Charl Schwartzel joins PXG

I guess it's a good signing but he would be a force if he could putt (by the Pro's standards - not mine)! Great swing and ball striker. He usually is in contention IF he putts better than his usual!!

Meh, doesn't make me want to try PXG any more or less.

He must be on point with the new equipment to switch like this right before a Major!

thats weird to make a change middle of the season. Most of the time these guys will change in like January. Wonder if its a 14 club deal or maybe just irons?

According to some sources I've heard driver, irons and wedge. Also, Callaway fairway and Ping putter. Although the pic a few posts up from BirdieBob shows a Scotty.

Think this is the first time I have heard of a mid season change. Good for him as long as it works for him.

I think some people are muddling the feeling about the brand with the players they sign, sure PXG is expensive, that's the way they wanted, an ultra premium brand. Is that to say the equipment isn't innovative or of high quality that helps even the tour players to better their game? I don't have before and after equipment change statistics to back up if the change is better or worse for the players, regardless these are major champions and multiple tour winners, to change a set of equipment regardless of time frame is a big change, I hardly think it'd be money alone that would warrant such change, any self respecting golfer would rather play better than simply do it for the money.

I find it laughable that some would think something they wouldn't consider for themselves isn't worthy of consideration and translate such feelings towards those who do make the change, even if they are Professional golfers.

how could that ever be a bad thing? wouldn't you want the people you pay to represent your brand actually represent your brand and how you want people to perceive it? when i think "extreme golf" rocco mediate and christie kerr aren't at the forefront of my mind, or any of the other signees for that matter.

Interesting timing, but cool signing for them.

Very interesting and to think people were saying he was a sleeper to take the Claret Jug this week. Hmmmm.

how could that ever be a bad thing? wouldn't you want the people you pay to represent your brand actually represent your brand and how you want people to perceive it? when i think "extreme golf" rocco mediate and christie kerr aren't at the forefront of my mind, or any of the other signees for that matter.
To assume that line of thinking to be true is to say who you sign is far more important than what you sell, if such is the case I wonder why Nike isn't number one in any category with all the top players they sign, sure they benefit from exposure of a higher profile signee but it's irrelevant if your goal is an ultra premium brand, the very idea speaks niche and rare as opposed to popular and volume sales. Not knowing the equipment personally, the fact that players switch over mid season and supposedly less sponsorship money, it speaks more volumes to me than if some higher profile players get signed on for big dollar contract.

Ultimately if your player is doing well immediately after switching, it's far more important than being world number 1 then having a terrible transition to adjust to the equipment (Rory/Nike)

I don't see this as a big signing. Sure he's a Masters Champion, but it's not like he's moving the needle.

I have to respectfully disagree .. if you look at who Parsons golf has signed and who are now using his equipment ...i believe this was the 3rd major champion .. and he has players on the 3 major US tours using PXG stuff ... and at this last weekend Scottish Open Patrick Reed had a iron or wedge so PXG equipment is getting around and i bet it would have people buying their stuff .. that's if a iron set wasn't $3000 or so ..

To assume that line of thinking to be true is to say who you sign is far more important than what you sell, if such is the case I wonder why Nike isn't number one in any category with all the top players they sign, sure they benefit from exposure of a higher profile signee but it's irreverent if your goal is an ultra premium brand, the very idea speaks niche and rare as opposed to popular and volume sales. Not knowing the equipment personally, the fact that players switch over mid season and supposedly less sponsorship money, it speaks more volumes to me than if some higher profile players get signed on for big dollar contract.

Ultimately if your player is doing well immediately after switching, it's far more important than being world number 1 then having a terrible transition to adjust to the equipment (Rory/Nike)

i think the nike example actually proves the point that who you pick is a much bigger deal than what you sell to some companies. without rory or tiger, i don't think nike would even be at the table for the vast majority of consumers. it seems like their advertising is about the man not the equipment.

why sign anybody? why not just market your clubs? of course who you sign matters. afaik xxio hasn't signed anybody here in the states and they're an ultra premium brand that has distribution here in the states, and in big box stores so not just boutique retailers. bob parsons is a smart dude, and he has openly admitted his clubs are for a specific niche. how the people they are signing helps him get at that niche is beyond me.

it doesn't speak volumes to me at all, but that doesn't mean i think you're wrong. if signing charl schwartzel makes you give pxg a second look, then the signing worked to that extent.

