Player most likely to choke under pressure?

Garcia is first in my mind...which is why I naturally chose him in the British Open contest thread! Westwood comes up small at well at crunch time. I didn't think about Stenson until Rob mentioned it, but he is up there to.

Because you have to be leading or close late in a tournament to choke right? I mean I could say Bowditch but he doesn't make it to Sunday.

you SHOULD say bowditch because that would be the greatest answer in this thread

Definitely RORS

Gotta be Sergio

I hate to say it because i love the guy and hope he wins this thing, but i think my answer is Phil. I think his style of play just sets him up for boom or bust. He takes risks most wont, tries to convert on the impossible shot a lot and tinkers with his clubs (especially his putter) a lot. Not all are bad and the guy has made a HOF career out of doing these things, but i think the fact that he plays the way he does sets him up to be "most likely" to choke over the others. The other players are just too unpredictable now a days. There is no clear dominant closer like weve seen in the past. There is a ton of parody in todays PGA Tour

I can't believe hoe many Day and Spieth votes we are seeing, considering they have won 15 times in the past year and a half. That I'd an awful lot of non choking.

They aren't the closers tiger was, but hardly choke artists as a whole.
I was about to say the same thing. I guess that means Nicklaus's 19 second place finishes in Majors makes him the greatest choker of all time :D

Stenson and Sergio come to mind, along with Westwood.

Sergio and DJ have to be at the top of the list.

Even though he has 5 Majors, I still don't trust Mickelson.

Sergio....thread closer?

Honestly, I'd still count on DJ to choke.

Things feel in place for him at the US Open. No one was really pushing him. Biggest thing he had to overcome was the asinine "ruling" by USGA.

I think Day doesn't quite have the ability to get over an awful shot or hole on the back 9 on Sunday.
If he makes no mistakes he is untouchable but one big error and you can count him out.

Honestly, I'd still count on DJ to choke.

Things feel in place for him at the US Open. No one was really pushing him. Biggest thing he had to overcome was the asinine "ruling" by USGA.
It certainly wouldn't shock me to see it happen again in the future. I think confidence is the biggest thing when it comes to choking. He has it right now after back to back wins against stacked fields, I'd be surprised if it happened this weekend.

Usually it is the person I pick in the Major's contest who has a complete melt down LOL.

Most likely for me, Bubba.

DJ isn't gonna choke. I think he'll play solid golf, but I don't think he'll win. I really hope my horse comes in on this race!

I think the biggest choke of the tourney will be Rory... if he ever gets going. I could see him chucking a few clubs before the weekend is over.

I agree. He has certainly choked away his share of tournaments over the years. My other would be Rickie.

Sergio....thread closer?
You saved me from typing it. The thread should be who is the 2nd most likely person to choke under pressure

I hate to say it because i love the guy and hope he wins this thing, but i think my answer is Phil. I think his style of play just sets him up for boom or bust. He takes risks most wont, tries to convert on the impossible shot a lot and tinkers with his clubs (especially his putter) a lot. Not all are bad and the guy has made a HOF career out of doing these things, but i think the fact that he plays the way he does sets him up to be "most likely" to choke over the others. The other players are just too unpredictable now a days. There is no clear dominant closer like weve seen in the past. There is a ton of parody in todays PGA Tour
See above ^

I agree

Reed if he can ever get back to being in contention on Sundays.

Scott, Westwood, Phil.

To me the first name that comes to mind here is Henrik Stenson.

He obviously has one of the best games of anyone, and he always seems to find himself in contention at majors, but always fades away with either a major mistake or something.

Winner winner chicken dinner! I can't figure him out and why he hasn't done better. Putter issues for sure but mentally he just can't close it out when in contention.

Winner winner chicken dinner! I can't figure him out and why he hasn't done better. Putter issues for sure but mentally he just can't close it out when in contention.
And yet I can't help myself from picking him in so many contests, thinking...."Surely this is the time he gets it done" What's the old saying, fool me once shame on you, fool me again...shame on me..HA

Sergio seems to have been around in these trying tournaments recently...US Opens, The Open, and it's like you can count on him hitting into some weird @## lie or something random and then the wheels come off. Thankfully for him this week he was picked by THP Radio. Other than him I think it's Lee Westwood. Wow how he fell apart on Sunday in the US Open.

Sergio....thread closer?

My first thought as well. Once you tell yourself over and over, you can't, then you can't............

he seems to be the most mentally fragile of the big names. Kinda shows up for a couple,rounds then disappears. Can't tell between him or Colsaerts is a bigger let down with the taken they have

Henrik Stensen, he is due to win a major but he just can't seem to put four solid rounds together.

Back