Getting your Wife or Significant Other Involved in Golf

CAA_Beat

Reaction score
Handicap
What level of interest does your Wife/SO have in playing golf. Does she not play at all and have no interest, has she expressed some interest but hasn't followed up on it? Do you want her to take up the game, or would you prefer that it remains YOUR hobby?

I know my Fiance has expressed interest off an on about learning to play, but it seems like a very low interest to be honest. She is a bit intimidated by all the "rules" and worried about getting in others way or being a distraction. I told her all that would come in time, and you learn on a small level and progress according to your comfort level.

I'm mixed on whether I'd push her to learn or not. It would open a lot of options for vacation spots and things we could do on vacation, or just on a spur of the moment Saturday or Sunday morning. On the other hand, if she took to it and enjoyed it, I'd feel there might come a time where I feel pressed between going to play with her or with my buddies. With THP I know that wouldn't be problem, as the local guys would welcome her on any level, and actually have already extended invitations to her to just come out and eat with us afterward.

So let's here it on your wives and SO's.

I love playing with my wife and she loves it but she's been injured for almost 2 years and she's not happy about it!!

Mine has zero interest. The best I can get is for her to chip with a 3 wood at Top Golf. But I'm okay with that.

My wife would rather have her right arm chopped off than go to a golf course. I hate it because our best friends play together (husband and wife) all the time. Oh well.

My wife has no interest, but fully supports my play. I likewise support her interests as well.

Disclaimer: I did upgrade to wife 3.0 before I found this feature was even available.

My Fiancee has a mild interest in learning to play. She likes to come along with me and either try to play, or just ride along. She likes to go to the range with me and try to hit some balls. It doesn't seem like she is going to really get the bug though because she hasn't yet gone to hit balls when I am not there.

Don't do it.

My wife is hooked. We joined a private club and the first year she would come out and play with me after work once and a while, then this year the club set up a very good women's clinic/league which is once a week and it's gotten her hooked. To the point that I'll come home and she's the one wanting to go to the range. She doesn't have any interest in really playing 100% by the rules right now but maybe that's the next step. Either way, her playing golf now allows me to actually play more golf as she now gets why I like to go play......that I'm not just trying to get away....

No interest from my wife. She took a golf class in college and apparently never got the ball more than a few feet off the ground. I have taken her to the range once or twice, but she just really doesn't want to even give it a shot.

My wife used to complain about the amount of time I spend playing golf and said she wanted to take it up so we could spend more time together. So I bought her a set of irons, bought her a new putter, and reshafted a driver and 3w I had in the garage to get her started. She went to the range once and never touched them again. That was 5 years ago. I'll never sell them though. The second I get rid of them, she'll want to use em. lol

My wife started playing golf shortly after we got married (6 years on August 13). Since then she's gone through two sets. She plays men's clubs, senior flex and a 1/4 shorter. We started out with me teaching her and finally did a couples lesson. For whatever reason, she listens to our golf instructor but doesn't listen to me even though I'm telling her the same exact thing. She has her moments, good and bad.

We were recently out in Cabo, she played Cabo Del Sol and El Cardinal (Tiger's course) with me. We don't really focus on score and she knows she can pickup her ball and quit a hole whenever she's had enough.

I think it's important to share hobbies with your wife. Give her the opportunity to give golf a try. If she likes it, you'll have a golf partner for the rest of your life. If not, at least you both tried. My wife still gives me my personal space. I don't feel obligated to take her with me every time we golf.

Set#1:
- Cleveland HiBore XL Driver
- Callaway RAZR HL 4h-5h, 6-PW, AW
- Odyssey Putter

Current Set:
- Callaway GBB Driver
- Callaway GBB 5wood
- Callaway XR 4H, 6-PW, SW
- Callaway XR OS 5H
- Odyssey Works #1 Wide

My wife started playing golf shortly after we got married (6 years on August 13). Since then she's gone through two sets. She plays men's clubs, senior flex and a 1/4 shorter. We started out with me teaching her and finally did a couples lesson. For whatever reason, she listens to our golf instructor but doesn't listen to me even though I'm telling her the same exact thing. She has her moments, good and bad.

We were recently out in Cabo, she played Cabo Del Sol and El Cardinal (Tiger's course) with me. We don't really focus on score and she knows she can pickup her ball and quit a hole whenever she's had enough.

