Graphite Stiff vs. Steel Regular flex

MorganG20

Reaction score
Handicap
TBD
I'm not trying to start a which-is-better steel vs. graphite debate. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the pros and cons of each. But I'm curious what one might feel if they were to swing the same 7 iron. One with a stiff graphite shaft, and one with a regular flex steel shaft. I'm curious more in what the club would feel like, not so much distances. I'm not discounting that ball flight plays an important role in determining which is better for the player, but right now I'm more concerned with how each club would feel like to hit.

Softer impact with the ground from the graphite. Less severe I guess.

Otherwise, depends on the shaft. Some graphite can feel exceptionally stiff and gross. Some steel can feel pretty limber. Just depends.

Moved to Shaft Section

Graphite can play every bit as stiff as steel, so I am not sure what the question is. Feel being completely subjective would be tough to compare. They both can feel good and they both can feel bad depending on the shaft and person hitting them.

Part of feel is also the makeup and profile of said shaft. A graphite shaft that is tip soft may feel "weaker" to flex, all the while may not be at all.

Overall I would say less vibration from impact in the graphite.

For me, I don't think the shaft stiffness would feel much different to me. Not saying that Graphite is weaker to flex, I'm just saying that if it were a Stiff Graphite and Stiff Steel or Regular Steel that's not exactly what would jump out at me. The big difference for me is the vibration differences esp when it's not a good strike. When the ball is out on the toe or catch it thin. The graphite club could feel lighter depending on what shaft you are using and it could be the opposite with the steel feeling lighter.

If your question means to imply that regular flex steel could equate to stiff flex graphite, I think the premise is incorrect. Different manufacturers mean different things when they label shaft flexes. As a result, there is a decent amount of variability involved. Also, graphite shafts have come a long way. As an example, the stock stiff graphite shafts in my ping I25's subjectively feel pretty similar to the stock stiff steel shafts that were in my TM RocketBlades; The Ping graphites feel much more stout to me than the steel UniFlex shafts I had in a previous set of Callaways.

Overall I would say less vibration from impact in the graphite.

This is what I was thinking. And I agree that not all graphite shafts are created equal. No doubt a club fitting would be important. But I was just wanting to see if there was a general consensus regarding the impact vibrations up the shaft and into the hands with a graphite shaft, regardless of flex rating.

I'm not trying to start a which-is-better steel vs. graphite debate. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the pros and cons of each. But I'm curious what one might feel if they were to swing the same 7 iron. One with a stiff graphite shaft, and one with a regular flex steel shaft. I'm curious more in what the club would feel like, not so much distances. I'm not discounting that ball flight plays an important role in determining which is better for the player, but right now I'm more concerned with how each club would feel like to hit.

I think that the torque on steel is usually less than on graphite and can cause steel to "feel" firmer. Graphite shafts are also usually lighter than steel shafts this can play a roll in ball flight for individual swing types in my limited experience.

Can't really say better than whats already been posted. Rigidity (or stoutness or whatever you want to call it) is not by default higher in steel than graphite these days. I've swung some graphite shafts that were stouter than any steel I've ever swung (the Recoil 125 protos felt like rebar) and the Aerotech Steelfibers play stiffer to flex than any steel shafts I've hit as well.

But graphite does afford some shock dampening on contact with the ground that I really enjoy. As has been stated, feel is subjective and I believe that graphite often coming in lighter weights can feel less stout to some without actually being less stout.

So I guess if you are currently a regular flex steel player and it works well for you, don't discount a regular flex graphite shaft.

So I guess if you are currently a regular flex steel player and it works well for you, don't discount a regular flex graphite shaft.

Very much agreed.

I just made the switch in irons and wedges from steel to graphite due to aging and arthritis. While I can't give any input on the irons yet as I won't hit them for the first time until tomorrow, the F4 (stiff) Recoil 110 graphite shafts I put in my wedges feel every bit as stiff as the wedge flex DG steel shafts that they replaced. The biggest difference I have seen in my 2 rounds with them is that the graphite feels smoother and definitely less harsh in regards to vibration.

Hmm, the 3 reason why I made complete migration from graphite to iron, in all my iron end wedges, is durability, accuracy, and momentum / swing weight.

Very difficult to find graphite shaft that won't bent upon my type of swing, and won't snap yearly at long iron 。・゚゚・(>д<)・゚゚・。

I get nearly the same numbers from regular graphite or steel. I used the think the graphite would give better numbers but after playing all tyles it turns out not to be true for me. I also like lighter weighted steel regular flex shafts. One must be fit to get the best idea and then factor in which shaft you enjoy swinging.

I was fitted to the Aerotech steel fiber i80 in stiff from Project X 5.5 (stiff/regular) and the vibration dampening between the two is like night and day. I can't recommend the new graphite shafts enough. My hands and arms have not hurt since the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, the 3 reason why I made complete migration from graphite to iron, in all my iron end wedges, is durability, accuracy, and momentum / swing weight.

Very difficult to find graphite shaft that won't bent upon my type of swing, and won't snap yearly at long iron 。・゚゚・(>д<)・゚゚・。

Really? That is crazy. Do you mind me asking what type of swing speed you have? Because I have watched them hold up to some of the strongest swingers on tour and there are a number of tour guys using graphite.

Really? That is crazy. Do you mind me asking what type of swing speed you have? Because I have watched them hold up to some of the strongest swingers on tour and there are a number of tour guys using graphite.

I'm with Jb lots of tour guys with some serious swing speeds gaming graphite as well as some guys on here who have tour level SS. I'm gaming graphite and have had zero issues with breakage/durability, and at 110g swing weight isn't an issue.

Dear JB, FF, both of you right, but Nunchucks class graphite as pro use not commonly available in Indonesia, a Japan minded golfing country, and too pricey too, for me.

I am talking about stock Stiff shaft that came with big bertha, hawk eye, Mitsushiba, and Maruman here. They are really flexible.

My swingspeed is ‘just’ 95 Mph on driver, using “neutral to club head” grip, and swing around my left leg, rotating on it as opposed to swaying. The swing shape is similar to “helicopter ” Thorpe.

and playing on courses comparable to ‘construction zone’. Hitting buried stones or get stuck in the mud every now and then is to be expected ;P

Furthermore, driving range here is carpet on concrete. I practice monthly, but can hit along 2 to 3 hundred balls at a session. I have seen my clubhead fly along with the ball, twice (´◉◉`;)

After ‘migration’ to steel shaft in 2010, I have yet to snap my shaft again.

Not that I want it to snap. :)

Last edited:
Interesting. Glad you found something that worked.

Back