Adjusting to tough courses

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
This weekend Cali THPers descended on La Purisima and Monarch Dunes for the annual gathering. It was mentioned in the live update thread, but La P was TOUGH. So much so that it got a bit draining towards the end of the round. Reflecting on the round, it's hard to pinpoint one thing I could've done better but I was curious to hear how other players deal with tough courses.

Typically I start off playing my normal game, getting frustrated, trying to press, and then getting even more frustrated.

Occasionally I remember that I'm not a very good golfer, and that I should dial back my aggressiveness and play smart. Those days I usually score much better (but sometimes have less fun).

I tend to enjoy courses that present a short game / putting challenge, but shorter courses that take driver out of my hands usually just make me mad. Blugold and IceyShanks can attest to the fact that when I get frustrated I'll just start trying to fit driver into places I have no business aiming, just for the thrill of pulling off the shot. So for me, at least sometimes, playing tough courses is about pulling off that one shot rather than playing (boring) golf just to shoot a score.

I'll also be the first to admit this is totally just a short term adrenaline rush, and not the smartest thing longterm for my game. It's something I'm actively trying to recognize and get better about though.

I try to play within myself. I know I might not score as well, but I don't want to get suckered into taking risks that will lead to doubles and triples.

I enjoy hard courses. The tougher the better. Even when selecting a course for normal weekend rounds I enjoy playing a tough course. Keeps me more engaged and thinking about things

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Typically I start off playing my normal game, getting frustrated, trying to press, and then getting even more frustrated.

Occasionally I remember that I'm not a very good golfer, and that I should dial back my aggressiveness and play smart. Those days I usually score much better (but sometimes have less fun).

I tend to enjoy courses that present a short game / putting challenge, but shorter courses that take driver out of my hands usually just make me mad. Blugold and IceyShanks can attest to the fact that when I get frustrated I'll just start trying to fit driver into places I have no business aiming, just for the thrill of pulling off the shot. So for me, at least sometimes, playing tough courses is about pulling off that one shot rather than playing (boring) golf just to shoot a score.

I'll also be the first to admit this is totally just a short term adrenaline rush, and not the smartest thing longterm for my game. It's something I'm actively trying to recognize and get better about though.

It's interesting because at the course we played yesterday, I only hit my driver twice and there were some ridiculously long par 5s. With that being the case, I found myself in much more desirable positions off the tee. Even though I didn't always take advantage of them, it certainly made a difference! On the first day, I'm not sure how windy it was, but when I'm hitting an 8 iron for a 135 yard shot and it still comes up short, it's a bit disheartening.

It's interesting because at the course we played yesterday, I only hit my driver twice and there were some ridiculously long par 5s. With that being the case, I found myself in much more desirable positions off the tee. Even though I didn't always take advantage of them, it certainly made a difference! On the first day, I'm not sure how windy it was, but when I'm hitting an 8 iron for a 135 yard shot and it still comes up short, it's a bit disheartening.

Wind is one of those things that tends to really help me focus and play better.

I think sometimes I get too caught up in the number on my GPS and not hitting golf shots. When it's really windy I often forget about the GPS, get more creative, and typically see better results.

TL;DR: Golf is weird

Both Maderas and Aviara in San Diego were tough courses to adjust to this week for me. I probably would have been more successful if I played from the whites but I went with what the group was doing. It's one thing adjusting to narrow fairways with OB to the left and right but when they throw in small greens it just amplifies the situation. Then they throw in some brutal pin placements with fast greens. Usually I am able to adjust to one or two of these options but when all 3 are present, I usually shoot similar on the front/back..... and that's what I did!

Tough tracks I try to simplify my game...just keep the ball in front of me. I've been on parts of courses that even the architect had never set foot on. If I can't see where ball is going, scale back to a point that I can.

Wind is one of those things that tends to really help me focus and play better.

I think sometimes I get too caught up in the number on my GPS and not hitting golf shots. When it's really windy I often forget about the GPS, get more creative, and typically see better results.

TL;DR: Golf is weird

That's actually a good point, and I think wind can turn certain shots into, 'well I hope this works out'. For me, it got a bit discouraging because I'm flushing shots after going up two clubs and it still didn't work out. I suppose the answer could be just keep grinding, but mother nature wasn't cutting me any slack!

I try to play within myself. I know I might not score as well, but I don't want to get suckered into taking risks that will lead to doubles and triples.

What's in bold is what I need to improve on. There are times I'll go for a sucker pin when I would be better served going for the center of the green. Probably need to leave my ego in the car, haha!

