Playing golf again

Gopher1

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi everyone stumbled upon this site so I thought I'd get some feedback.
I haven't golfed or even swung a club in over 20yrs. If I broke 90 I was happy and never really was able to correct my bad habits. Just wandering if anyone else was in a similar situation when getting back in the game.

Thanks

Hi everyone stumbled upon this site so I thought I'd get some feedback.
I haven't golfed or even swung a club in over 20yrs. If I broke 90 I was happy and never really was able to correct my bad habits. Just wandering if anyone else was in a similar situation when getting back in the game.

Thanks

My golf experience consists of me playing the game for the first time at age 22 and playing for about 2 years (maybe 8-10 times per year) and then stopping when life got in the way (married, kids, work, etc). Picked the game up again about 2 years ago after an almost 20 year layoff. I shot a 119 that 1st round! I've been playing steadily since then and shoot in the high 80's - low 90's depending on the course and which tees we play from.

Welcome to THP!
I have been playing for 3 years and I am still happy to break 90! As far as correcting bad habits the biggest thing for me was getting some lessons.

I gave up golf for about 17 years back when my score was averaging around 104 or more, so I sold my clubs. Three years ago I bought a set of cheap clubs at a yard sale and took up golf once again. I got to the point where my score was in the high 90's. Then I slowly began replacing those cheap clubs with some good quality clubs, and now I'm scoring in the high 80's. Even had a personal best of 39/39 for a 78 from the white tees several weeks ago.

I played from about 14 to 27 and was an above average player...I put it down for 10 years until about 4 months ago or so...I'm playing ok, definitely like my old self but I'm having fun.

Welcome back to the game!

Welcome to THP and back to the great game of golf!

Welcome to THP

Was in roughly the same boat: just came back from almost a ten year break (played for about 20 years off and on before then). Definitely practicing a lot, but haven't had the chance to get a lesson to help knock off any rust. Just recently started keeping score and hovering in the mid-80's or so. Glad to back and it was also neat to find this site!

Welcome to THP

I started playing at age 45. Played for 5 yrs and quit for 12. I have been back playing for a little over 3 yrs now. Have lost a lot of flexibility and speed, and about 2 clubs of distance. But scoring has been creeping downward as shotmaking is getting better. I really enjoy going to the range and working on a single club or just a few clubs. Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP!

Yes, I have a similar story. I had a decade of more or less no golf before returning about 5 years ago.

Welcome to THP
it was 25 years for me, Army, kids, job, so glad I picked it back up.
i have been playing on a regular basis since 2009.

Welcome!

I took 40 years off. Played maybe 20 rounds total in my teens and 20s, gave it up when kids came around. I retired to a place where courses are plentiful and reasonably affordable and got back into the game just about a year ago today. I joined a club, play a few times a week and love it. I've yet to break 90, but I'm having a great time trying.

Welcome to THP. I have a similar experience. Played informally as a kid -- never broke 90 either, probably never broke 100 -- and didn't play for 30+ years. Started playing last year. Now I'm addicted!

Welcome to THP. I have a similar experience. Played informally as a kid -- never broke 90 either, probably never broke 100 -- and didn't play for 30+ years. Started playing last year. Now I'm addicted!
My name is Mike and I am an addict.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP! Just keep practicing and you'll see improvements in no time! Keep up the good work!

Welconme to THP! I was away from the game for about 15 years, started back 4 years ago and haven't looked back. Finding THP is one of the best thing for my golf game, so much knowledge on here and great people!

Welcome the THP and welcome back to golf. One shot at a time and enjoy the Game of Golf. It's not just hitting the ball so enjoy the companionship of other golfers, be they friends or someone you met and played a round with. Enjoy the green grass, trees, birds singing and just playing golf. All you can control in golf is the next shot. If you hit a good shot or missed the shot you just hit, so what. Hit the next shot as well as you can. Remember at all times, IT'S A GAME. You don't have to win money to support yourself or your Family, so just enjoy the round. It's amateur golf you're playing. You'll hit some great shots, some good shots and some bad shots, just try to hit the next the best you can.

Welcome to THP. Much like you I stopped playing about 25 years ago and just got back in the game this year. I bought good clubs and have taken lessons which has helped me considerably, making my re-entry to the game so much more fun. I have also found this forum to be a fantastic resource with really great helpful people to communicate with. THP rocks! Good luck and I hope you have as much fun as I am.

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Tapatalk

Welcome to thp

Welcome to THP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome the THP and welcome back to golf. One shot at a time and enjoy the Game of Golf. It's not just hitting the ball so enjoy the companionship of other golfers, be they friends or someone you met and played a round with. Enjoy the green grass, trees, birds singing and just playing golf. All you can control in golf is the next shot. If you hit a good shot or missed the shot you just hit, so what. Hit the next shot as well as you can. Remember at all times, IT'S A GAME. You don't have to win money to support yourself or your Family, so just enjoy the round. It's amateur golf you're playing. You'll hit some great shots, some good shots and some bad shots, just try to hit the next the best you can.

Great Advice! Thanks

Back