What rule did you misunderstand / not understand well?

For the most part it's probably true, however between this and heather lost balls, check the scorecard. There are plenty of courses who dictate local rules based on OB/LB. Some allow stroke and distance parallel to entry into the hazard.

Agree...some local rules change how the overall rule is interpreted.

A good local example of that is Musket Ridge, it's fairways are lined with knee high fescue. During every tournament I have played there, a local rule is instituted calling all high grass a lateral hazard. If not you would have a large part of the field hitting provisional on just about every hole.

Such a local rule is actually not legal. Courses cannot make rules which modify or waive a rule of golf, without special exception from the USGA. Appendix 1 of the rule book lists what local rules are allowed.

However, tons of courses don't understand that and you see some crazy local rules.

A lot of people don't understand either that the rule is nearest point of relief, not "nearest point of relief with a clean lie."

Even more common, it's not "nearest point of relief with a clear shot to the green."

I can get the colored stakes confused and not know the details about where I can / should drop the ball.
Spot on .. I'm a very straight hitter , but the colors can be confusing and where it crossed the line etc.. Was playing with a chap that pull hooked it real bad and was dwelling on this for 5 minutes ( where it crossed the line ) . I finally said " hey fella , you are 25 over par with 5 holes to play .. What does it bloody matter to you ????) . He was furious , but made my point

I always get the Red/Yellow stake rule mixed up. It also doesn't help that half the courses I play have no stakes anywhere on the course.

Unplayable lie - I didn't realize you could hit the original shot over again. I also didn't think about using this in a bunker situation when the ball is plugged. I had that happen once in a tournament and it cost me big time.

I copied this from a Golf Digest article:

MYTH: If your ball is unplayable, you're entitled to a drop in a spot that gives you a "playable" lie.
FACT: You have three options (under penalty of one stroke) if you declare a ball unplayable:
1. Replay the previous shot;
2. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit how far behind that point the ball may be dropped;
3. Drop within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, no closer to the hole. Keep in mind that none of these options guarantee that you'll be able to play from an unfettered position.

Unplayable lie - I didn't realize you could hit the original shot over again. I also didn't think about using this in a bunker situation when the ball is plugged. I had that happen once in a tournament and it cost me big time.

I copied this from a Golf Digest article:

MYTH: If your ball is unplayable, you're entitled to a drop in a spot that gives you a "playable" lie.
FACT: You have three options (under penalty of one stroke) if you declare a ball unplayable:
1. Replay the previous shot;
2. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit how far behind that point the ball may be dropped;
3. Drop within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, no closer to the hole. Keep in mind that none of these options guarantee that you'll be able to play from an unfettered position.

Good point KellyBo! I've seen some pros try to hit some crazy shots up against the face of high-walled bunkers and I've always wondered why they're not taking an unplayable and giving themselves an easy shot. Of course that's why they're pros and they normally manage to pull it off.

One important thing for people to remember is that an unplayable drop must remain within the bunker, unless you're going to take the stroke-and-distance option and replay from the original spot.

Good point KellyBo! I've seen some pros try to hit some crazy shots up against the face of high-walled bunkers and I've always wondered why they're not taking an unplayable and giving themselves an easy shot. Of course that's why they're pros and they normally manage to pull it off.

One important thing for people to remember is that an unplayable drop must remain within the bunker, unless you're going to take the stroke-and-distance option and replay from the original spot.

If your ball is within the boundaries of a hazard, any drop from an unplayable lie must stay within that hazard, correct?

If your ball is within the boundaries of a hazard, any drop from an unplayable lie must stay within that hazard, correct?
The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable.
If the player deems his ball to be unplayable, he must, under penalty of one stroke:
a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or
b. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or
c. Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.
If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in thebunker.
When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball orsubstitute a ball.

Here's one for you rule gurus. Lets say you are green side chipping. On the other side of the green is a yellow staked water hazard (that you had to clear to get near the green). You thin the chip through the green into the water hazard. By rule, you would normally have to now go drop on the other side of the hazard, keeping the point it entered between where you drop and the pin.

Do you have the option to play take an unplayable from your original spot with a stroke penalty instead? In this case, it would definitely be a beneficial option versus dropping back across the hazard possibly over 100 yards away.

EDIT: Someone is reading my mind as this was just answered in the post above.

Only when the hazard is a bunker. You can't invoke the unplayable ball rule in a water hazard. You could also play stroke and distance to get out of the bunker, but that might not be the best option all the time.

Here's one for you rule gurus. Lets say you are green side chipping. On the other side of the green is a yellow staked water hazard (that you had to clear to get near the green). You thin the chip through the green into the water hazard. By rule, you would normally have to now go drop on the other side of the hazard, keeping the point it entered between where you drop and the pin.

Do you have the option to play take an unplayable from your original spot with a stroke penalty instead? In this case, it would definitely be a beneficial option versus dropping back across the hazard possibly over 100 yards away.

EDIT: Someone is reading my mind as this was just answered in the post above.

Just to add. No, you can play from your original position.

I think there was a situation in that Father/Son tourney last weekend where the ball was in the water but they were able to move it onto the grass that was within the red hazard line without penalty. Not sure I understand how they were allowed to do that.

