3 wood Duel in the Desert – Callaway XR 16 vs. M2

@Chris

Reaction score
Handicap
3 wood Duel in the Desert – Callaway XR 16 vs. M2

So I’m filling out the rest of my new bag and need a 3 wood. I’ve got an M1 Driver on order and had a M1 3 wood in the basket at Taylormademade Preowned for a couple of days but just hadn’t pulled the trigger. It’s going to be 114 here today so I didn’t feel like a round, decided I’d go to the range early and just work a bit. Pro Shop has a few demo so I grabbed a XR 16 3 wood and XR 16 19 Deg hybrid, same from the M2 line. Unfortunately they didn’t have M1 demo except the driver so this was as close as I could get to a “Fair Fight”.

Warmed up for a bit hitting my irons, then starting playing “imaginary” par 5’s. Hit a driver, then 3 wood or Hybrid. I have to say I REALLY like the look of the M2 down at the ball! And I really expected this to be a tie or the M2 win…just because I liked the look… Ok, I’m shallow, looks matter! LOL!!! :bananadance:

Pretty quickly I noticed the ball flight on the XR was higher and coming down steep. Over all distance looked a bit farther and I seemed to be more on target line. WAIT – that can’t be, I LIKE the M2…. But I keep hitting “stingers” with the M2 and it just doesn’t feel as good…:bulgy-eyes: Results with the Hybrids were pretty close...any difference there I'd have to call "Pilot Error".:angel:

I decide I’ll make a game of it, I’ll alternate clubs and give a point for each “in the fairway” shot. I pick out a couple of range signs at about the 230 mark that are about 30 yards apart, if it’s between the signs it’s in the “fairway”. First one to 5 wins! 3 woods off the deck, it starts out 1 to 1 then I miss with the M2…ah that was a bad swing, hit it again… nope. Even with some Muligans…the M2 goes down 5-2 to the XR-16 in fairly short order… :shock:

So come home and check the Callaway Preowned website… none…crap. So now the hunt for a deal on a XR-16 with a stiff Speeder shaft begins…:comp:

I have the XR16 in a 4 wood and it's the best fairway wood I have ever owned

Thats on my 3W ponder list as well...thanks for the update

I owned the M2 3HL and it was pretty phenomenal. I am having similar success with the XR 16 4 wood.

I hit both the results were similar i just liked the feel and shaft selections of the M2

So many good clubs.... :act-up: Hard to pick, and hard to go wrong really :blob:

Back