Aerotech SteelFiber Shaft Thread

Definitely give them a call tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

Tell Rob that Alan sent you. He's a good guy. Going there for a fitting is like being a kid in a candy store.

You get my message. Not sure if they are going through.

I got the pm, just have t had time to respond. Finals week for grad school.

Well I am on the Aerotech train now, I hit all the Graphite Shafts I could find today including the real expensive ones (MCI and Matrix at their booths) and the 110 in Stiff was the best for me.

Not that there was anything wrong the the others, but the Steelfiber just seemed to load better with my swing. It was a really nice smooth feel to it, even with my herky jerky swing. If I had to compare it to a Steel shaft I would say the CTL, but all that is subjective to the person.

Looking at maybe giving these a run in my Mizunos. Just can't decide between i110 and i95. If Kuch and Sneds can rock i95, whats the benefit of i110?

Looking at maybe giving these a run in my Mizunos. Just can't decide between i110 and i95. If Kuch and Sneds can rock i95, whats the benefit of i110?

short response: i find these shafts to be wildly inconsistent, and regret my purchase.

longer response: i gamed the 110 in s flex for about 6 months, then switched to the 95 in regular flex. personally, i don't like either, and if i wasn't already $1k into the shafts (initial upgrade cost + new shafts, grips and install), i would switch in a heartbeat.

here's what i haven't enjoyed about these shafts:
- less spin. before, most of my short- and mid-iron shots would stop within a few inches of their pitchmark, at most a foot. now it's several feet.
- inconsistent ball flights. some shots are high, towering. others are mid-flight. no idea why the differences.
- requires a heavy load. this seems counterintuitive to switching from steel to graphite, but unless i really focus on lagging with these, i'm going to lose at least 10 yards of distance. with my old shafts (nippon 1150gh s flex), i casted more but had more distance.
- fat butt end. not sure if i'm perceiving this but it's not real, or maybe my fitter added extra wraps because my miss can be a hook, but these feel too big in my small carnie hands.

to be fair, i have only tried these shafts in my current set of irons, and i haven't tried any steel shafts in these irons so i'm not comparing apples to apples.

why did i buy these in the first place? when testing my irons, i tried the 110 s flex against ping's cfs s flex, and preferred these aerotechs. since then my swing has gotten better (according to my instructor), but i'm hitting fewer greens and i've lost distance. i went to a fitter to see if a different shaft may work, and tried the 110 s flex against recoil, kbs, and the 95 r flex, and the 95 r flex was best. but on the course, the results have been all over the place.

short response: i find these shafts to be wildly inconsistent, and regret my purchase.

longer response: i gamed the 110 in s flex for about 6 months, then switched to the 95 in regular flex. personally, i don't like either, and if i wasn't already $1k into the shafts (initial upgrade cost + new shafts, grips and install), i would switch in a heartbeat.

here's what i haven't enjoyed about these shafts:
- less spin. before, most of my short- and mid-iron shots would stop within a few inches of their pitchmark, at most a foot. now it's several feet.
- inconsistent ball flights. some shots are high, towering. others are mid-flight. no idea why the differences.
- requires a heavy load. this seems counterintuitive to switching from steel to graphite, but unless i really focus on lagging with these, i'm going to lose at least 10 yards of distance. with my old shafts (nippon 1150gh s flex), i casted more but had more distance.
- fat butt end. not sure if i'm perceiving this but it's not real, or maybe my fitter added extra wraps because my miss can be a hook, but these feel too big in my small carnie hands.

to be fair, i have only tried these shafts in my current set of irons, and i haven't tried any steel shafts in these irons so i'm not comparing apples to apples.

why did i buy these in the first place? when testing my irons, i tried the 110 s flex against ping's cfs s flex, and preferred these aerotechs. since then my swing has gotten better (according to my instructor), but i'm hitting fewer greens and i've lost distance. i went to a fitter to see if a different shaft may work, and tried the 110 s flex against recoil, kbs, and the 95 r flex, and the 95 r flex was best. but on the course, the results have been all over the place.

