Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond Driver Review Thread

I'm not typically a fan of white drivers, but I'm having a craving for a white udesign DBD.

Update 2: Milledgeville Country Club 12/19/14

Check out my first review here:
http://bit.ly/1GFSaht

What was supposed to be a round with coworkers, ended up being a solo round, so it gave me a chance to put the DBD in play many times today. After only hitting driver three times on the range, I was ready to go. I've always been a very mid-flight driver of the ball, but I'm still seeing a high ball flight for me when I hit this club well, which makes this tester very happy.

I stayed with the settings I used last time: +1/N/Core Up. The first ball off the tee today was way out high on the toe, but still got out there about 230 in the fairway and straight. That's very similar to the forgiveness I saw from the '14 Big Bertha. So I hit a 2nd ball and absolutely crushed it. I like to aim a little right because of my tendency to move the ball from right to left, sometimes a draw, sometimes a hook, but this was a nice, high draw that I'm still not used to. The sound is so muted when you crush it as well. That's also taking some getting used to.

I struggled with the driver today. Missed a lot on the toe, but overall, I was able to keep the ball in play and the good drives are better than the bad drives are bad, if that makes sense. That's when I know a club is going to stay in my bag. If I can live with the misses and the club doesn't penalize me too much distance-wise or when I get quick and hook it.

I still haven't put the '14 BB in play at the same time as the DBD because I really wanted to see my results with the DBD by itself the first couple of rounds before comparing the two. I've been very happy so far. I really think mid-handicappers will be surprised at how forgiving and how hot this driver is.

One quick story: I came up on another single and we paired up. On the next tee box, we began talking about drivers and I told him about how I was testing the DBD for THP and he had been fully fit for everything in his bag, none of which was Callaway equipment. He games an SLDR currently and said the R15 was on his list. He's a more consistent driver of the ball than I am, but we're pretty much even distance wise, so I told him to go ahead and give the DBD a shot. He had the same reaction T0AD and I did when I crushed in on the range at Lane Creek: OMG.

I let him hit on each driving hole from then on and by the end of the round he said he couldn't believe how forgiving it seemed to be while still getting solid distance. He hits it very high, so I told him I thought he might need the core flipped down and he could probably get a little more distance out of it. He said it's on his list to try now. So I may have had my first DBD convert today, which was pretty cool to see.

Another round, another impressive performance from the DBD. Thanks again to THP and Callaway, this has been an eye-opening testing so far.

Any feedback from those involved in the driver testing today? Did all prefer the 815 to the DBD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any feedback from those involved in the driver testing today? Did all prefer the 815 to the DBD?

If I had a better game off the tee, I would totally game the DBD. I love the look of the 440cc head at address and hit a few low to mid launch drives well on the range. When you mishit the DBD, you feel it and ball don't go far lol. For this reason I'm leaning towards the 815 as my next driver.

If I had a better game off the tee, I would totally game the DBD. I love the look of the 440cc head at address and hit a few low to mid launch drives well on the range. When you mishit the DBD, you feel it and ball don't go far lol. For this reason I'm leaning towards the 815 as my next driver.
Crazy part is that the dbd is 460cc!

JB can confirm but I'm pretty sure they are both 460cc. It does appear smaller from address.

460cc really? I blame Wardy lol.

The DBD looked tiny compared to my gamer G30. I did like the sound of the DBD. Very muted.

I hit the DBD today in Tampa today!! It was on my MUST hit list when i saw JB was bringing it. More of a personal challenge to myself, can I tame this Monster driver (that only guys w/ 130 mph ss that never miss the sweet spot play)? I was very surprised at the forgiveness that I saw from this club, I only hit it on the range but was hitting it very good. I can't tell you what the settings were, but know that w/ some tweaking I could play this driver. So I can say that I tamed the Double Black Diamond !!! But in reality,for me, the DBD was already tame. A great club!!

Would love to spend some more time with this one!

Will be going out to the course tomorrow for further course testing then the write up!

Guess I posted this in the wrong thread:

I had been using the Big Bertha with the sliding back weight since it was released and had been pleased with the results but felt like I wasn't getting the roll I wanted so I was intrigued by the 815 Big Bertha and the claims of less spin. So when it was finally released I went to my local shop and fitter to pick one up. I was excited at the prospect of being fit and finding out my numbers. We tried multiple configurations on the 815 and it was basically the same as my Big Bertha. A good launch angle, slightly less spin at 3100 RPMS but the same distance 275 on well struck shots and about 250 on mishits but slightly less accurate.

