Spinny Balls: Hop & Stop, or plan to suck it back?

I play for hop and stop but often get a foot or two of rollout.

I play hop and stop, unless I am playing Olde Stonewall then I plan on hop and suck back 40 yards.
I can verify this. Spinning back 8 iron shots 40 yards

I hope for hop and stop, but I tend to be more of a low spin, hit it and let it roll type of guy when I am closer to the green.

Normally when I hit a very good shot with a short to mid iron (lets say wedges up to 7irion) it comes in high enough and lands softly enough to stay within a few/several feet of its landing spot (within reason of green slope) and that is not playing a high end spinny ball. But in general I play with the expectation of some roll out. If greens are harder/faster on the given day, I'll play short on purpose but of course also depends on green slopes. And then...oh yeah....regardless of any of this I still have to make a good shot or nothing else matters anyway..lol. Its only ben rare I have ever spun the ball backwards. Its something only happens on rare occasion and did happen a tad more when I was on about a 15 tp 20 round stretch this season where I played the best golf (with the best ball striking I ever had)...:)....too bad it only lasted so long :(.
I went rom a 17 down to a 12.9 :) and yet finished my season I think about 16:(......talk about a roller coaster.

These are all hopes.. Doesn't always work out. Most of the time a spinner that sucks back hurts more than helps.

With that said. 50% of this is decided by the ball @ purchase. A good quality premium ball is the best investment for me on 40-100 yard shots. Wedge choice & technique are the other 50%. A hard cover ball is not going to spin enough for me below 60-70 yards to hop & stop or suck back. With hard balls trajectory is really the best option for staying with in your target.

40-50 yards - a hop and stop is what I would hope for at best. If the pin is in the back.. I will play for it to release & roll out to the pin. I like to keep the course in front of me when possible. If the pin is in the front i will try to flight it a little higher and plan for the first third of the greens depth. Not a fan of bouncing it onto the green.

50-70 yards a spinner becomes an option @ 7500 + rpm . Still play for the hop and stop because it is more consistent.

At 80-100 yards with 10000+ rpm that ball is probably coming back some for sure to some degree. This is great for front pins, bad for deep pins.

Long story short. If I could throw darts most of the time that would be great.. more traj than spin. Playing twilight and dropping balls is the best method of practice I have had with 40-100 yards. Real balls, real greens & time to play around. Good Luck.

When I'm striking the ball well with my wedges, there is a lot of spin and the ball and it spins back pretty good on soft greens, of course.

I prefer the stop and hop, although I don't always get it. I rarely suck the ball back more than a few inches anyways.

As a side note, have you tried maybe taking more club and then less swing to control the spin if you have 'suck it back' problems? Just curious.

~Rock

I like to have a little roll out. But not much.

Depends on yardage, course condition, weather conditions but normally from 50-120 I'm playing to hop n stop <50 I'm playing to release the ball to the hole if pin position allows it.

My distance/spin control is not good enough to land it 2yds long and bring it back, if there is a good back stop I may try to hit it and use that to bring the ball back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I try to play the "drop out of the sky and stop" shot with short irons, but from 9 thru my wedges, I can spin the ball back, so I have tried to play for those shots. Once I am above a 7 iron, I expect a little roll out (3-10 ft usually).
As for Olde Stonewall, I had a number of spin back shots with the E6, so it was clearly something about those greens.

I always plan for the hop and stop. I've never tried to play the spin back, i'm not that good.

I would love the hop and stop. I normally get the hop and roll a little further than I wanted it to.

I don't know how to spin, so I go for the hop and stop.

I prefer the stop and hop, although I don't always get it. I rarely suck the ball back more than a few inches anyways.

As a side note, have you tried maybe taking more club and then less swing to control the spin if you have 'suck it back' problems? Just curious.

~Rock

I haven't done this. I only do this when I'm in between clubs typically. But not with the specific goal of controlling spin.

Your post does make me think, though, that I should vary my approach depending on whether or not the pin is in the front or back of the green. Most of the time I'm pin high or a little short on approaches, and when the pin is in the back, I'm usually short of it. I should change my approach style for them, I think.

I play the hop and stop. Or try to stop it right in it's place. Never play for spin, since mine don't spin every shot.

Sucking it back is good for tight front pins . Hop and stop for others with less risk coming up a little short. Not that I'm proficient at spinning it back on command.

well,......after reading all in this thread one thing occurred to me. Being many of you here are lower cappers (single digits) it must be fun to hit greens often enough to even worry about this stuff. I commented in the thread earlier anyway but I have to be honest,....greens are not what I am hitting to any large amount. lol

For me it depends on the club I am hitting and the type of swing I am putting on the ball. If I really hit down (my normal swing) on anything less than an 8i I know to expect some back spin. Just like planning for release, it is something that you get used to and it just becomes part of your game. I rarely think about it, its just part of my game. I prefer carrying long and pulling it back to having to land short and release forward, especially on front pins.

Spinny Balls: Hop &amp; Stop, or plan to suck it back?

Spinny Balls: Hop &amp; Stop, or plan to suck it back?

With my irons I like to have it hit with minimal roll out. My wedges I want to hop and stop.

Last edited:
I adjust how spinny my ball is to the greens so a normal wedge shot sucks back less than 6 feet which means a normal mid iron will stop very near it's ball mark. The Maxfli U6 suits my home course perfectly most of the year.

I usually try and hit for the target distance. Between my wedges and my 6i there is generally about a 5 yard window I expect the ball to stop in on a good shot. Usually it wont suck back much more than a yard or two on the shorter clubs and i don't expect more than 2-3 yards of rollout on some of the longer ones.

This is with a well hit shot, if I catch it thin all bets are off.

I usually just play the high ball to land like a ton of bricks.

This is my approach. I'm not good enough to plan for sucking it back and knowing where it will stop.

Anytime I spin one back more than a couple of inches it's a total fluke.....so it's not something that I worry too much about.

I don't consistently get the spin to plan for any result in particular. Luckily I hit the ball high, and have high launching irons. 6 iron on down doesn't usually stray too far from the ball mark.

I don't generate a ton of spin to bring them back consistently but it happens on occasion. I plan on the hop and stop most of the time.

Hop and stop for me. I will occasionally suck on me back but don't plan on it or intend to.

This is me as well. I get excited if I suck one back, unless I land it on the pin and I'm further away then I'm slightly dejected

Back