Quest for iron set between GI and Players Irons

dloweman

Reaction score
Handicap
I was in search of finding some new irons to replace my Mizuno MP60s. I am an 11 handicap and was looking for something with a little more forgiveness since my ball striking isn't quite what it used to be. I have a clubhead speed with my 7 iron of 86MPH with a carry of 181 Yards from my Fitting Session.

I put in atleast half a dozen demo sessions at golftown hitting the Titleist ap1 and ap2, callaway apex cf16, ping G and I, TM M2, Mizuno MP25 and JPX850. After the first session I really liked the Apex, they were really hot off of the club face and was getting great distances compared to the others, but was spraying them a bit. I wanted to like the AP2's as they were what I was wanting/planning to buy but they were just okay, didn't hit them all that well unfortunately. AP1's and Ping I's I didn't really care for either. I did hit the G's well and liked the consistency but they felt too big and the distance wasn't really there for me. The M2's I hit well the first time but lacked consistency the next couple sessions. The mizuno MP25 felt really good like all mizunos do and familiar to me so they made the short list with the Callaway Apex, and Titleist AP2 (cause I want to like them).

I was in no hurry to buy so I tested these 3 clubs out a couple more times. In my 5th session the guy mentioned that he loved the Ping I and another employee had just bought the Cobra Forged TEC irons so he went to grab me both to hit. He gave me one and I hit it probably 10 times, striping it almost every time and I said to him wow these pings feel great and he replied that those are the cobra's. I was shocked with the results very tight dispersion and great distance, maybe a yard or two shorter than the Apexs. I chalked it up to just getting into a groove with my swing and went home.

The next day I had to go back and try them all again, AP2 unfortunately I just couldn't strike them consistently even though they did feel good and launch high, just lack distance and consistency. Mizuno's didn't have the distance and forgiveness I was looking for. So it came down to the Cobra Forged TEC and Callaway Apex CF16. I really studied the look of both irons from 5 iron down to gw. The apex heads were a tiny bit smaller but I didn't like the shape of the head as much as the Cobras. The apex had more offset which I didn't care for and the 5 iron you could see the cavity back at address which was a turn off. The cobras were a bit thicker top line but the shape and size were really nice looking.

On to the demo. I tried them both with different shaft combinations on the launch monitors and distances and results were fairly similar between the two clubs however the dispersion left and right were again much better with the Cobra's than the Callaway's. I had the guy put a green on the screen where I was landing my irons (roughly 180) and the one thing I noticed was when the cobras landed on the green they one or two hopped and then backed up a bit when the apexs were one or two hopping and then releasing 2 or 3 yards. The spin was a little better on the cobras and that was apparent on the interaction with the green. So, after over 10 hours of demoing clubs and talking to many different sales people I ended up getting fitted for the Cobra Forged TEC irons which I wouldn't even have hit (and didn't the first 4 demo sessions) had one salesman not recommended them to me. After the fitting I ended up with the KBS C-taper Lite shafts in Stiff flex, 1 degree upright, standard length and couldn't be happier!!!

Last edited:
Congrats on the new sticks! Glad you found a set that work well for you. Enjoy!!!

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Nice 1st post. It's always good reading about fitting experiences. When you get q chance try and post pics of your new sticks. Hope you hit them well!

Congrats the Cobra forged tec are some great feeling and performing irons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

well you narrowed it down to two of my favorite sets in that category. I would be insanely happy to game either. great choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new sticks. I think just like your fitting, the sales person brought me a Bridgestone Driver and I left the store with it. Sometimes we all just need to go into a fitting with an open mind and buy the best club regardless the brand.

Congrats and the cobras a really good set. They were on my short list several months ago.

Imho... i have to admit that i am surprised that you coming from a Mizuno iron that you switched from them especially for another forging .... it's hard to think you did not take a backwards
step with a Cobra iron vs. Mizuno ... but it's just one knucklehead opinion

I do hope you get to validate your choice with many years of good shots and many birdie's

Congrats.

You may want to break up your paragraphs -- people will tend to read the entire post when it does not seem too long - shorter paras are easier on the eyes.

I went with PXG 0311 recently, could have gone with CF16 - good luck with the Cobras.

Imho... i have to admit that i am surprised that you coming from a Mizuno iron that you switched from them especially for another forging .... it's hard to think you did not take a backwards

I do hope you get to validate your choice with many years of good shots and many birdie's

that is your opinion and it's why having options is so great. I've hit plenty of mizuno clubs and I've hit both of what op tested. There's not a mizuno club I've hit that I think feels any better (and certainly doesn't perform as well) as the cf16 or kft.

Nice congrats on the Cobra's very underrated and not marketed as highly as some of the others. Good luck with them.

Congrats on the sticks. Cobra makes quality products that just seem to get lost in the shuffle like Bridgestone and Wilson. They will serve you well.

I went though the same process a couple of months back. OP- we had similar short lists, I REALLY wanted MP-25! Magic when stuck well but for a 16hc like myself... I wanted a bit of help. I ended up with Apex CF-16.

Enjoy the new sticks! :D

J40 DPC.

End thread.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

well you narrowed it down to two of my favorite sets in that category. I would be insanely happy to game either. great choice!

And so would I!!!

I am not going to lie, the mizunos feel absolutely amazing and none of the clubs I demoed were even close to the mizunos in this category. However I did a side by side comparison with the mp 25 6 iron and cobra forged tec 7 iron both with 30 degrees of loft.
My results with the cobra 7 I had were 181 Yards of carry with 18 degree launch and 150rpm side spin, where the mizunos had 173 yards carry 16.5 degree launch and 600 rpm side spin. So, I was hitting one less club 8 yards longer with higher launch which it should have and less side spin. That's enough right there but the key stats were clustering diameter which is putting a circle around my shots and it was only 10 yards diameter with cobra and 20 yards with mizuno. Both demo sessions I was just so consistent with the Cobra's that I couldn't deny that they performed the best for me!!!

Update for those following. I have had them for about a month now and played 8 rounds and 6 range sessions with them. On the range I have hit them quite well and love the straight ball flight, very little curve either way, but I can still hit a cut or draw if needed but overall a very straight line. My ball striking with my irons has always been a weak point in my game and I notice that I am getting more forgiveness out of them than I did with my old mizuno mp 60's. On the course, I have been playing the par 3s very well which I usually struggle with. hitting a lot more greens. The one par 3 plays 210 with a small green and in the past I rarely hit that green but since going to the cobras I have hit that green 6 of 8 times which is crazy for me. The long irons are so easy to hit and are very straight. They don't have the feel that I am used to and can barely tell the difference between a striped shot and one that was struck poorly which is bad in some cases but you can't really see the difference in results either which is a good thing for most of us.
So far really happy with the purchase and can't wait to go back to the course and see how they continue to perform.

Mizuno like all the other name brands has their irons forged by one of about a dozen factories that make 85% of all clubs. Japanese forging is not any better than the forgings that come out of China or Taiwan. Mizuno doesn't have any edge over Callaway, Titleist, Cobra, TM, or any other brand. They all make great clubs that have much tighter tolerances than any of us need.

I'm kinda in that spot, and every time I test out irons, I end up falling in love with Wilson Staff FG Tour V4's. Easy to shape, but still quite forgiving.

Congrats on finding a set you like. Best thing about irons is confidence they'll do what you like.

Back