I had never considered the Double Black Diamond or the previous Alpha since they're marketed towards better golfers and are supposed to be harder to hit. I shoot in the low to mid 80's with the odd 70-something thrown in. My fitter who I trust completely suggested the DBD and just looking down I thought "I can't hit this". It looks like 440 cc even though it really is 460. I didn't expect much but my first drive ended up being 296 yards with a slight draw. We messed with the settings and determined that I needed the gravity core up, neutral settings on the hosel and the heavier weight on the heel. With those settings I was averaging 290 plus yards with my natural draw as well as a few over 300, 280-285 yard fades and my mishits were traveling about 270 yards. With the DBD my swing speed was averaging 107 and my launch angle was 14 degrees with about 2400 RPMs. Incredibly the accuracy was better than both the regular 815 and my current gamer.

Just to be certain we set the 815 to the same specs and I lost distance and accuracy. I was hesitant about going to a harder to hit driver but another round with all three drivers sold me. We ended up putting my aftermarket Fubuki ZT 60 X as it just works for my swing. I know the head a was going to purchase was going to be different than the demo head so I asked that we spec out both finding the demo 9 degree was actually 10 degrees so we found a retail head that matched.

I left the shop blown away at how my expectations going in were completely shattered. I was so excited to take the driver out for a round and see how it compared to my driver in previous rounds. She didn't disappoint. I was putting drives 20 yards past where I was usually hitting them and just like on the simulator even my bad shots were still getting good distance and remained playable. Since everyone and their grandmother is raving about the Aldila Rogue I put one in (110 MSI Silver 60 X) and for two holes was in golfing Nirvana until the epoxy broke down and the head twisted about 30 degrees open. It's since been fixed and I look forward to completing my testing of the Rogue shaft next week.

Don't let the harder to hit tag scare you off from the DBD. If I were testing the clubs blind I would have commended the DBD for being the most forgiving driver I've tested in the last two years.

Now in the spirit of full disclosure I am a Callaway and Phil homer so I really, really, really wanted to like the new 815 series. That said I like to think that I'm not so far gone that I would play a crappy driver just because it's a Callaway or what Phil is endorsing at the time.

I like to think that....

Boy you would be a great scramble partner with 300 yd drives and 36 cap, getting serious strokes and bombing it. How can you keep it so high shooting low 80 and 70's?

Boy you would be a great scramble partner with 300 yd drives and 36 cap, getting serious strokes and bombing it. How can you keep it so high shooting low 80 and 70's?

Jim,
The THP forum defaults to 36, and I am guessing this new gentleman, has not updated it yet.

36 is the default handicap, he probably just hasn't entered his cap.

A girl has to keep some secrets.

Gotcha on the cap, I was not aware of that and it was an honest question (not trying to be mean) and I was actually being serious about the long drives we played a scramble today and when you hit it as short as I do a man with those drives is great to be teamed up with.

No offense intended on my part

Nice review Galen.

Gotcha on the cap, I was not aware of that and it was an honest question (not trying to be mean) and I was actually being serious about the long drives we played a scramble today and when you hit it as short as I do a man with those drives is great to be teamed up with.

No offense intended on my part

No offense taken. I actually laughed when I read your post. I take golf way too seriously but never myself.

No offense taken. I actually laughed when I read your post. I take golf way too seriously but never myself.

Enjoyed your review, Galen! I definitely had the same "I can't hit this" thoughts before I gave the DBD a shot. Welcome to THP and keep those reviews coming!

I demo'd the dbd back in early November. Like most, I've read and heard it wasn't the most forgiving driver and like most who have tried it, found that not to be the case. It was the best driver demo I've had. I didn't have the right shafts for my swing but still saw all I needed to. I told myself I'd wait to hear more about the shafts being offered. So many of them aren't even on their companies websites yet and while I have shafts I could put in it myself, I was hoping to try one of the newer versions.

One thing that I did notice, with the shaft that fit me best that day, (D+ x stiff) was I was hitting a higher ball than I would like but was still getting distance and roll out. So the new Black Tie 75M4 sounded like it could be a good match. I spoke with Cally about this shaft and decided to give it a shot and ordered. Has anyone had the chance to try this shaft head combo?

Last edited:
I demo'd the dbd back in early November. Like most, I've read and heard it wasn't the most forgiving driver and like most who have tried it, found that not to be the case. It was the best driver demo I've had. I didn't have the right shafts for my swing but still saw all I needed to. I told myself I'd wait to hear more about the shafts being offered. So many of them aren't even on their companies websites yet and while I have shafts I could put in it myself, I was hoping to try one of the newer versions.

One thing that I did notice, with the shaft that fit me best that day, (D+ x stiff) was I was hitting a higher ball than I would like but was still getting distance and roll out. So the new Black Tie 75M4 sounded like it could be a good match. I spoke with Cally about this shaft and decided to give it a shot and ordered. Has anyone had the chance to try this shaft head combo?

I normally need help getting the ball up in the air, so the Black Tie would not be a good match for me. Did flipping the Gravity Core do anything for your ball flight?

Back