2014 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I'm not heading that way any time soon, if ever. I'm going to hit a couple numbers I had in mind and then probably just work on a program to avoid losing these gainz when I go back on a diet. Most likely still a 5x5 or 3x5 - depending on how much volume I can handle in a defecit.

You could probably go more towards the Starting Strength novice program. You may have to spend some time learning the power clean, but I think you could move away from SL.

BB.com has a couple programs that people tend to recommend on a cut that I might look at too, but really I'm not too worried about it. Compounds and if I lose progression based on my diet so be it. Gotta juggle those goals a little bit.

I'm not talking the bro-advice, but just some of the programs that have a lot of followers. It's all basic stuff - progression, compounds, some have accessories.

There have been a few good non-weights articles on t-nation lately. I recommend reading them before making a decision on the boot camp track. :)
Mostly I just want to take the weight off and get back into a non round shape. Diet will be key in sure. I'm not a weights kind of guy. Thinking about doing a boot camp thing to get me started. I need that group motivation thing for sure.

What is T nation?

Any thoughts on that Scientific 7 minute workout (apologize if it's been asked)?

I'm not a member there, just read the articles. :)

Seen the new SL update? Do you buy the extra features or stick to the basics?

I have downloaded the addons. They are not bad. I haven't really delved into them. I also deviated away from SL back in September. Its a good program for a novice lifter. But it has it's limitations as well.

Oh I'm not heading that way any time soon, if ever. I'm going to hit a couple numbers I had in mind and then probably just work on a program to avoid losing these gainz when I go back on a diet. Most likely still a 5x5 or 3x5 - depending on how much volume I can handle in a defecit.
If you want a good, extremely simple program do a search for the Dan John 40 day workout. In a nutshell the only workout you do for the next 40 workouts is the following:

Posterior chain (deadlift)

Upper body push (bench press)

Upper body pull (pull-up, or row)

Full body explosive (kettlebell swing or snatch)

Anterior chain exercise (ab wheel)

Do 2 sets of 5 for the posterior chain, upper body push and pull. 1 set of 20-50 for the swings, and 1 set of 5 of the an wheel. Never miss a rep and adjust the weight as needed.

I'll probably want to keep squatting. Really I'm not looking to move on from the 5x5 necessarily if I don't have to. I am going to start adding some accessories though. I'm just expecting my progress to go to crap when I start dieting again. I'm ok with that though. I wanted to gain strength (have and will continue to do so), but a powerlifting goal wasn't really part of the plan for me. I am trying to mix vanity and strength as best I can lol.

Finally back at it today. Squats, bench and barbell rows. I went with goblet squats for awhile, but I'm giving regular squats a go again. Came down in weight about 25% from when I had the flu and I'll try to build it back up.

If you want a good, extremely simple program do a search for the Dan John 40 day workout. In a nutshell the only workout you do for the next 40 workouts is the following:

Posterior chain (deadlift)

Upper body push (bench press)

Upper body pull (pull-up, or row)

Full body explosive (kettlebell swing or snatch)

Anterior chain exercise (ab wheel)

Do 2 sets of 5 for the posterior chain, upper body push and pull. 1 set of 20-50 for the swings, and 1 set of 5 of the an wheel. Never miss a rep and adjust the weight as needed.

Dan johns stuff is great.

I've done 50 swings at once maybe once or twice, and it was awful. One of my favorite exercises though. At least one workout a week is centered on Kettlebells. Tonight was a snatch/press ladder, and my shoulders are exhausted.

I've had a good 10 days. Squats are up to 245 ( all are sets of 5)as of last night, dead lift 230 and bench 210. I don't have much confidence in my upper body numbers going up real quick anymore, but I think there is a fair amount more to be had with the squats and dead lifts. Virtually no weight loss on the scale but appearance and clothing fit is better. It has been about 9 weeks solid.

Nice work ezellmer. Solid numbers!

Really looking forward to seeing how this translates to the course. I think less lower back fatigue will definitely be a result. Unreal how good my legs and back feel right now.

I've had a good 10 days. Squats are up to 245 ( all are sets of 5)as of last night, dead lift 230 and bench 210. I don't have much confidence in my upper body numbers going up real quick anymore, but I think there is a fair amount more to be had with the squats and dead lifts. Virtually no weight loss on the scale but appearance and clothing fit is better. It has been about 9 weeks solid.
I'm shocked that your deads are lower than your squats

Good session tonight. It was recovery day. Two light work sets on the squat. 3 heavier press sets. Pull ups and then hang snatches. I'm feeling pretty darn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back