Nice looking profile there. I love a hilly century!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Nice looking profile there. I love a hilly century!

9,500 feet of climbing on this one. The start is kinda crazy with 7,000 other riders.

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

9,500 feet of climbing on this one. The start is kinda crazy with 7,000 other riders.

that is LEGIT! I think the hilliest century I've done was about 8000 feet. Getting up there around 10,000 is pretty crazy. I did Climb to Kaiser a couple of times when I was training/racing a lot and that's 15,000 feet in 155 miles. 9500 feet in 100 miles is pretty much the same ratio of distance/climbing, so that is NO JOKE. Good luck, dude!

that is LEGIT! I think the hilliest century I've done was about 8000 feet. Getting up there around 10,000 is pretty crazy. I did Climb to Kaiser a couple of times when I was training/racing a lot and that's 15,000 feet in 155 miles. 9500 feet in 100 miles is pretty much the same ratio of distance/climbing, so that is NO JOKE. Good luck, dude!

We finished it in 6:15 of ride time but I certainly did suffer a bit with the temperature hovering at 95 when we finished. I slowed down my buddy on the climbs but he is in top shape after completing 5 double century rides since May of this year. My 180 lb frame can't keep up with his 160 lbs on those climbs! Overall an amazing ride, one of the best I've ever done. It was very strange to be on the N. California coast in October and have it be above 80 degrees with no wind or fog.

Cycling

I Went down hard on the bike a couple weeks ago and sprained my left wrist. The golf season was almost over here in MN, but I had to stop a couple weeks early. I was just starting to hit it well too. Now that winter is here it's cycling season. Backwards I know.

Any recommendations for a good inside trainer? Nothing too fancy, I want to see if i can commit before going all out.

A travel trac comp fluid is a solid trainer for $129.

Any recommendations for a good inside trainer? Nothing too fancy, I want to see if i can commit before going all out.

Definitely go with a fluid trainer vs a wind. Check out the Cycleops Fluid trainer. Affordable and works great. I've had mine for a bout 5 years now, and it still works perfectly.

However, i just got a new Wahoo Kickr trainer, and have to say that it make riding a trainer a hell of a lot more fun... especially when you start riding routes from the Tour or taking on Strava challenges from other states.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had a cycleops fluid trainer for 7 or 8 years now and put serious time in on it. Still works perfectly.

Definitely go with a fluid trainer vs a wind. Check out the Cycleops Fluid trainer. Affordable and works great. I've had mine for a bout 5 years now, and it still works perfectly.

Hey Ryan, what about magnetic trainers vs fluid? How about this 1UP model?

Hey Ryan, what about magnetic trainers vs fluid? How about this 1UP model?

Looks decent, however I am not too familiar with that model. Tensioning device for resistance looks a bit odd to me at the pictures they show.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A question from a non-specialized rider.... Looking for a comfortable seat/saddle for a person prone to hemorrhoids. I ride a Trek Pure (i'm a big guy, over 300#, and need a heavier bike) and I like it. I ride about 3-4 times a week, about 10 miles per ride. Sometimes (maybe every 6 months or so) the stock seat can be a bit rough. Any suggestions? I hate to stop because riding keeps my back, hips and knees loose. And I. Can't jog or walk due to back injuries (f'n motorcyle accident years ago).... Thanks in advance.... And maybe a good, mid priced device to keep track of speed, distance, cadence etc.....

Check out the Terry Fly saddles. They make some of the more supportive saddles and seem to be pretty universal in fit. That's relative of course, but a lot of people like them,especially those who can't get comfortable on a full blown race saddle.

If you have a smart phone, you can use strava or mapmyride to track your stats without having to buy much hardware other than an ANT capable cadence sensor.

Padded bike shorts also make a huge difference in extended saddle time. Another vote for strava. I run strava on my iphone in a lifeproof case and I picked up the handle bar clamp.

Well, I did a lot of research over the past few days trying to decide on a bike trainer that I can really push hard for max effort interval training:

These four came up as solid values:

The 1up USA CPR A-2000: (this is what I bought): http://www.roadbikereview.com/reviews/1upusa-cpr-a2000-pro-review; http://www.1upusa.com/product-trainer.html

The Kurt Kinetic Road Machine: http://cycling-review.com/accessories/bicycle-trainer/kurt-kinetic-road-trainer/

The Cascade Fluid Pro: http://www.cascadebiketrainers.com/product_detail/1/cascade-fluidpro-bike-trainer

The Cycleops Fluid 2: http://cycling-review.com/accessories/bicycle-trainer/cycleops-fluid-2-bicycle-trainer/

I ended up getting a used 1up USA off ebay for $185. I really wanted to get the Cascade Fluid Pro, but this was the best deal of the 4 that I could find. The main reasons (besides price) that pushed me towards the 1up were:

a) the huge number of glowing positive reviews on roadbikereview.com: (http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/t...minum-trainer/prd_111845_1663crx.aspx#reviews)

b) The people who said that it was virtually impossible to outride this trainer when going all-out

c) The number of people who said this was super-quiet, even compared to fluid trainers like the Kurt Kinetics. (The main reason this is critical: I'm selling this purchase to my wife as a team effort for both of us to lose weight & get back into shape, so I wanted something that she could ride on while watching her shows on TV without having to crank the volume)

d) Lots of reports of amazing, SeeMore-like customer service

e) It's made in the USA.

