PGA Pros in the PGA Championship

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
So what are your thoughts on the PGA Pros in the PGA Championship each year? Like it? Don't like it? We touched on it on THP Radio, but didn't hear a lot of feedback on that part, so figured I would start a thread.

I think it is great to see them get a shot at playing on the course with the tour pros

Good for them, it's something extra for them to work toward. I like it.

Guy from town is competing in it (3rd year in a row)Ryan Helminen. I know he has no shot whatsoever, but since it's the PGA's championship i figure they should at least have a few spots for the PGA pros...

I like it & I'm glad they get a chance to showcase their skills. I would think from a teaching perspective it gives them some great marketing & exposure

+1 for thinking it's a great idea. Club pros are extremely talented players and they're beyond excited if they make the cut.

I like that they give the guys that make the industry work a shot. While they stand no chance, it just proves how hard this game really is. Good for the PGA professionals.

I like it. I was glad to see them reduce the number a few years ago, but still like the fact that it gives them something to shoot for and a chance for fans to brag about their local pro or their hometown guy playing in the PGA. I don't know how they are recieved out there by the Tour guys, but I would think probably pretty positively in 80% of the cases, but I could be way off on that.

I just saw a tweet from Taylormade. A local pro here I took a lesson from is one of the club pros is playing in the PGA this week. I'll be interested to see how he does.

I'm good with it. If their presence was a big impact on invites for other deserving touring pro's I might think differently. Always seems like even with the 20 club pro's playing the PGA still sports very strong fields and from what I recall the highest % of top 100 world ranking participation vs. the other majors.

obviously cool for them, and i'm sure the people at their club or region get a big kick out of it. i don't tune in to see how they do, though. it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they did away with that part of it, but i don't have a problem with it.

I think it is great and keeps the spirit of the tournament alive. Granted they stand no chance but just getting the opportunity to participate in the tournament is fantastic for those guys.

I have no problem with it, and I think it'd be cool to see at least one of them play better than expected.

I like it, and if someone local to you or you know gets in. It gives you another rooting interest.

I kinda of like it since they get a chance to participate in a tour event where they have a specific route to gain entry.

I don't want to say I dislike it but the PGA Pros are largely irrelevant and not going to win so it almost seems a little silly or pointless.

One of my golfing buddies knows Brad Lardon really well, who's playing this year. I've personally never met the guy, but it gives me routing interest on a second hand level, so there's that.

I love it, it's a moment in their lives they probably dreamed about

I think it's awesome, and good for them for getting in the field! I'm guessing it's going to be a great experience for them.

I love seeing class A club pros getting off the lesson tee and mixing it up with class A tour pros.

I'm a big fan of it. The teaching professionals are what really drive the game and should have a presence. The tour pro might get you interested but the course will keep you coming back.

I love seeing them play in it, just like the amateurs in the other 3 majors, great to see them out there and competing against the best of the best.

I think it gets overlooked. It's a fantastic aspect, but one few seem to talk about.

I like it. It would be cool to see one of them have a really good week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's great to see the PGA Pro's in the event. Even better when some of them make the cut.

Back