I enjoy hard courses. The tougher the better. Even when selecting a course for normal weekend rounds I enjoy playing a tough course. Keeps me more engaged and thinking about things

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah the layout of La P was fun and challenging, but the wind amplified it. I've also found that if a course is nice, I could care less how hard it is. Like Spivey's club in AZ for instance. It was ridiculously hard, but was one of the nicest courses I've ever played. I tend to think playing tougher courses will lead to more improvement, but that's just me.

I just try to stay within myself and go with the flow and try to find a way to get the ball in the hole quickly.

I love the challenge of a tough course. For me its just keeping the ball in play and in front of you. Not trying for a hero shot. If you get out of position take your medicine and get back in position. With wind its a similar approach. You can't over power it. Into the wind you need an extra club or 2 or 3 and swing easy. Swinging hard just spins the ball more and the wind effects it even more.

I love the challenge of a tough course. For me its just keeping the ball in play and in front of you. Not trying for a hero shot. If you get out of position take your medicine and get back in position. With wind its a similar approach. You can't over power it. Into the wind you need an extra club or 2 or 3 and swing easy. Swinging hard just spins the ball more and the wind effects it even more.

Yeah playing La P made me realize the importance of playing the right shot. It was just odd because there were times I thought I played the right club, but the wind still did a number to the shot. I probably would've been better off going up another club and putting a smooth swing on it. Lesson learned :D

It's interesting adjusting to tough courses. First thing I usually do is spend a lot of time on the putting green before the round, Geting used to the greens. Then at the range I focus on hitting targets. One of the main things I do differently from every day rounds when playing a tough course is not hit driver off every hole, Something I normally do In just about every golf course regardless of the situation. But if it's a really tough course then I'll try to be more strategic about it which in hindsight it something I should do more often. I may also move up a set of tees

It's interesting adjusting to tough courses. First thing I usually do is spend a lot of time on the putting green before the round, Geting used to the greens. Then at the range I focus on hitting targets. One of the main things I do differently from every day rounds when playing a tough course is not hit driver off every hole, Something I normally do In just about every golf course regardless of the situation. But if it's a really tough course then I'll try to be more strategic about it which in hindsight it something I should do more often. I may also move up a set of tees

I completely agree with your point about the driver. My best round has come when I barely use it. I think I already mentioned it, but at Monarch Dunes I only hit my driver twice and had my best round in a month. It was all HW, 3H and irons off the tee and not that I didn't know it, but it made me realize the importance of keeping the ball in front of me particularly on a tough course!

I try to just start playing "small ball". I usually get in trouble when I just start going for everything and if the course is tough I just end up getting pounded and losing balls left and right. I just try to slow it down and start hitting short iron shots. Two 150 yard safe shots is betting that One 200 yard shot OB.

I completely agree with your point about the driver. My best round has come when I barely use it. I think I already mentioned it, but at Monarch Dunes I only hit my driver twice and had my best round in a month. It was all HW, 3H and irons off the tee and not that I didn't know it, but it made me realize the importance of keeping the ball in front of me particularly on a tough course!

I agree with this as well. Is there anything more aggravating then driving into a couple of bunkers when you darn well that is the reason the architect put it there. Step back and lay up until you get a feel of the course.

Play smart, and play away from trouble, even if it means hitting a 3 wood or a rescue from the tee instead of a driver. Take your medicine if you get into trouble. Don't fire at pins, aim for the middle of the greens.

Play smart, and play away from trouble, even if it means hitting a 3 wood or a rescue from the tee instead of a driver. Take your medicine if you get into trouble. Don't fire at pins, aim for the middle of the greens.

They're called sucker pins for a reason, right? Definitely saw a few of those this past weekend!

Grind it out, stay hydrated. I'm not sure what else you can do, other than focus on making smart decisions (but not playing so timid that you double bogey everything out of fear for going for it).

~Rock

The course that gives me the most trouble isn't even THAT long, it's tree-lined but more than anything it's a second shot course and I've struggled with my irons all year. When I go there I try and adjust expectations, but it's a tough thing to do. I like playing it, and like the challenge but that's probably because I only play it a couple of times a year.

Tougher courses for me are about keeping the ball in play and trying to play smart golf. No hero shots. Take my medicine where i have to and get the ball forward.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Play smart golf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tight courses drive me crazy so I struggle, I like the challenge of fast sloppy greens though so those courses are fun. Really just depends on what makes the course difficult.

I play conservative.

Fast greens?
Heavy putter. I take more time to feel the speed.

Tight fairways?
Hybrid or 3 metal off tee.
Go to driver shot fairway finder.

Tricky dog legs?
I'm not going right or left of those trees... I'm going over those trees.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back