At what point are you happy with your game?

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Well, maybe happy isn't exactly the right word. Perhaps "content" or "satisfied?"

All of us face certain limitations, be that budget, availability of teaching or practice facilities, skill levels, time, etc. and those things combine to mean that most of us are never going to be scratch players. When are we okay with our games? Where's your game now and where does it need to be for you to walk off the course on a regular basis feeling content or happy or satisfied?

I will go first. Currently I'm almost a 12 handicap. I felt pretty good about things during a stretch where I consistently shot low 80s and snuck in a high 70s round. That probably equates to a high single digit number. Given time and skill limitations I am okay at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me? Probably never. I'll be happy when I break into the teen's HDCP-wise, but knowing me, I'll still be unhappy with my scores and will tell myself I need to go lower.

There is a guy I play with, and even when he shoots in the 70's, he's not satisfied about some aspect of his game. It drives me crazy (especially when I shoot in the high 90's) but I imagine I'll be that guy when I improve, so I don't think much about it any more.

When I can compete again. I think the hardest thing for me is that I used to be able to do so much and I let it get away from me (although not entirely in my control).

When I shoot in the low 80's and occasionally bust 80 two or three times per month. If I was a better overall putter then my expectations could be a bit better :thumb:

When I can compete again. I think the hardest thing for me is that I used to be able to do so much and I let it get away from me (although not entirely in my control).
It will come back faster than you think

I've been happier about my game than I've ever been and that's mostly due to the fact that I feel closer than ever to truly being able to compete against par on most days. It has been one hell of a battle to get to this point but I can see the truly happy light at the end of the tunnel and that makes me even happier.

I don't think people who are rabid enough about golf to post on a golf forum would ever be content. My college stage movement teacher (I studied to be an opera singer) always used to refer to 'divine dissatisfaction'. It's the thing that not only drives you to improve, but gives you the sense of how to improve. I want to get back into the 70s and once I'm there, I'll want to get into the 60s. Eventually, I'll want to ace the first hole, then, have the ball bounce out of the cup into the hole on the 2nd, etc., etc.

I don't think people who are rabid enough about golf to post on a golf forum would ever be content. My college stage movement teacher (I studied to be an opera singer) always used to refer to 'divine dissatisfaction'. It's the thing that not only drives you to improve, but gives you the sense of how to improve. I want to get back into the 70s and once I'm there, I'll want to get into the 60s. Eventually, I'll want to ace the first hole, then, have the ball bounce out of the cup into the hole on the 2nd, etc., etc.
Yep and that's somewhat the impetus of the question. The quest for the next level is perhaps inevitable, but at some point - likely a different point for all of us - it is futile. Do we ever achieve satisfaction? If not, aren't we doomed to near continuous disappointment? And if that's the case then what's the point?

Yep and that's somewhat the impetus of the question. The quest for the next level is perhaps inevitable, but at some point - likely a different point for all of us - it is futile. Do we ever achieve satisfaction? If not, aren't we doomed to near continuous disappointment? And if that's the case then what's the point?

I think we do get satisfaction through achieving a success, whether it be a score, the acquisition of a new skill, or even the development of a new point of view. It might be warped on my part to view it this way, but i think that satisfaction is then rewarded with the presentation of a whole new level of possibilities for further improvement, or better still, greater understanding. I say greater understanding because I think golf serves as a great metaphor for so many other things whose lessons are not so readily learned in their own context. (Uh...that last part might be a steaming pile. Not sure...)

Seeing how the hard work has paid off this year and knowing my schedule will free up next year after school is done I am not at that point yet

When you set a goal and achieve that goal are you content or do you set another goal? I'm happy with where my golf game has gone this year, but I'll never be content with it. I'm a super competitive person, and that drives me to want to be better. I started taking lessons 3 years ago with the goal of consistently breaking 90. That happened pretty quickly. My next goal was to be a 10 handicap. That took FOREVER with ups and downs but a consistent 10 took a long time. Then it was to break 80. I was beginning to think that would never happen. It finally did this year. Then it was to be a single digit. I reached that this summer. Right now it is to consistently shoot in the 70's and to carry my handicap with me when I go to a different course. I'm still prone to throw up a big number once in a while and I want to get a better grip on that too. My ultimate goal is to beat my good friend Joe one time (been close, but hasn't happened yet). Right now if I had to pick one it would be to get my handicap to travel. I want to be able to play as well on all courses as I do on the courses around here that I get to play a lot. That hasn't happened yet but it'll come.

I'll be happy in low to mid 70s consistently

Well, maybe happy isn't exactly the right word. Perhaps "content" or "satisfied?"

All of us face certain limitations, be that budget, availability of teaching or practice facilities, skill levels, time, etc. and those things combine to mean that most of us are never going to be scratch players. When are we okay with our games? Where's your game now and where does it need to be for you to walk off the course on a regular basis feeling content or happy or satisfied?

I will go first. Currently I'm almost a 12 handicap. I felt pretty good about things during a stretch where I consistently shot low 80s and snuck in a high 70s round. That probably equates to a high single digit number. Given time and skill limitations I am okay at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree 100%. I really want to get to a point where I can at least have a chance at a 70's round on any decent course, and then I'll be pretty happy. Not that I won't still try to get better, but I'll be happy.

I'll never be satisfied as long as I'm an avid golfer. I always want to get that little bit better.

When I was a 20+ handicap, I wasn't "satisfied" with my game.
When I was a 10+ handicap, I wasn't "satisfied" with my game.
Now that I am <5 handicap, I'm not "satisfied" with my game.
I will never be "satisfied" with my game as I will always want to improve, but I will always be "happy" to play it.

Never for me, and it's what I love about golf. I will always be able to get better. It's like a drug for me really. I could go out and beat my personal best (69) and shoot 68. That would only fuel my fire even more to be able to go out and shoot 67 and so on.

I really want to break par someday but I consider it a decent round if I play most of my approaches from the fairway and Im at least scaring the flag on occasion with short irons and wedges. Plus under 30 putts.

I'lol probably always be looking to improve. But right now I'm telling myself I'll be happy if I were consistently breaking 80. Haven't broken 80 yet, come close many times.

100% Fir, 100% gir, 18 putts

Nevah

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm content whenever I'm playing golf with my daughter and also whenever I'm shooting par or better 50% of the time.

When I play well enough to win/place in a tourney and get my entry fees back at a minimum.

There's a lot of days when I'm happy with my game, but I don't think there will ever be a time I'm satisfied with it enough to stop trying to improve.

I've been as low as a 4 or so, and since then up to a 16 or so, and now trending back down. Some of this comes from age and health. I'm happy to shoot anything in the mid 80's down. I accepted the fact a long long time ago that scratch players are rarer than many think.

I don't see myself ever being happy with my game. There are nights where I'm really striping the ball, but don't score well due to a bad bounce here, a lipped putt there. And then there are nights where I can barely hit the ball in the air, yet scramble like a mofo and post a decent number. In both instances "it should've been better."

ONCE...I was happy with my game. My singles match with Ethan at the Grandaddy. I STRUGGLED off the tee. I mean, it looked like I had never hit a tee shot in my life; and it didn't matter whether I had driver or 9 iron in my hand, I simply could not get off the tee. But not only did I grind it out, I kept a positive attitude and a smile on my face...AND encouraged the others in my group. Towards the end of the match (I battled to 17, which is a miracle in of itself) our forecaddie Tim looked at me and said: "we're not supposed to root one way or another, but I'm a fan...." That made me happy.

When i consistently shoot in the low to mid 80's. While I will strive to break 80, I'll be happy with that type of improvement and maintaining that level.

Back