Edited - Sometimes its best left unsaid.

yeah, i wasn't sure about that either but i don't have access to the numbers.

i don't fault guys like james hahn or chris kirk or billy horschel, or women like gernia piller for jumping to pxg. the headscratcher to me is someone like zach johnson, or christie kerr. they've been around awhile with a lot of career winnings and sponsorship money. is the switch really going to make that much of a dent in their total net worth?

yeah, i wasn't sure about that either but i don't have access to the numbers.

i don't fault guys like james hahn or chris kirk or billy horschel, or women like gernia piller for jumping to pxg. the headscratcher to me is someone like zach johnson, or christie kerr. they've been around awhile with a lot of career winnings and sponsorship money. is the switch really going to make that much of a dent in their total net worth?

Take a gander at Kerr's sponsorships for the last decade...haha

i think the nike example actually proves the point that who you pick is a much bigger deal than what you sell to some companies. without rory or tiger, i don't think nike would even be at the table for the vast majority of consumers. it seems like their advertising is about the man not the equipment.

why sign anybody? why not just market your clubs? of course who you sign matters. afaik xxio hasn't signed anybody here in the states and they're an ultra premium brand that has distribution here in the states, and in big box stores so not just boutique retailers. bob parsons is a smart dude, and he has openly admitted his clubs are for a specific niche. how the people they are signing helps him get at that niche is beyond me.

it doesn't speak volumes to me at all, but that doesn't mean i think you're wrong. if signing charl schwartzel makes you give pxg a second look, then the signing worked to that extent.
It certainly does mean a whole lot that any and recent major champion would switch anything at all. If not to get better I don't see what for, I see a group of winners that made a switch for a reason, and it appears for now it's not a financial one.

When a brand claims they have the best equipment and you have many players among the best in the world sign on, even half way through a session, it certainly piques my interest.

As for Nike, they spent a whole lot of money to get some market share how ever little that may be, meanwhile so far PXG appears to be marketing and signing players in a different way and still getting their share of the market, it remains to be seen if the market penetration is real and a sustainable one, but if they've got the money, I guess it isn't so much about how much money they'll make, but the fact that they are doing it their way and still making some waves in a oligopoly sector.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

It certainly does mean a whole lot that any and recent major champion would switch anything at all. If not to get better I don't see what for, I see a group of winners that made a switch for a reason, and it appears for now it's not a financial one.

When a brand claims they have the best equipment and you have many players among the best in the world sign on, even half way through a session, it certainly piques my interest.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

so when ben curtis and shaun micheel switch you'll drop the $3k for a new set? i kid (kinda)

i think these guys could wax the floor with me with just about any off-the-rack set. they were plus handicaps with old tech, they don't need pxg's equipment to stay that way. personally, who plays what doesn't really influence me (or maybe it does and i don't realize it!) because for me it's a financial decision. i don't think rory switched to nike because his titleist clubs were crap. and i don't think ryan moore has bounced around to 1,428 difference companies in search of the best equipment. it's about the bottom line. period.

Dang it. Had Schwartel in an Open contest. Now I'm wondering if I should drop him for making this move. haha.

They must be paying him a ton to switch before a major

thats weird to make a change middle of the season. Most of the time these guys will change in like January. Wonder if its a 14 club deal or maybe just irons?

Money talks.........

With his swing, I'm sure he can make any club work.

Interesting move for Charl. Maybe it gets him back to being competitive in tournaments on a regular basis again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

According to some sources I've heard driver, irons and wedge. Also, Callaway fairway and Ping putter. Although the pic a few posts up from BirdieBob shows a Scotty.

I like to see guys with a mixed bag and not just one brand

Interesting move for Charl. Maybe it gets him back to being competitive in tournaments on a regular basis again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Didn't he win this year across the pond?

Back