Sorry to hear this! I was considering them in a new set of Bridgestone irons but now I will have to do additional testing to make sure they work on the course first! I appreciate your input!!

I think it's more about what works for you and your swing dude. Weight is a preference, right?

I think it's more about what works for you and your swing dude. Weight is a preference, right?

I honestly don't know. I am trying to be more open minded about what works vs doesn't work. I have always seemed to prefer heavier weight steel but if there are real advantages in lightweight while maintaining feel and performance I would like to take advantage.

There are a few who enjoy these, including me. Granted, I hit The i80's. But I find them very consistent and they are very balanced for being so stable. I know Kang likes the heavier shafts in these,so maybe he will chime in.

I've enjoyed the i95s in the R flex. Normally a stiff flex in steel, but glad I went with the R flex. Higher ball flight than I've ever gotten and no distance loss.

I game the 125g stiff currently and I love them. Coming from 130 ish gram steel shafts, I gain almost a full club in distance and my wrist is thankful after rounds.

I've enjoyed the i95s in the R flex. Normally a stiff flex in steel, but glad I went with the R flex. Higher ball flight than I've ever gotten and no distance loss.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well, I have them in TM CB's.

Going to give the 125's a go in a set I just grabbed from Kang. I have hit them a bit in other irons and have been impressed. I will say they do not have the same amount of dampening as the recoils. I think they play much closer to a steel shaft which for me I enjoy thus far. More to come when I get full rounds in with them

The 110S have been very good so far, I need more rounds with them to get used to the yardages and the different feel from the Tour 90 I was playing.
They are straight with any kind of decent swing, after a lot more rounds if they still feel a bit too stout I may soft step them.

I've had my i110s for almost exactly a year now. My hdcp has dropped from around just shy of 15 to 10.8 and the irons and these shafts are a big part of it. If I put a good swing on the ball I get outstanding results in both distance and accuracy. I get a lot of spin - long irons well struck will release 6-10 feet, mid irons stop in their tracks, short irons and wedges back up a little. No wrist pain. I used to average 2-4 GIR per round, now I average 5-7, and the ones I miss are either much closer for easier scrambling or else I don't hit the GIR because of a bad tee shot and no chance at it. On Par 3s I feel especially confident and have really improved my par 3 scoring because I trust the shaft so much.

aerotech i95

aerotech i95

posted this elsewhere, but I am swapping my i110cw s flex for i95cw r flex. 6i chs increased 3mph, so 8-10y increase in distance.

per the fitter, the i110 s flex plays more like a soft x flex, and my push draw was just a push, with inconsistent trajectory. the i95 r flex was drawing back nicely and was more consistent.

So I would like to get some feedback from you. I hear aerotech steelfiber i95 reg are pretty stiff. Is that true? I'm going back and fourth from reg and stiff. Right now I'm gaming the j40s with the project x flighted 5.5 shafts. I Want to switch to i95. Please help

posted this elsewhere, but I am swapping my i110cw s flex for i95cw r flex. 6i chs increased 3mph, so 8-10y increase in distance.

per the fitter, the i110 s flex plays more like a soft x flex, and my push draw was just a push, with inconsistent trajectory. the i95 r flex was drawing back nicely and was more consistent.

So I would like to get some feedback from you. I hear aerotech steelfiber i95 reg are pretty stiff. Is that true? I'm going back and fourth from reg and stiff. Right now I'm gaming the j40s with the project x flighted 5.5 shafts. I Want to switch to i95. Please help

to answer your question, yes these play stiff to flex. i think they're made for people who have joint issues or are looking for something a little lighter, but still swing quickly and load the shaft well. i don't feel like these are graphite shafts like we used to think about graphite shafts: lighter, for less strong swingers, lots of kick. if anything, i think these have very low kick (or maybe i mean a high kick point???).

that quote is from when i was actually fitted, and put into the i95 r flex. i'm still here to tell you that i don't love them. i don't know how to describe it, but it's like these really need to be loaded to perform well. i'll give you an example: i can make a smooth, "normal" transition for me that has a light load with my pw and it will go about 115-120 if i make good contact, then if i load the shaft, it will go 130-135. that's a massive distance dispersion. with my old irons, normal pw was 120-125 with steel s flex.

left-to-right dispersion is really good with these shafts, probably better than anything i've played before (ttdg, px flighted 5.5, rifle flighted, nippon 1150gh).

trajectory dispersion is a complete guessing game. sometimes high, sometimes mid. the shape of the flight is also tough to judge.

good luck!