I think it's important to share hobbies with your wife. Give her the opportunity to give golf a try. If she likes it, you'll have a golf partner for the rest of your life. If not, at least you both tried. My wife still gives me my personal space. I don't feel obligated to take her with me every time we golf.

Set#1:
- Cleveland HiBore XL Driver
- Callaway RAZR HL 4h-5h, 6-PW, AW
- Odyssey Putter

Current Set:
- Callaway GBB Driver
- Callaway GBB 5wood
- Callaway XR 4H, 6-PW, SW
- Callaway XR OS 5H
- Odyssey Works #1 Wide
I think that bolded part is a great way to approach it in the beginning. That's kinda how one of my sisters got involved. If she doesn't feel she has to finish each and every hole, it's a lot less stressful.

My wife has little to no interest and that's even after going to LIITA last year. She did show interest in learning how to putt before the event but that was over when the event was over

IMO, there are a few important "ingredients" to getting the wife to golf:

1. You have to make it fun. Focus on the positive and tell her when she does good.
2. You need to have the right equipment. My wife is strong like ox (Vietnamese voice), but having her swing the wrong equipment in either direction (standard women's clubs are too short & weak and standard men's clubs are too long & stiff) would do a disservice to her learning how to swing properly.
3. Get her lessons. Wives/Girlfriends do NOT listen. Pay someone else to teach her.

IMO, there are a few important "ingredients" to getting the wife to golf:

1. You have to make it fun. Focus on the positive and tell her when she does good.
2. You need to have the right equipment. My wife is strong like ox (Vietnamese voice), but having her swing the wrong equipment in either direction (standard women's clubs are too short & weak and standard men's clubs are too long & stiff) would do a disservice to her learning how to swing properly.
3. Get her lessons. Wives/Girlfriends do NOT listen. Pay someone else to teach her.
While 1 and 2 are good advice, No. 3 could have been the one and ONLY Rule, it's certainly the most important. Not only do they not listen, they will blame you for not explaining it correctly!! :banghead:

I told her that she doesn't have to worry about picking up the game until we're retired.

My wife likes to play, but doesn't get out on the course very often at all. She's a very athletic person but for some reason she struggles mightily with the game of golf. For what ever reason, she cannot seem to get the ball airborne. I suck at teaching so I cannot help her. She even took a couple of lessons once, but it didn't seem to help (this was many years ago).

She wants to go out and play with me, but doesn't want to go when the course is even semi-crowded. The pressure of other people waiting for her to hit makes her even worse. I think I'd like her to take lessons again with the instructor I am currently using. I think he could help her quite a bit.

Not going to happen, my wife is 100% hooked on tennis. She says it is so much better than golf because someone always hits the ball back to her!

My GF started playing last year...did the "Get Golf Ready" thing....5 lessons for like $99 but she has never really "gotten" into it.....she will go out with me about once every other month and will play 8 or 9 holes out of 18...(Im skipping this hole because of the water.....I'm hot.......I'm tired)

I fully support her wanting to play, it would be nice to have someone to play a round with on trips

One time my wife played a shorter 9 hole course that was not busy and she enjoyed it. The next time we went out to a longer 9 hole course on a weekend and the course was busy. She was not comfortable with the pace of play and felt like she was rushed. She has not been back since (absent a few trips to Top Golf with the kids).

I have been able to get Dawn to the range a couple of times and we played in a scramble tournament once. Her interest level isn't really there, but she really got into the British Open and PGA Championship. I am looking forward to seeing if her interest spikes a little with golf being in the Olympics.

Zero for my wife - she has zero athletic genes. Her words not mine. Id love for her to try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am trying to figure out why you would want the wife playing with you.I play to get some relaxation and RELIEVE stress,not to add to it.Lol

My wife plays with me once a week. It became highlight of my week. There is nothing like spend good time with her on the golf course. She became pretty darn good ball striker lately so we bet small money here and there. It is also big plus when we go to vacation. Well, I call that golf trip.

I tried to get my wife to play but she didn't like it. She hates the sun, so that's a big negative. I got her a nice set of starting clubs but wound up selling them this year since she just wasn't interested. Last time we went to the range she was hitting it real consistent but that was a year ago and even then she didn't get hooked.

My b-day is coming up and she asked if it would be a good idea for us to go out, have her ride with me for the 18. I'm thinking that offer over.

Back