The 2 man Scramble, fun? or would never work?

Consistent with that, I think I like that "everything on the line" aspect of alt shot more than I do a scramble. I think it focuses me more.

Yup - but man is a scramble fun if the whole team gets hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done a few in the past including the Morgan Cup. If you ever thought charity scrambles were slow, put something big on the line like a set of clubs or something and then watch the pace grind to a halt.
We had to stop doing them sadly because of that. It only takes a few, but when courses began complaining that scramble rounds were slowing down their whole course and we were only 4-8 slots, we killed them off.

The thought has occurred to bring them back in some capacity, because they can be fun. Especially if you go Scramble which is full of no pressure to Alt Shot which is action packed pressure in the same 18 holes.
That transition, when the 2 man scramble is used for 9 is a ton of fun, really have to change your strategy from one 9 to the next.

Just curious why is it uneventful for you?

I have played in some that were at the tail end of a round and were a ton of fun I guess thats what got me thinking about it. 18 holes, then a 9 hole 2 man scramble at the end. Maybe this is a more likely scenario instead of a full blown 18 hole scramble.
I want to play myself on the golf course and while I can do it shot to shot in a scramble it's just not the same. I agree they can be fun and that is why I reserve them for "party" rounds.

I enjoy playing my own ball or a alt shot (adds a different type of difficulty to the game). I like to feel the pressure if I hit a bad shot not just have another to fall back on.

I get why they are liked by so many and wouldn't say no to one just do not prefer them. I also think for many (including) a scramble ends up making them overswing and get their timing all out of whack. No penalty if you have others to pick it up after a bad shot. A two man does reduce this a bit.

I guess I just like being punished. I like the breaks both good and bad to have an affect on my end result, I like having to hit recovery shots (be it safe or hero shots).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I keep reading this but I just don't get why it would be so slow, I would think it'd be faster. Weird.

Part of it is many times in four ball or something similar a player is out of the hole. Then add the discussions at length about every shot since both players are playing every shot. In theory it should be faster, if people were to play ready golf, especially around the green.

It should be faster, but in our testing, it was slower every time.

Part of it is many times in four ball or something similar a player is out of the hole. Then add the discussions at length about every shot since both players are playing every shot. In theory it should be faster, if people were to play ready golf, especially around the green.

It should be faster, but in our testing, it was slower every time.

Yup. True from my experience at the MC's. I still loved it but totally understood why it was replaced. Especially after that group warning at Caledonia - which wasn't due to format hahaha

Consistent with that, I think I like that "everything on the line" aspect of alt shot more than I do a scramble. I think it focuses me more.

Alt shot is pressure no doubt about it. But for 50% of the shots played there is nothing you can do about the outcome.

The 2 man scramble has different pressure. Partner hits OB on tee shot and your up to bat. Partner hits the green but it's still 25 feet away and needs to be closer. Partner just hit the putt, missed, and showed you the line to the hole with one more shot. Partner just missed a 3 footer and now your up.

2 man scramble events I've played in have always played at the same pace, if not a touch slower, than 4 man scrambles.

Alt shot is pressure no doubt about it. But for 50% of the shots played there is nothing you can do about the outcome.

The 2 man scramble has different pressure. Partner hits OB on tee shot and your up to bat. Partner hits the green but it's still 25 feet away and needs to be closer. Partner just hit the putt, missed, and showed you the line to the hole with one more shot. Partner just missed a 3 footer and now your up.

Partner rinses one with the match on the line hahaha on 18

Your back end must have been tighter than a cowboy getting on bull for the 1st time while you stood over that ball before hitting. #TrueGrit

Your back end must have been tighter than a cowboy getting on bull for the 1st time while you stood over that ball before hitting. #TrueGrit

Spit and stick it

We often play 2-man scrambles within our foursome. We play about 3 times a week, and vary our team play with best-ball, combined score, or scramble. It keeps things interesting and is fun.

I like two man scrambles. They can be fun and they can be a headache. If you have a high capper that is all over the place, it turns into a one man show. But a couple of good putters can make up a lot of ground.

Hey, you were in the range off the tee!!!! Hahaha, at least I made the putt... and don't forget 17!!!

7b2cf3de0e96611a52293f2e22ecef98.gif

2 person scrambles are fun. Usually play in one a year at my club. Enjoy them more than 4 person primarily because of the lack of the cheating questions. It would work for a THP event. I am playing in a 3 person scramble tomorrow.

I play in a 2 man scramble annually with my high school buddies. It is a lot of fun and there is definitely pressure as the round goes on.

Done a few in the past including the Morgan Cup. If you ever thought charity scrambles were slow, put something big on the line like a set of clubs or something and then watch the pace grind to a halt.
We had to stop doing them sadly because of that. It only takes a few, but when courses began complaining that scramble rounds were slowing down their whole course and we were only 4-8 slots, we killed them off.

The thought has occurred to bring them back in some capacity, because they can be fun. Especially if you go Scramble which is full of no pressure to Alt Shot which is action packed pressure in the same 18 holes.
That would be awesome. For sake of pace, starting with Alt Shot may be the better format just to make sure you get off to a good start and arent trying to play catch up while playing a scramble. Just my $0.02

I believe every word that JB's saying as I've played in them (non-THP events) and some teams do over analyze every single shot, taking forever.

For my money I definitely like them, but having a partner whose game compliments yours is the only way to be competitive. The two that I've played in were with the same partner. He's shorter than me but more accurate off the tee. At the time, I had a better iron game and he was a better short game player, so it worked out really well for us. Won our flight one year and I think took second another. The pressure is definitely different. I always teed off second and if he was in trouble during a close match, it was definitely on me to be in play. Alternatively I always putted first to give him a read, so my primary goal was to get the speed as close as possible and sink a few in the process.

Two man scrambles are fun! What our club did is limit the handicap difference between partners to no more than 8. If the difference were greater, then the difference would be reduced to 8 for purposes of handicapping the team.

We do two man scrambles, shambles and best balls in league all the time. Only time we don't is when we do three man for alternate nights.

Nothing wrong with doing tournaments that way, although we had a guy try to do his tournament as a two man trying to get more interest (thinking it was easier to get two guys than four guys) but attendance fell a ton. Went back to a four man the next year and attendance went back up.

Two man helps stop the cheating, but people in tournament play (at least in my experience) don't like them like they do four man. Maybe because they can't cheat. But people have a group of people they like to play with and they want to include their whole foursome.

As far as THP events, two man teams are the norm from what I've seen (I know we have 8 man full teams, but they go out in twosomes). I think two man scrambles can work but you want to have players with similar abilities paired up together. Unless I am playing. I don't mind riding coattails. :)

I'd be in for a 2- or 3-man scramble. I'll play in two or three 4-man scrambles with people from our industry a year and my team just has a good time. We know that we're not winning one of the events, but if we play well, we could have a chance in the second event.

My usual group is still mad that I missed out on one for TheCup. :beauty:

I play in 2-3 scrambles every summer with my brother and always have a good time. It is true though, the pace is typically horrendous in my experience. I will say though that after playing in TheCup I enjoyed those formats more.

I've done a few 2-man format and have enjoyed the outing each time. It's still a day of golf at it's worse.

Hey, you were in the range off the tee!!!! Hahaha, at least I made the putt... and don't forget 17!!!

Hahahahaha I don't forget anything! Man I loved that round! Also that shot was filthy on 17!

We ham and egged our way around that day pretty well!

Back