I think I'd be happy with any of these 4, but I'll post my thoughts once I get this trainer up & running (might need to get my bike tuned up first, & buy some new cycling shoes.

Speaking of shoes - does anyone have any suggestions for bike shoes if I'm using the Shimano 105 carbon pedals?

For shoes I've always been partial to Sidi, but there are a lot of companies that make good shoes in a variety of price points. Shimano, Bontrager, Specialized all make good shoes in lower price ranges.

Well I'm very late to this thread. I too ride in Central PA. I ride a Specialized Rubaix with a combination of Apex and X9 running gear. I used to ride alot. Kinda beat up my left shoulder and took a summer off to heal. I've also got an older Fuji CF road bike that is all Shimano, 105 and Deore.

Mountains are a fact of life here in central PA. So both roadies have a combination of mountain and road. The Spesh has Apex compact double in front and X9 mountain in the rear. Found the X9 to shift better than the Apex it replaced. The Fuji has 105 in the rear and a Deore mountain triple in the front.

I've also got an older Trek 3900 mountain bike but that's basicly for rail to trails. Don't care for mountain riding.

If anyone has questions PM me. I've been riding for decades and might be able to help someone with a question.

Mark Shuman

Grins a dumb question but what width are you feet? That will determine which direction to go. Some brand shoes are very narrow and have a small toe box. Others have generous boxes and can be bought in wide widths.

Price is also a concern. You can get as much in shoes as a new driver. I wear Specialized shoes because they offer extra wide shoes (EEE foot for me). Spesh makes a very good shoe for the buck. Try Shimano,Lake,ZSidi and Specialized, all make a good durable and comfortable shoe. They also offer a good range of widths.

Whatever you do try before you buy. Ill fitting cycling shoes can turn you off in a real hurry. Cause you honest, real pain. So be careful, and wear cycling socks, makes a huge difference.

Mark Shuman

Thanks Mark. I have normal width feet. I'll probably go try a few pairs of shoes at the local bike shop. The Bontrager shoes seemed like a good deal.

War Eagle, what's a bike cost? (broad question I know,so some information on what I'm looking for.)

Want to start biking, I'll be moving into a different position at work and will be losing the company car so I can bike to work now.

So I'm looking to do that, and also do some biking on the weekends for exercise.

Luckily Nebraska has a pretty good trail and lots of highway, the trail is gravely stuff, but I would bet most of my riding would be on pavement.

What are some of the cheaper bikes that I could look at?

War Eagle, what's a bike cost? (broad question I know,so some information on what I'm looking for.)

Want to start biking, I'll be moving into a different position at work and will be losing the company car so I can bike to work now.

So I'm looking to do that, and also do some biking on the weekends for exercise.

Luckily Nebraska has a pretty good trail and lots of highway, the trail is gravely stuff, but I would bet most of my riding would be on pavement.

What are some of the cheaper bikes that I could look at?

Bike shop quality bikes for what you are looking at range anywhere from $500 - $2000. It all depends on what kind of set up you want. If you will come across gravel sections on a commute, a 50/50 road/trail bike with a suspension front fork might be a solid option. Going to have 700x32 or so tires that are smooth enough to get you traveling at a solid speed but also be wide enough to handle different terrain.

Check out the Specialized CrossTrail. That could be a solid option for what you are going to be doing.

Great, thanks they look good. And luckily there's some dealers in Nebraska for them. So I can get fit and what not.

Thanks.

How important is the fitting War?

Just looking (online) I can get an older model of that bike for around $350-$400 which would help a bit.

Though if a couple extra hundred make a huge difference it'll be worth it.

How important is the fitting War?

Just looking (online) I can get an older model of that bike for around $350-$400 which would help a bit.

Though if a couple extra hundred make a huge difference it'll be worth it.

On that Stella bike, fitting isn't the most important thing in the world. You deathly need to make sure you were buying the right size, as it runs small, medium, large, and extra-large. After you figure out the size you need to worry about the seat height in the reach, if you could provide me your height, I could tell you approximately what size bike you need and where to put your seat height in order to get the proper pedal strike.

Buying used can save money, but let your LBS check the bike out first, as used bikes have no warranty to cover them.

Back