How do you read the greens?

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
Watching the Tournament this weekend, and I always find myself taking mental notes on what the pros do as the approach and get on the green in regards to reading their putts. I take notice of how many sides they look at the green from, what they look for in terms of aiming if it seems to be a big breaking putt, etc.

For me, I typically pay attention to the break first, then check the putt from both sides and then take note of the grain, while still keeping this entire process in a timely manner so others arent waiting.

How do you read the greens or read your putts?

As soon as I get to the green, I'll try to walk from the other side of the putt and work my way around. If I'm waiting on someone to play up, I may get behind my ball first and then walk around. I've learned over time that even if I feel something different in my feet when standing over the putt, my first read is usually the best read.

I tend to only read from behind the ball. If the greens have some undulation I will walk the hole to feel the green on the high side, then walk back down the low side and look at the slope.

Im lazy so rarely take the time to check the putt from both sides (sometimes hurts me), take a peak behind the ball and then I putt

I mark my ball, walk to the other side of the hole, and then walk back to my ball on the side of the hole I believe the slope to be in order to analyze the shape.

Sounds time consuming, but not when people are still making their way to the green or marking their balls still.

I look at the entire green as I am walking up. Then will take a look behind the ball and give it a go. If I really really need to make it I may give it a look from behind the hole if it is a super tricky putt .

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I found out that I need to take a class on reading greens because I have been missing putts by inches the last 5 rounds!!!

I get a first read on my way up to the green and try to get a feel for elevation and break. Then I take a look from behind the ball and then again from the side if needed.

I make it a point to be the one to pull the flag so I can get a look at my put from behind the hole. I then kneel about 5 feet behind my ball mark to try to determine the line from that side. Admittedly, green reading is not my strong suit.

I'm usually on the green last so I'll typically just take a good look from behind, maybe get some feel if I'm repairing a mark or clearing debris along the line. If I don't get a definite read from behind I'll take a look at the general lay of green and surrounding land to see what the most likely influence will be.

I look at it as I walk onto the green, then mostly just read from behind the ball. I don't waste a lot of time stalking it, since I've found that it usually just creates confusion if it looks like it breaks differently from one side than from the other. Usually, my biggest concern is being certain if it's uphill or downhill so I get my speed about right. If I miss the break by a little it doesn't bother me as much as misreading the speed and leaving a stupidly long second putt because of that.

I am usually just a line up behind the ball guy, and then pull the trigger.

If it is a particularly tricky putt, I will go do both sides.

I found out that I need to take a class on reading greens because I have been missing putts by inches the last 5 rounds!!!

Nah, new putter should take care of it.

What's grain?

I look at putt head on, read the break and pull the trigger.

I need to be more diligent about trying to read from both sides of the putt. I currently usually only read from behind the ball.

Read the greens like a champ this morning. Normally I will take a quick strut from behind the ball up to the hole. One quick take behind the hole.

First look is from behind the putt and im usually looking at the entire green to see which way it slopes. Then i find the break and look at it from the side the same way i would look at a book, with the break coming to me. If there is time, i will look from behind the hole but if not i usually trust my initial read and away it goes

If I can, I always try to make my first read with the hole between me and my ball. I find that angle to be the most accurate. I then try to walk to my ball, without stepping on anybody else's line, as close to my line as possible. Then I get my read behind the ball and line up the alignment aide. I get over the ball and take a look down my target line to get a sensation of distance and pace.

Sounds like you're reading them fine. Maybe work on your speed more than your line. A little softer hit and it could take more break, or hit a little harder and you won't miss on the low side.

I look at the entire green as I am walking up. Then will take a look behind the ball and give it a go. If I really really need to make it I may give it a look from behind the hole if it is a super tricky putt .

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This sums up what I do

Sounds like you're reading them fine. Maybe work on your speed more than your line. A little softer hit and it could take more break, or hit a little harder and you won't miss on the low side.
Yea I think I just need to practice more. I like to die the ball into the hole and I miss low side so maybe same line with a little more speed could be great!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I use my feet/eyes and hands.My feet will feel the slope.My eyes look in the hole at which way the grain is growing.And I touch the green by the ball to feel the firmness.To speed up play I analyze the green slopes when approaching instead of talking about useless crap with my partners.Im there to shoot a low score and will socialize after the round in the bar.If I'm not competive than there is no reason for me to play

Back