Driver vs 3 Wood Off the Tee?

driver wherever possible, less than driver only when the hole dictates and with the goal of hitting the club that will go the farthest without getting me in trouble

i would be curious to know how much farther stenson hit his driver this week than his 3w

Driver - I need all the length I can squeeze out of it. Not many golfers can get 300+ yards from their 3-wood!

Driver, its just natural that I pick it up.

I keep swearing that I going to go with the safer play, the 3 wood, but I never do.

I would rather hit driver but if I feel the struggle coming on, I have no problem going to my 3W.

I had this discussion with Pudge while we played this weekend.

Driver for me the majority of the time. The reason being that I miss high and low on the face off the tee, and while that can be penalizing with driver, it can lead to 30 yard shots with the 3 wood. I've never found I gain a significant advantage with 3 wood, unless I'm really struggling with the driver I have in the bag.

I use to tee off with a 3 FW when I couldn't hit a driver and I could average about 210 yds with it. But now that I can hit a driver I prefer using that for my tee shots because it produces drives of 230 -250 yds and more for me.

This is something I've thought about a lately. I have tried to use my heavenwood off the tee more lately on shorter/tighter holes. I still pull driver a majority of times but it's turning for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use driver more. The face is bigger and it's more forgiving. I hit 3W off the tee not because I can't hit driver, but more because of hole design. Obviously, the 3W doesn't go quite as far, and also it's a little easier for me to work the 3W right to left. Conversely, I have an easier time fading the driver.

Driver. It's one of the most consistent clubs in my bag and usually puts me in good position.

This is something that has changed recently, the new addition of my driver which instills confidence made this an easy choice. Before it would be 3 wood most of the time . Also depending on hazards and distance of the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm drifting more and more towards my 3W, it has been a fairway finding missile and is plenty long enough for any course I play. I'm slowly convincing myself to only pull the driver when there is enough margin for error that I can get away with it.

Generally, for a hole about 400 yards or less I'll hit 3W or hybrid. But if conditions and layout permits, I'd prefer driver.

I probably tee off with a 3wd more than most; if all I need is a 3wd to get inside 150 or so I'll always use it, unless the fairway is wide.

This year has mostly been 3 wood for me and i dont really lose much distance from my driver. At Regional Rivalry i dont think i hit driver a handful of times and spent most of the event in the fairway with short irons and wedges in my hands. The 816 14* is a really good fit for me. Recently my driver swing has gotten much better and Im sort of in a groove with the driver so i have been playing a little more aggressive with it but when it counts and i HAVE to hit a fairway, its 3 wood

Driver.. Relationship with 3 wood has been off and on the last year or so. Driver on the other hand has been great, so on a drive I really need it is the club I am going with.

Depends on course and conditions. On my homecourse and normal conditions it is appr 70-30 in favor for driver

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I recently purchased a Big Bertha mini. I have been using it off the tee for the last 2 rounds. As long as my driver and a little more accurate.

I see i am different from most THPers. i prefer to hit driver on every hole that i can. i wont on holes with forced carry or hazards that driver will get me into. my thinking is i like to get into a groove with the driver because i am going to eventually need it on the par 5's and 450+ yd par 4 holes so hitting it on shorter par 4's is like a warm up/getting into a groove the more i hit it.

I don't have a 3 wood, but I definitely use Driver off the tee more often compared to my 5 wood. I'm much more confident with my driver compared to my 5 wood and I get a ton more distance. I'll use my 5 wood when I need less distance, but my accuracy is just better with my driver. If I had a 3 wood that I was very confident in and got decent distance, I'd likely use it often.

Driver unless I'm trying to lay up a bit. There's a couple holes on my course that I should probably be hitting with the Heavenwood.

I can get away with using my 5 wood (I don't carry a 3 wood) off the tee on a majority of the courses I play. I have way more control with it than I do with my driver.

But that doesn't necessarily stop me from letting the big dog eat :D It's probably 60/40 or 70/30 Driver/5 Wood

I hit driver more often and not sure why really. I hit My 815 3w far enough that it can be a weapon, but for some reason I continue to pull driver.

I rarely use a wood, but when I do it is off a tee.

Driver still for me, but its exponentially closer as time goes on. A typical round for me now is 8 drivers to 6 3w from the tees. I don't lose a lot of distance with it, I gain launch, and it's more dependable for me even as my driver swing has improved.

Back