Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

My fitter suggested 1/2" longer shafts to help with my consistent toe strikes.

Anyone else ever heard that suggestion?

As for distance gains with these, over my Adams Redline (which have similarly strong lofts), I think it's 10ish yards. I've hit the demo 7i on the course to 160-170+ yd par 3s, which with my Redline I'd probably try to hit a normal 6i. I've had similar results with several different shafts.
In lew of ordering them bent 1° up a 1/2" longer shaft should give you the same result, but that half inch + needs to be checked on a lie board. Technically it is a fix in the right way but not how it should be done.

I'm right there with you. I know drivers are usually the sexy club in the bag, but having irons that are so dang good really has me jonesing for some cup faced goodness. I can guarantee these are longer than my DPCs, and with more forgiveness so I can't wait to see where these end up when properly fit.

These are going to be soooooooooooooooooooooooo good for you. The DPC are solid irons, but tech has 1000% improved.

I'm surprised by some of the comments of increased distance from the Srixon line which I found to be longer than every thing tested last year. I would look at the lofts club to club for a clue on the distance gains.

So looking it up, The Apex are a degree stronger on the 7 iron so technically yes the Apex should be longer. The Srixon 7 iron is 32, the Apex is 31. As irons are getting easier to hit those lofts are getting stronger all the time. But at one point your hitting a 6 not a 7 which is what that Apex is damn close to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I'm surprised by some of the comments of increased distance from the Srixon line which I found to be longer than every thing tested last year. I would look at the lofts club to club for a clue on the distance gains.

So looking it up, The Apex are a degree stronger on the 7 iron so technically yes the Apex should be longer. The Srixon 7 iron is 32, the Apex is 31. As irons are getting easier to hit those lofts are getting stronger all the time. But at one point your hitting a 6 not a 7 which is what that Apex is damn close to.

Distance doesn't come back to loft absolutely, its not a 1:1 correlation. Launch. Launch. Launch.

Not exactly. While distance is an amazing by product, the loft is set by the launch of the club. Take the Srixons for example. Not every iron in their line has the same loft. Why? Because of weight placement, if they did, the lower lofted clubs would go straight up in the air. Same with these irons. Weight moved further back and a higher launching club gave the ability to lower loft and get the same launch.

Its kind of like with drivers, but the opposite. As the driver has been able to be created with lower spin, they have been able to add loft. Lower spin with more loft can create more carry distance.

Distance doesn't come back to loft absolutely, its not a 1:1 correlation. Launch. Launch. Launch.
You are right along with a good shaft pairing. Still loft is loft.

You are right along with a good shaft pairing. Still loft is loft.

Genuine question.
Will a 9 degree driver automatically go further than that of a 12 degree driver?
Based on the loft is loft argument, shouldnt it?

Genuine question.
Will a 9 degree driver automatically go further than that of a 12 degree driver?
Based on the loft is loft argument, shouldnt it?
I get your point, there are a million variables and not every shoe fits.

Really good session today on the GC2 w/HMT. I saw some fun numbers with my 6i. I feel pretty darn good about my shaft pairing as well.

I got the AW-6I yesterday evening in the mail. I ended up with a much lighter shaft (Recoil 660 vs Recoil 110). I didn't see much in the way of distance gains over last years Apex (it was 37 degrees today). I have to say though, the lighter shafts really helped with fatigue, and I didn't feel like I had to swing hard to get the same result. The trajectory seems a tad lower from Aw-8Iron, but was hard to say from one round. I also tried to play the Pro-V today for the first time. Don't know if it was the ball or the irons, but the ball stopped where it landed, and sometimes came back a few feet. First impression: Shiny, pretty, and accurate. Similar feel.

I tried to like the recoils in CF16 and original Apex irons but they are too light and wild for me, too much hard hooking. I feel like I am losing a lot of accuracy with recoils...am I the only one?...ended up getting KBS tour 90's, which is a fairly light shaft in itself but every recoil I tried seemed much too light for me.

After hitting the CF16s a few times with different shafts, I ended up ordering the 5-AW with the XP95s regular flex. The Recoil 780 was a close second, but my misses were a bit better with the XP95. I also ordered the Apex 4h with the Kuro shaft. Hope they're here next week. Mexico to Phoenix. For those of you that ordered, how long has Callaway been taking to fulfill orders?

After hitting the CF16s a few times with different shafts, I ended up ordering the 5-AW with the XP95s regular flex. The Recoil 780 was a close second, but my misses were a bit better with the XP95. I also ordered the Apex 4h with the Kuro shaft. Hope they're here next week. Mexico to Phoenix. For those of you that ordered, how long has Callaway been taking to fulfill orders?

Just got a call my Apex irons are at the store, waiting for me to pick them up . The good weather broke here so unless there is a warm up I will only get to hit them at a dome of matts and will have to wait till Palm Springs in February ...Ahh. oh well I went with the r flex xp95 as well seems like a good fit for my swing.
Did you get a chance to hit apex hybrid before ordering ? Anyway report back on Apex after a few rounds .
thanks gb

I daydream about these nonstop.

Just got a call my Apex irons are at the store, waiting for me to pick them up . The good weather broke here so unless there is a warm up I will only get to hit them at a dome of matts and will have to wait till Palm Springs in February ...Ahh. oh well I went with the r flex xp95 as well seems like a good fit for my swing.
Did you get a chance to hit apex hybrid before ordering ? Anyway report back on Apex after a few rounds .
thanks gb

I did get to hit the Apex Hybrid. Really liked it. I'm a bit erratic with my current 4 iron and hope to find this hybrid a bit easier to hit with consistency. How long did you have to wait for your clubs?

I did get to hit the Apex Hybrid. Really liked it. I'm a bit erratic with my current 4 iron and hope to find this hybrid a bit easier to hit with consistency. How long did you have to wait for your clubs?
2 weeks to the day, but I live in Canada so I would think you will get your hybrid sooner . The components maybe made outside the U.S.
but I think they are assembled in California so you should get them sooner ..but I could be wrong .
How has the flight on the Apex hybrid ? I have the TM Aerobuner hybrids now and they are very accurate but hit them very low compared with my old cobra bafflers .
gb

I'm enjoying these clubs so far. Nothing earth shaking in the way of distance but I'm thoroughly loving the dispersion which is so reliable, certainly allows me to go at pins if I feel good about the lie and distance.

Got a chance to get these on the course yesterday. Dispersion is superior to my old Apex (probably the better fitting shaft), and I've found the 7 and 6 irons have amazing forgiveness off the toe. Distance loss yesterday was about a club distance on the toe.

Just got a text from Callaway...... my Apex's will be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait.

Hit these today and it was the best showing I have had with them. There is something about a confidence a golfer gets when they like the look, sound and feel of an iron, and then couple that with a performance and forgiveness that is genuinely incredible.

I just need to figure out which graphite shaft will be going in mine.

I just need to figure out which graphite shaft will be going in mine.

That is almost how I feel. I want the 110s, just hope they give me the best numbers.

That is almost how I feel. I want the 110s, just hope they give me the best numbers.

honestly I want to try it this way with a fitter. Start with KBS Tour. I've been fit to that shaft before and played it well. Use that as a baseline. Try steelfiber and recoil, see which one gives similar or better numbers. Go with that shaft.

Im playing the stock graphite I think. It works well, is lightweight and helps me as I get later in the round.

Back