Srixon 545 vs 745 irons

semi

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently play the 545's and absolutely love them. My current hdcp is now around 12.5. I could get a really good deal on the 745's now that the 765's are out BUT my big concern is, am i getting into too much of an iron for me. I haven't seen or played the 745's since no one around here sells them so they would be a blind buy just like my 545's were.

Are they too much for a 12.5 hdcp? are they much more difficult to hit than my 545's? how forgiving are they? Please share any experience.

What are you trying to get out of the 745s that the 545s are not doing for you?

Imo, they're a good bit more demanding, and even as good as they are for a players CB, they're going to be more penal than what you're playing in the 545 on misses.

I second the question JB asked, what are you hoping to gain with the move? Particularly if the 545 are clicking so well. (Though I do know it is a ton of fun to tinker!!!)

They will be shiny and new, but as Jman said, also more penal on mishits. I am sticking with the 545 for the foreseeable future because I really enjoy the forgiveness they afford.

I hit both the 545 and 745 when I was fitted for mine last year (I got the 545) and as a mid-handicap I found the 745 a little bit too penal on the misses so it made more sense to go for the 545

I honestly can't see me swapping them out for anything else in the near future as they are just so nice to hit (and won me 3rd place in our UK gathering this weekend)

I've hit both, 545s are definitely more forgiving IMO.

thanks, only reason is i could get a good deal, and figured playing a little more demanding iron may help improve my game at some point. Maybe not at first but tinkering with more of a players iron has some appeal to me. Think i will just stick with the 545's as they are stellar irons.

I'm an 11-12 hcp and have no problem with the 745's at all and have been hitting them straighter than my prior Apex 14's with similar distance, even on flat out misses. I can also hit a better variety of shots for some reason too (high, low) as well as fades.

I only go up to 6 iron though, and my miss is not on the toe or low on the face - so I could probably play anything.

Definitely hang on to the 545's, but for the heck of it, try out a 745 7 iron somewhere and you'll see the difference. 745 is definitely less forgiving but not as much as it would appear based on their looks.

Srixon made these fit together in combo's very easily so you could always play with a 745 PW, 9, 8 and experiment and have some fun.

I might grab a 545 4 or 5 iron if one pops up on Ebay just for fun and to use as an under tree rescue club at certain courses where I don't need both my hybrids. I have a 745 3 iron laying around and that thing is definitely not user friendly for me so at that end of the 745's they will get sketchy.

Back