Golf/resort options within 90 minutes (or so) of Tampa

JMN57

Reaction score
Handicap
In flux
I'd posted about the Vinoy in Tampa a few days ago but business plans shifted and that weekend I won't be in Tampa. Instead, I have biz early week of 2/8 in Tampa and will then stay in Florida for a few extra days and would like to get some golf in. Looking for a nice place with a good golf course. Constraints - 1) wife isn't a golfer so a place I can get a good, early and reasonably quick round in would be great, 2) someplace with good restaurants nearby and interesting things for afternoon/evening (museum, nice urban area, history, shopping, relaxing) would give her some payoff too. Be nice if it was within 90/120 minutes of Tampa and easy to get to an airport to head back north.

Streamsong would be great but I don't get the impression there is much else besides golf nearby (If I am wrong about that, please tell me).

Suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd posted about the Vinoy in Tampa a few days ago but business plans shifted and that weekend I won't be in Tampa. Instead, I have biz early week of 2/8 in Tampa and will then stay in Florida for a few extra days and would like to get some golf in. Looking for a nice place with a good golf course. Constraints - 1) wife isn't a golfer so a place I can get a good, early and reasonably quick round in would be great, 2) someplace with good restaurants nearby and interesting things for afternoon/evening (museum, nice urban area, history, shopping, relaxing) would give her some payoff too. Be nice if it was within 90/120 minutes of Tampa and easy to get to an airport to head back north.

Streamsong would be great but I don't get the impression there is much else besides golf nearby (If I am wrong about that, please tell me).

Suggestions/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!

There is nothing to do near Streamsong. I might look at Innisbrook. Otherwise I would probably just go to a beach and look at courses nearby.

Unless you want to go to Orlando.

There is nothing to do near Streamsong. I might look at Innisbrook. Otherwise I would probably just go to a beach and look at courses nearby.

Unless you want to go to Orlando.

Thanks. I am debating Streamsong somewhat - just have to talk to the Mrs and see how tolerant she might be about it. We're going to be in Scottsdale the weekend before, staying at Boulders, where I will probably get in a couple of rounds (maybe head over to We-Ko-Pa). It's at the end of 2 weeks of travel so she might just be happy with the spa. Right now I am scouting out options as I'd like to lock b4 Xmas. Another option is Championsgate in Orlando - they have a good rate for a room then.

Again - thx for input and more input from others appreciated.

i'd personally go with championsgate. a ton more to do, restaurants around you, a spa, and obviously 3 golf courses on property or associated with property (national, international and country club). reunion is right down the road, and providence is just a little farther.

i haven't been to streamsong yet, but i know lots of people who have. nobody i know has left there and said, "wow, that place is really a great value." it's nice, but they think very highly of it.

For what you are looking for, look at the Orlando options.
Innisbrook is great for golf, but outside of dining or the 15 minute drive to the beach, not much else.
Over in the Orlando area, you will have Grand Cypress, the Waldorf Astoria and the Ritz that all have fantastic hotels and golf attached. They are also minutes from shopping, dining and amusement parks.

About a 75 minute drive with little traffic or 90 minutes with traffic from where you will be.

Little over your 2 hour drive but...7 miles of beach, spa, golf, beach front dining, and the best sunset bar around.

http://www.naplesbeachhotel.com/

Yeah - I like Naples a lot. Tiburon is a nice facility/course and the Ritz's aren't too shabby (although the one at the beach could use a little facelift from the last time I was there). Drives a little long and the Ritz isn't cheap (this is my nickel, not a business trip/function).

Got a good deal at the Omni Championsgate. Played there before but don't remember which course. If I have only one round, any recommendations on National vs. International?

Thanks

International and it's not close

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Duplicate

Back