I think there was a situation in that Father/Son tourney last weekend where the ball was in the water but they were able to move it onto the grass that was within the red hazard line without penalty. Not sure I understand how they were allowed to do that.
That was one of the rules of their scramble. they could place a ball within one club length of where the ball they decided to play lay. Since they could find the ball in the hazard, they could play from within a club length as long as it was still in the hazard.

Man, I wish I would have known you could take a stroke and distance with an unplayable lie! I was playing in a mini-tourney this summer and from the middle of the fairway with an easy look at the green, I hooked the ball into the trees and under a bush. I declared it unplayable, placed it two club lengths away, but was still in the trees. My next shot clipped a tree and shot straight left OB. I think I ended up with an 11 on the hole. And tourney aspirations go down the drain...

I have a few questions.

Tee box markers. On a rare occasion I want to tee up next to the marker, but to prevent any damage to my club, I move the marker back a bit, hit the ball, and return the marker.
I don't think that's allowed. but want to confirm.

Lost balls. I know you can take a drop on where you think the ball went OB. On some courses, there is no OB marker, so how far into the depths of the woods or whatever am I to drop? This is in case the course is packed and I cannot retee.

Sometimes I have a really bad hole and decide to pick up the ball and move on. What score do I tally, if any?

Putting greens. There is a ball mark in my line, can I remove it without "improving" the area to avoid a penalty?

That was one of the rules of their scramble. they could place a ball within one club length of where the ball they decided to play lay. Since they could find the ball in the hazard, they could play from within a club length as long as it was still in the hazard.

Darn! I thought if I saw my ball in a water hazard I could move it a clubs length...oh well.

I have a few questions.

Tee box markers. On a rare occasion I want to tee up next to the marker, but to prevent any damage to my club, I move the marker back a bit, hit the ball, and return the marker.

Lost balls. I know you can take a drop on where you think the ball went OB. On some courses, there is no OB marker, so how far into the depths of the woods or whatever am I to drop? This is in case the course is packed and I cannot retee.

Sometimes I have a really bad hole and decide to pick up the ball and move on. What score do I tally, if any?

Putting greens. There is a ball mark in my line, can I remove it without "improving" the area to avoid a penalty?

Tee markers are fixed. You can't move them.

After an OB you must play from where your previous shot was played with a penalty stroke. You can't drop where you think it went OB. You'd have to refer to the courses rules on where OB is if there are no stakes.

For handicap purposes, you'd take your most likely score. say you're lying 5 about 50 yards off and you've got to pick up, you could reasonably take an 8, stroke to get on and two outts. You'd mark it X8 on the card.

You can ask a player to move their ball mark if it is on your line.

Just to add. No, you can play from your original position.

Your statement's confusing. Did you mean to say, no you can't play from your original position? Or yes, with a stroke penalty, you can replay from original position?

You can ask a player to move their ball mark if it is on your line.

Not the marker for another player, the unfixed divot hole from a previous player.

Thanks for your answers.

Not sure if it's an actual rule but for the sake of keeping up pace of play, if you did not realize your ball went OB and did not take a provisional that you drop and take a 2 stroke penalty instead of going all the way back to where you hit from.

this is the stupidest rule in all of golf. i can get on board with most rules, but this one makes no sense. i'll take the x on my card all day, because i'm probably in worst shape by taking 2 strokes and distance than re-teeing or playing another ball.

this is the stupidest rule in all of golf. i can get on board with most rules, but this one makes no sense. i'll take the x on my card all day, because i'm probably in worst shape by taking 2 strokes and distance than re-teeing or playing another ball.

It's not actually allowed to drop and take two. Not by the rules at least.

I have a few questions.

Keep in mind that all answers are the answer to the actual rule - i.e. a tournament situation. In a casual round, nobody would care.

No, you are not permitted to move the tee marker. The penalty would be 2 strokes for violating 13-2 (improving your stance, lie or area of intended swing). If you moved the marker because you thought it was placed wrongly or unfairly or any other reason you disagreed with its placement, you'd be disqualified.

If you trip over it and move it or hit it with your ball/club and move it accidentally, no penalty but it should be replaced.

Lost balls. I know you can take a drop on where you think the ball went OB or is lost. On some courses, there is no OB marker, so how far into the depths of the woods or whatever am I to drop? This is in case the course is packed and I cannot retee.

Under the rules, there is no situation in which you can just drop if a ball went OB. This is why it's so important to hit a provisional if you believe your ball is in any danger of being OB or lost.

In a casual round, 99% of people would have no problem with you dropping where you think the ball went OB or was lost and adding 2 penalty strokes (since the penalty is stroke AND distance).

If there is no marker, or boundary fence, you would have to use your best judgment of where the course property stops.

You take what you believe would be the reasonable score for that hole. If you're off the in the woods and playing your 6th shot, a reasonable expectation might be "2 shots to get on the green and 2 putts" for an x-9. Or if you're close to the green it might "chip on and 2 putt" for an x-8.

If damage to the green was done by a ball, you may always repair it, whether your ball is on the green or not.

It's not actually allowed to drop and take two. Not by the rules at least.

I didn't say it was. but if I didn't play the hole according to the rules, I take an x and add a stroke of its within my handicapped holes, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back