Being competitive..even though it is really with myself.

No one hit that good shot but me.
No one hit that bad shot but me.

I am the some component of my success in golf beyond outside elements like support or weather. Few things in this world allow for that anymore.

Quality time with my son.

Some of my best business relationships have been forged on the golf course.

Golf allows to me to relax around my friends. No one expects anything but myself! It has also been a way to meet some the best people I have ever met including some at THP!!

Golf allows to me to relax around my friends. No one expects anything but myself! It has also been a way to meet some the best people I have ever met including some at THP!!
Well except for July 9th then a few of us may expect something :D

Well except for July 9th then a few of us may expect something :D
There are exceptions to every statement! Especially on July 9th, I'm ready!!!

It's a huge part of my life and well being.I have had chronic bouts of major depression and alcoholism for quite a long time.This great game as allowed me to get my mind away from my diseases and all the mistakes I've made in the past.Its so peaceful and relaxing on the course wish I could spend more time there

The time spent with friends is the big added bonus for me.

I love the challenge of the game and facing it with others (either my usual group or THPers or strangers) makes it more enjoyable, even for an introvert like myself.

Golf has enabled me to forge a strong bond with my dad that I'm grateful every time I step onto a tee box. He was the one who told me once that "the cemetery's are full of people who wish they could hit a shot that badly" - put everything sharply into perspective that day.

Golf is my maintenance drug. It has fortunately kept me away from other maintenance drugs. It's a great way to let off steam from work. It's also a venue of some of the best times I've had with my friends. I'd still play the game even if I shot 120 every time I played.

Back