I like others have found the i110cw stiff flex to be too stout for my swing. I was previously playing KBS Tour-V stiffs. Therefore I'm moving to the i95cw regular flex and hope it works in my G30 irons.

So I used to play players spec x flex in these shafts. I really had to swing em to get distance at all. Switched to stiff. If I get lazy they still do the same thing

I got on a few real good swings today and saw a big jump in distance over the Tour 90, seems you have to really load these to see a real performance difference.
Normal "easy" swings produce good straight shots but I was coming up short, when I did load it correctly I flew a couple of greens.

Might just have to soft step these 110 stiffs, might make them more user friendly. I am going to have my club guy pull a grip and CPM them just to see what I have here.

Kind of makes me wonder if the demo clubs I hit at the PGA show were not straight in Stiffs, maybe put it a bit soft for the masses to try. They sure seemed softer than my sticks or I would have gone with the 95 Stiff on this build.

I got on a few real good swings today and saw a big jump in distance over the Tour 90, seems you have to really load these to see a real performance difference.
Normal "easy" swings produce good straight shots but I was coming up short, when I did load it correctly I flew a couple of greens.

Might just have to soft step these 110 stiffs, might make them more user friendly. I am going to have my club guy pull a grip and CPM them just to see what I have here.

Kind of makes me wonder if the demo clubs I hit at the PGA show were not straight in Stiffs, maybe put it a bit soft for the masses to try. They sure seemed softer than my sticks or I would have gone with the 95 Stiff on this build.

FYI, my 6-iron (with a straight in i110cw stiff shaft) cpm'd at 320. That borders on XX-Stiff on most cpm charts. Hence why I'm moving down to i95cw regulars.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ah ha, that would explain it. As much as I hate to mess with factory installed shafts I have way too much money in these to fight them and I love the 545 heads. I am convinced now the demo clubs could not have been straight in stiff because they felt like butter. Now that was the Bridgestone J15DF head but they weigh the same +/- a gram or so.

Ah ha, that would explain it. As much as I hate to mess with factory installed shafts I have way too much money in these to fight them and I love the 545 heads. I am convinced now the demo clubs could not have been straight in stiff because they felt like butter. Now that was the Bridgestone J15DF head but they weigh the same +/- a gram or so.

bro, that is my biggest dilemma right now. i paid to factory-install i110cw s flex from ping, then paid to pull those and replace with i95cw r flex from a fitter. i have more $ tied up in these shafts than i do in the iron heads.

your comment above about loading is why i'm struggling so much with what to do about these. i'm not a natural loader of the golf club. it's a swing flaw i've had since i first picked up a club. but to come up a club short with one swing, then load the shaft and fly a green, it's incredibly frustrating.

Here's the reply I received from Aerotech when I emailed them to discuss the shaft stiffness:

Hi,

Thanks for the email. I am sorry to hear about your issue. In terms of the stiffness and the 320 CPM measurement on the 6 iron, there is no question that is a high reading although depending on the chart used could range from below a 6.0 to above a 7.0. The fm scale made so popular by Project X does not cross over to composite shafts. This being said, I would still be curious to measure the shaft myself since our shafts are known for reading soft on the butt CPM readings used for that scale.

Perhaps you could call me on Monday or let me know a time I could call you and we could discuss your experience. I am in 9-5 PST.

All the best, CJ

Chris T Jorgensen
Director, Club Fitting Services
Aerotech Golf .LLC
1971 Midway Lane, Suite J
Bellingham, WA 98226
TF: 888.733.8988
PH: 360.312.5522
FX: 360.312.5524

I definitely plan on calling him but based on some of the other experiences I've read in this email string I'm wondering if it would be best to move away from Aerotech all together? Choices, choices.

Back