Rank the next 3 months - The Open to Ryder Cup

cpljohnst

Go Jackets! Go Sun Devils
Reaction score
Handicap
16.0 GHIN
So the next 3 months on tour are jam packed with great events for the Men's game. The Open Championship, The PGA Championship, The Olympics, The FedEx Cup playoffs including the Tour Championship, The Ryder Cup. Of course there are a few other events in between too. Rank these 5 upcoming huge events based on your level of interest and how much you'll watch.

Here are mine:

1. Ryder Cup - Always compelling and so unique from the week in week out on tour.
2. The Open Championship - my 3rd favorite major. Weather has so much impact on the finish in many cases. Very different courses and conditions from what we see here in the states.
3. The FedEx Cup Playoffs & Tour Championship: I've become a big fan of the playoffs, and also the last event on the schedule - The Wyndham. I find the run to be in the top 125 to get your tour card compelling, and then each week of the playoffs leading up to East Lake so very interesting. For me I enjoy the race to grab the last few spots to advance each week, just as interesting as the leaders of that individual tournament.
4. The PGA Championship - my least favorite major. In many ways I find the The Players Championship superior now. I'll watch since it is a major.
5. Men's Golf in The Olympics - I had very little interest to begin with but with players dropping left and right, this is going to have a strange field. Likely not to watch the men's side at all. I may watch the Women, interesting that they've only had 1 player drop out.

Mine are those exactly. Maybe i would flip the PGA and FedEx just because i really enjoy all the majors but your right ive really become a big fan of the playoffs

1) Open Championship-I love the courses, I just hate the time difference and poopy weather
2) PGA- Still a major, majors are always above all else for me
3) Olympics- The players dropping out is dropping my excitement level, but the course should be excellent, and I'm excited that it sounds like the US should have a good chance, with everyone else dropping out
4) Ryder Cup- I like the Ryder Cup in theory, but never end up watching that much of it
5) Fedex Cup playoffs- This could have been 4, I'm more likely to watch than a normal tournament, but much less interested than I am in the majors

1 - The Olympics - First time in any of our lifetimes that golf has been in the Olympics.
1 - Ryder cup - Always exciting, and I love the team aspect of golf.
3 - The Open - Maybe my favorite major
4 - PGA Champ - Majors will trump "playoffs"
5 - Fedex Cup

Here are mine:

1. Ryder Cup - Always compelling and so unique from the week in week out on tour.
2. The Open Championship - my 3rd favorite major. Weather has so much impact on the finish in many cases. Very different courses and conditions from what we see here in the states.
3. The FedEx Cup Playoffs & Tour Championship: I've become a big fan of the playoffs, and also the last event on the schedule - The Wyndham. I find the run to be in the top 125 to get your tour card compelling, and then each week of the playoffs leading up to East Lake so very interesting. For me I enjoy the race to grab the last few spots to advance each week, just as interesting as the leaders of that individual tournament.
4. The PGA Championship - my least favorite major. In many ways I find the The Players Championship superior now. I'll watch since it is a major.
5. Men's Golf in The Olympics - I had very little interest to begin with but with players dropping left and right, this is going to have a strange field. Likely not to watch the men's side at all. I may watch the Women, interesting that they've only had 1 player drop out.
This is my order also.

1) Open Championship - I freaking love links golf and the history of the Open. Will watch as much as I can.
2) Ryder Cup - Love match play and love the spirit it generates.
3) Olympics - As much as there has been a bunch of crap with people dropping out, there is still enough talent in the field and it's so new that I will be interested regardless. Plus I hope this fiasco doesn't kneecap the future of golf in the Olympics, because it could be a big boon for the worldwide (read - not North America and Europe) growth of the game.
4) PGA Championship - My least favorite major as well, but it's still a major and has had it's share of exciting finishes.
5) Playoffs/Tour Championship - The playoff structure is kinda cool, but I can't help thinking it's kinda contrived and sometimes doesn't really identify the guy playing the best at that time. But it's golf, so I'll watch.

1) Ryder Cup - bout time we win this thing, eh boys?
2) Open Championship - the oldest major is always a fun early morning watch
3) PGA Championship - The Rodney Dangerfield of majors, but always one of the toughest fields and always an interesting golf course.
4) Fed Ex Cup Playoffs - A season long battle, coming down to the wire that's going to determine the fantasy golf champion? Yes please.
5) The Olympics - I honestly couldn't care less about the olympics, star withdrawls or not. I think the Olympics itself has become a silly event. I hope golf's inclusion does help grow the game, but I think there are problem other smarter ways of doing that (Augusta National does a good job here).

Barry, you're right on as far as I'm concerned. Ryder Cup. Always. Olympics last. Doesn't matter much to me.

1. Ryder Cup - Best golfing event to watch on TV
2. Open Championship - it's The Open Championship no other reason needed, haha.
3. PGA Championship - The final major of the year, always fun to watch majors
4. FedEx Cup - Not a huge fan of the format, but I'll still watch as it's fun to see players who are on the cusp each round fight to get in to that next round
5. Olympics - probably won't even watch. Have zero interest.

1. Ryder Cup - I'm a big fan of the event, always get amped up for it and think match play is so much more compelling to watch on tv.

2. The Open: the difference in the game and the courses is terrific and always signals to me the middle of summer. Strategy seems to be talked about a lot more for this major along with course architecture so it's interesting to me for sure.

3. PGA championship. I love the freedom of course selection and that there really isn't all that much talk about the course being tricked up and the like ala US Open. Always seems to be an exciting finish as well. The PGA does a lot right with it and unfortunately it doesn't get the amount of love it should.

4. FedEx playoffs: I enjoy it a lot; the course selections, the narrowing field and all the different excitement factors. Not only can a guy get hot during the playoffs and have a chance at winning, but it's exciting for the bubble guys trying to make the cut each week.

5. Olympics: I'm interested in seeing the course, but the format could have been so much more intriguing than stroke play. Hopefully we see golf again in four years in Japan, as I think the course, field and hopefully format will all be improved. The one good thing about all the drop outs is the US can get all the medals!

Ryder Cup.
Open Championship - just a great golf tournament, and we can watch in the morning!!
FedEx playoffs - lots of opportunities for guys to play golf that means a HUGE paycheck!
PGA - always has been the least compelling major, and it comes at a bad time for me, usually.
Olympics - while I love watching the Olympics, golf at the event probably will not have the draw that it hoped, and will probably be a down event for the average sports fan as well as the golf fan.

I agree, and as sad as it is, I have a feeling the Rio Olympic golf revival won't last too long.

Ryder Cup. Up there with the best sporting events in the world, not just golf.

The Open Championship. The most prestigious of the Majors as far as I'm concerned.

The PGA. Always a great field.

The FedEx Cup. Pointless.

Mens Golf In The Olympics. Even more pointless!!

1. Open Championship - has always been my favorite tournament of the year
2. PGA - it is a major
3. Ryder Cup - love the team event aspect and it is always exciting
4. Olympics - even with so many player dropping out, it is still the Olympics
5. FedEx Playoffs - fun to watch and follow but does not have the same appeal to me as a major or us competing against other countries

Back