Titleist 913 Driver Set Up

bradley8302

Reaction score
Handicap
Need some help with my driver set up. I have been gaming a Titleist 910 D3 8.5* with a Matrix Black Tie xstiff for the past 4-5 years. I was recently looking around on eBay and found a brand new 913 D2 8.5* head that I scooped up for a great price. I hit my 910 great so I wasn't really looking for a new club, but figured that I might give the new head a try b/c maybe I can get some more distance out of it since it's newer. Also figured that if I hated it, I can put the RIP 60 that originally came with my 910 in it and sell if for more than I just bought the head for and make a few bucks. So I figured I really had nothing to lose.

So I stop by Edwin Watts to see a buddy that works there and hit some on the simulator with the new club. Set it up on A2, just like my 910 and the first 4-5 were great(as far as distance was concerned...I didn't check spin or launch), averaging around 285-295yds. My buddy comes back to check on me and watch some of my swings. The next 5 or so weren't as good, averaging 270-275; but he noticed that the spin was 4000rpm, which was obviously killing some of the distance(also wasn't making as good of contact as the first 5 or so).

I have read since the 913 came out that many Titleist fans think the 910 is still the superior driver; but like I previously mentioned, the deal was too good to pass up on this one. Are there any recommendations or settings I should try to lower that spin number? I'd like to give this club a fair shake before just putting it back up on the market. Thanks in advance. Mods please feel free to move if I posted in the wrong spot.

275 with higher spin would be a dream come true for me. That is huge carry numbers.
If you want to reduce the spin, try lowering the loft a degree at a time and see what happens.

On the simulator at Edwin Watts I never really clicked back to the statistics screen to see what my launch angle or any of the other stats were. My buddy is the one that noticed the spin. I was actually mainly focusing on the total distance number when it pops up shortly after the ball comes to rest, but do remember seeing somewhere around 260 carry on a few of them. He went and grabbed an M1 and a G30 LSTec for me to try, but neither had the right shaft in to show anything. He was trying to give me a club head with the weight adjusted forward to help lower the spin. Not sure I'd buy one of those anyway. If I can't get similar results as the 910 I'll just switch back and sell the 913.

Interesting. I actually had lower spin numbers with the 913 than the 910, and lower than the 915 I game right now for that matter. I used the B2 setting (slightly less upright.)

You may have to try a heavier shaft. I went through a Titleist Thursday fitting in early May and was getting close to 4000 rpm on shots that were relatively straight with my 915 D2 8.5* head and D+ White 70x shaft. Nothing they had lowered the spin for me with the D2 head. I ultimately went with the D+ 80x shaft. I have not been back on a monitor to see how much it corrected, but have hit it a few times and can tell it's definitely helping.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm planning on hitting the course after work tomm to see how I peg it for real and not hitting into a screen. We'll see how it goes.

Crazy how different clubs/shafts act for different people. I had a 913d3 with a ad di 6s shaft. I was getting the same spin numbers as you were. I went to get fitted for a new driver because of it. Actually went in thinking i would be leaving with an M1. Fitter had me hit everything. My most consistent numbers were with the 915D2 way less spin for me with the same shaft as the 913D3.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Back