Driver shaft fitting question... i am confused

semi

Reaction score
Handicap
So i went to a reputable fitter as i was interested in the Callaway XR16 driver. I currently have the GBB with the speeder 665 Stiff. I tried the stiff 556 in the XR and my spin numbers were far too high. He suggested trying the Speeder 665 in X Tour Stiff with the XR head.

Now, my swing speed averages about 102 mph. HOwever, when we made the switch, i was hitting right down the middle on the flight monitor at my normal distances with side spin in the 100-200 rpm range. I had perfect launch at 16 degrees and my dispersion was less than 9 yards on 5 drives. I couldn't argue with the numbers...

however, with my swing speed i really should have no business in the X-stiff tour shaft... That's my question... i am ready to buy right now but would like some opinions on this.. i don't think this is normal or is it? Am i seeing just an anomaly Or should i just accept it and move forward. This is my first speeder shaft so i don't know much about them.

Don't pay too much attention to the label on the shaft. My swing speed is about where yours is or a little slower with my driver, and I play an X. The shaft is just more stable for me, and lets me swing at it. It works better for me than my last combo did. It's also the only X shaft in my bag.

Flex for swing speed recommendation is simply a starting point. In general the faster you swing the stiffer shaft you need, but it isn't black and white and there are a number of other factors. Everyone's swing is unique.

I'm on the border (some manufacturers say s, others x) and find I can play either. There really isn't a standard from one manufacturer to another what stiff means. Ultimately if the fitter thinks it is a good fit, and you get results you are happy with, you can ignore the label and go play better golf.

Don't pay too much attention to the label on the shaft. My swing speed is about where yours is or a little slower with my driver, and I play an X. The shaft is just more stable for me, and lets me swing at it. It works better for me than my last combo did. It's also the only X shaft in my bag.

This is great advice!!

don't get hung up on the flex. the results don't lie. and congrats on finding something that's giving you such great numbers!

I'll second this as well. My SS is typically in the 98 mph range and I play an X. Wasn't fit into it, it just happened to be in the head that I wanted and so I gave it a try. I am driving it better than I ever have.

don't get hung up on the flex. the results don't lie. and congrats on finding something that's giving you such great numbers!

^^^^^ THIS!

When I went and tried the XR16 Pro, I hit it with a RIP Phenom 70 X-stiff shaft. I swing low-90's, and ended up going with a Whiteboard Diamana Stiff, but the RIP Phenom was a very close second. I've learned that FLEX is different from manufacturer to manufacturer.

I have around the same swing speed and depending on manufacturer I get fitted for stiff or x-stiff. Each shaft is different. A lot of it also depends on how you load the shaft. I have a pause at the top and smoothly transition to downswing with a slow tempo. I've seen people with slower SS than me with fast tempo play better with a stiffer shaft. They load the shaft a lot quicker than me.

Was this launch monitor into a screen or outdoors? Personally, I would want to see my ball flight live before I made a final decision, otherwise go with what gives you the best results.

on the screen. No option to hit it outdoors at any golf store by me. But the difference was so large that i know the shaft was playing different than the stock shaft.

on the screen. No option to hit it outdoors at any golf store by me. But the difference was so large that i know the shaft was playing different than the stock shaft.
If it were me, I would see if they would be able to let you take the demo club on the course... just to make sure the ball flight/performance is what you would expect.

Back