Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Does anyone have, our tried out, the apex utility? I've never used a club like that but it seems like it could be something fun to try out.

Does anyone have, our tried out, the apex utility? I've never used a club like that but it seems like it could be something fun to try out.
I have tried one. I have its predecessor. Just my opinion, they aren't very forgiving and don't do anything that a hybrid doesn't.

I had a similar experience with the CF 16 when I got them, the club guy at the PGA SS checked them out of the box and only 2 were correct out of 7. No big deal he fixed them in few minutes, but it might be wise to have them checked just ot be sure.

So I've had these irons for roughly 4 weeks now. First off, I love 'em. Primarily the look is very appealing to me, feel is very good imo and I have decent control on moving the ball with them without issue.

However, one thing was an issue. I ordered them 1/2" long, standard loft and 2* upright, KBS Tour-V110's. The clubs I received were a mishmash or incorrect lie and loft angles from Callaway (only the 7i was spot on correct on everything). I was curious why my 4-5-6 irons had about a 10-15 yard gap between them, turns out there was about a 3.5-4.0* difference in loft between my 4 to my 6. Most everything was just off by 1.0-1.5* so my guy quickly bent them to spec (a guy I trust who uses a quality machine). The small difference in lie angle on a few clubs may not have made a huge difference since I'm not perfect and can't tell you if it was the lie angle or me, but I feel a lot more confident over them knowing for sure they're perfectly to spec. The big change was now I have a proper gapping between my 4, 5 and 6 irons. Now, I should have done this right when I got them probably, so mea culpa on that. I'll have 'em rechecked midseason and at the end of the season. Still, A+ on the clubs Callaway, just a bit more help needed on the QC coming out of El Mexico.

I had a similar experience with the CF 16 when I got them, the club guy at the PGA SS checked them out of the box and only 2 were correct out of 7. No big deal he fixed them in few minutes, but it might be wise to have them checked just ot be sure.
Will be talking to our pro tomorrow about double checking mine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Maybe I'll get mine checked also. May as well just to be sure.

I had the 21* and really liked it but my XR hybrid was just easier to hit consistently

I had the 21* and really liked it but my XR hybrid was just easier to hit consistently
Heard it found a home, hasn't been used outside yet

Good luck dude. Cup face or not, you couldn't pay me to go back to a long iron with what hybrids offer today. I consider myself a pretty good ballstriker with irons, but I am supremely happy that I dropped the 4i AND the 5i.

Same here, I pulled out my old 5I today since it is in the spare bedroom and I needed to reach something under the bed. First and most likely only use it will get for a while.

Good luck dude. Cup face or not, you couldn't pay me to go back to a long iron with what hybrids offer today. I consider myself a pretty good ballstriker with irons, but I am supremely happy that I dropped the 4i AND the 5i.

How long are you hitting the CF 9i and PW? I am interested in these clubs, but I am a little concerned over the distances. I like starting my gapping with a 135 you PW and 150 9i.

How long are you hitting the CF 9i and PW? I am interested in these clubs, but I am a little concerned over the distances. I like starting my gapping with a 135 you PW and 150 9i.
9i and PW aren't cup faced for what it's worth.

From 7i down to AW I sit 180, 169, 158, 147, 136. 11 yards per gap and I love it, I can extend and close it as needed.

From 7i down to AW I sit 180, 169, 158, 147, 136. 11 yards per gap and I love it, I can extend and close it as needed.
180 7 iron,

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Well... It should be less than a week from having mine in-hand, assuming no issues in shipping. Expectations are super high, given how much I liked the OG Apex, and how well I played with them. Just a form-factor that seems to fit my eye - neither too big, nor too small.

Hearing about some folks with incorrect lies/lofts, from the assembly line, will likely have me making a quick pit stop to the golf shop with them for a quick check (and fix, if necessary).

Last edited:
Thank you CF16 for saving me a few times. For the most part I was struggling with my long iron swing and I put the CF technology to the text. I continue to love these irons paired with the Project X 6.0

It's kinda scary how similar our numbers are. From swing speed to club yardages

Hit this again today (7 iron)...but this time outside, instead of in the simulator. I hit them with the same XP95 stiff shaft as I did yesterday.

I know that these are a few degrees stronger than normal, but I seem to be getting a much higher ball flight than I would expect. I hit another 7 iron from Mizuno with the 'normal' lofting and . It seemed to just shoot off the face of the club and really fly. There wasn't much effort in trying to get the ball up or direct it. I was just getting up there and swinging it. While it's my brother that is looking for new irons.... These are really sticking in my head. Once the warmer weather comes and the snow disappears for good, I know that I'll be giving these a good go against my S55's and seeing what comes of it. Impressive stuff for sure.

The xp95 will definitely increase LA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tested out 9 iron sets yesterday (just 7 and 8 iron) and when I came back to these, it was as if they were perfect still. I have not tried anything as of yet that offers the performance and forgiveness in a package that looks like this.

I tested out 9 iron sets yesterday (just 7 and 8 iron) and when I came back to these, it was as if they were perfect still. I have not tried anything as of yet that offers the performance and forgiveness in a package that looks like this.

Truth! They're the best irons I've ever owned by a long shot.

Agreed, and I have tested some REALLY good irons lately (looking at you F6) but the WHOLE package here is, dare I say it, perfection for me.

Played yesterday and while my swing was as bad as it has ever been, the forgiveness of these irons really showed up for me.

Love everything about these irons, as JB and JMan have just they are damn near perfection. Callaway really made a great iron with this one. First iron set that I am completely comfortable standing over a 5 iron with. Which I had two five irons yesterday that were beautiful slight draws that went around 195-200 yards

In love with these irons

Played yesterday and while my swing was as bad as it has ever been, the forgiveness of these irons really showed up for me.

Love everything about these irons, as JB and JMan have just they are damn near perfection. Callaway really made a great iron with this one. First iron set that I am completely comfortable standing over a 5 iron with. Which I had two five irons yesterday that were beautiful slight draws that went around 195-200 yards

In love with these irons

Nice dude. It's great having a set of clubs that you know are perfect for you. I struggled a bit with my swing yesterday but still hit some real nice iron shots with them. I think I may be adding sensicore to my iron shafts to help with the vibration a little but I couldn't be happier with them

Nice dude. It's great having a set of clubs that you know are perfect for you. I struggled a bit with my swing yesterday but still hit some real nice iron shots with them. I think I may be adding sensicore to my iron shafts to help with the vibration a little but I couldn't be happier with them

I'm planning on getting lessons to help with the swing. But it is so nice knowing that no matter what swing shows up that day I can still hit some good iron shots with them. And absolutely love the recoils in them. Hitting a shot pure with these irons feel amazing

I've got an 8 pack of Sensicore inserts on the way and plan on having them added when I get my Lamkin UTx grips installed. If they work as advertised, they'll be worth every penny of the $28 I paid for them.

my set is on the UPS truck. i will get them on the range tomorrow

Back