The 2 man Scramble, fun? or would never work?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a few charity 4 man scrambles coming up the next few weekends and it got me to thinking about formats for events. At THP events we have the shamble, modified pinehurst, best ball and pure alt shot, all designed as team formats, all seem to be favorites and all have worked very well.

Now I know a 4 man scramble would never work because of the cheating factor, but what about a 2 man scramble? Each pairing of 2 guys would be able to monitor the other 2 in a group so there would be no cheating. Do you think it would be a fun format? Do you think it could work in a THP event? Why or why not?

I think it would be a fun format. And could work very easily. Only question would be how would you figure the handicap?

• Admin
I think it would be a fun format. And could work very easily. Only question would be how would you figure the handicap?

I would think handicaps would be used for pairing purposes only, obviously there would be no pops given.

We have done this and it is great!! You will really enjoy it!

We've had 2 man scrambles in THP events in the past. It's not always a favorite across the board though, they're fun....but in team competitions it's a little too easy to hide players behind great partners.

most of the 2 man handicapped scrambles i've played in assigns the team a handicap as half the average handicap of the 2 players.

so a team made up of a 10 and a 6 would be a 4 in the event.

edit: didn't see the part about no pops.

2-man scrambles are actually pretty popular where I live, and there are multiple tournaments throughout the year for them. It's a very fun format. And yes I think it'd work in a THP format.

I think it would work. We just did this format at my family reunion in July. There was a winner for lowest twosome score and another for lowest foursome score based on the average of the two scores.

Our corporate tournament is a 2 man scramble format, and it's a ton of fun.

We have a few 2 person scrambles in my area throughout the summer. They usually draw a decent crowd. I've played in a few over the years, and they are fun and more challenging to say the least. I do enjoy them more than the 4 person events, in most cases, due to the cheating we usually see.

I think it's a format that could work and with pairing based on hdcps as used in previous events. I think the one issue might be guys wanting to play their own ball for at least part of the event vice a full blown scramble.

I think two man scrambles are a fantastic way to start a competition, have a bit of fun, and enjoy the moment.

Can it work? Definitely.

I think two man scrambles are a fantastic way to start a competition, have a bit of fun, and enjoy the moment.

Can it work? Definitely.

Especially when you have an awesome partner haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can work for sure.

That said I am not a huge fan of any format that has scramble in it. I love a good shamble but scramble is always uneventful for me unless I am playing a "party" round (bachelor party etc.)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've played in a few 2 man scrambles, and they're usually a good time.

There are also a few courses around here that have early/late season tournaments that are 3 man scrambles. The cheating factor is negated by having people play in 6-somes, which is a whole different interesting format.

It can work for sure.

That said I am not a huge fan of any format that has scramble in it. I love a good shamble but scramble is always uneventful for me unless I am playing a "party" round (bachelor party etc.)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Just curious why is it uneventful for you?

I have played in some that were at the tail end of a round and were a ton of fun I guess thats what got me thinking about it. 18 holes, then a 9 hole 2 man scramble at the end. Maybe this is a more likely scenario instead of a full blown 18 hole scramble.

I have a few charity 4 man scrambles coming up the next few weekends and it got me to thinking about formats for events. At THP events we have the shamble, modified pinehurst, best ball and pure alt shot, all designed as team formats, all seem to be favorites and all have worked very well.

Now I know a 4 man scramble would never work because of the cheating factor, but what about a 2 man scramble? Each pairing of 2 guys would be able to monitor the other 2 in a group so there would be no cheating. Do you think it would be a fun format? Do you think it could work in a THP event? Why or why not?

Done a few in the past including the Morgan Cup. If you ever thought charity scrambles were slow, put something big on the line like a set of clubs or something and then watch the pace grind to a halt.
We had to stop doing them sadly because of that. It only takes a few, but when courses began complaining that scramble rounds were slowing down their whole course and we were only 4-8 slots, we killed them off.

The thought has occurred to bring them back in some capacity, because they can be fun. Especially if you go Scramble which is full of no pressure to Alt Shot which is action packed pressure in the same 18 holes.

Done a few in the past including the Morgan Cup. If you ever thought charity scrambles were slow, put something big on the line like a set of clubs or something and then watch the pace grind to a halt.
We had to stop doing them sadly because of that. It only takes a few, but when courses began complaining that scramble rounds were slowing down their whole course and we were only 4-8 slots, we killed them off.

The thought has occurred to bring them back in some capacity, because they can be fun. Especially if you go Scramble which is full of no pressure to Alt Shot which is action packed pressure in the same 18 holes.

Wow, talk about a change in mindset. Even shamble to pinehurst and pinehurst to alt shot throws a bit more pressure on the line when those transitions are made.

2 man scrambles are fun but some of the slowest rounds I have ever played were 2 man scrambles.

I'm in i like to change it up a bit

Wow, talk about a change in mindset. Even shamble to pinehurst and pinehurst to alt shot throws a bit more pressure on the line when those transitions are made.

Regional rivalry as evidence

2 man scrambles are fun but some of the slowest rounds I have ever played were 2 man scrambles.

I keep reading this but I just don't get why it would be so slow, I would think it'd be faster. Weird.

Howzat and I had an epic performance in one MC in this format - we were something stupid like -11. It was to this day one of the best rounds I've played. It was crazy how many great shots we hit.

One of my favorite tournaments each year is a 2 man scramble I play in with my old high school golf partner and there is some serious $$$ on the line. It is a blast.

Regional rivalry as evidence

Consistent with that, I think I like that "everything on the line" aspect of alt shot more than I do a scramble. I think it focuses me more.

Back