Colder weather ball change

When the temp gets below 50° I reach for the Q-Star Yellow. Feels great in the cold off driver, irons & putter and only has a bit less spin than my normal Chrome+ Yellows.

Tried Super Softs for the first time yesterday but not a fair opportunity. It was 21* when I teed off, and 31* when I left the course.

So how much colder than "normal" for your climate does it have to get before you switch? In north FL we stay warm most of the year, but we do get some winter. I don't play if it gets too cold, so it has to be over 40ish for me to even consider it. Preferably 50s. I don't usually notice enough distance loss to warrant a specific cold weather ball, especially since even most tour balls are lower compression than the old days. I'd be concerned with losing spin since we dry out in the winter.

Colder weather ball change

As our temperatures have leveled off I've started working through my supply of supersofts . One it's cheap and second its a pretty darn good ball.

I switch balls around 50* and below.

That seems about right.
I'd say anytime I'm not wearing shorts on the course (sub 60°)

Trick answer. I might wear pants anytime it drops below 75 ;)

U play q star all year long?
Wilson Zip is my go to winter ball. Going to game the q stars this year though and see how it goes

Wilson Zip is my go to winter ball. Going to game the q stars this year though and see how it goes

Q star is good ball for all year round and in one I game during cold weather, also started messing with soft feel this year. For me the q star is ok in on cold conditions, I prefer z star xv

No cold weather balls needed in Miami. It was in the 80's today...

Got in a second round with Super Softs last week. Temps not as brutal as my first go with them (21* tee off). Had to wait out a 2 hour frost delay and had to start on #2, as #1 was still frosted, but it was up to a nice balmy 42* when I finished. What an excellent feeling all around performing ball in cool weather. I had my lowest ever score, 74 (+4). The even par 35 on the front would qualify as my only 9 at even too but it was weird as I played hole #1 (birdie 3) as my last hole of the day, so it never felt like I was even. Back to the ball, what really made the round for me was 28 putts. Not the whole story though, as the Super Soft was giving me almost as much distance off the tees and into the greens as my gamer (Wilson Staff FG Tour) does on warm days. That and it seems to fly straighter too. The only difference I noticed was maybe a little less stopping power on the greens. I'm hoping to get out either today or tomorrow and give these balls another go.

Got in a second round with Super Softs last week. Temps not as brutal as my first go with them (21* tee off). Had to wait out a 2 hour frost delay and had to start on #2, as #1 was still frosted, but it was up to a nice balmy 42* when I finished. What an excellent feeling, all around performing ball, in cool weather. I had my lowest ever score, 74 (+4). What really made the round for me was 28 putts, but the Super Soft was giving me almost as much distance off the tees and into the greens as my gamer (Wilson Staff FG Tour) does on warm days. That and it seems to fly straighter too. The only difference I noticed was less maybe a little less stopping power on the greens. I'm hoping to get out either today or tomorrow and give these balls another go.

Very similar to my experience. Same issues with stopping power on green side chips. The rumors of this new ChromeSoft is making it sound like the perfect ball with lower compression and green side spin.

I switch to my "winter" bag when I start wearing slacks (60s). So far I'm planning on gaming the W/S Duo in yellow. I've been playing both the Duo and the SuperSoft during the last month and the Duo seems to fit me better overall.

Back