Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

For me it was all about what type of shot i would hit most of the time with that particular wedge. For my 56* I use it for all sorts of shots all around the green and from inside 100 yards. So I went with the S grind which is the most versatile. With my 60* I mainly use that out of the sand or if I need to hit a flop shot around the green. In that case the wide sole is perfect for that so I went with the W grind there

Same for me. I went 54/58 with the same grind.

The best Callaway wedges put out in a while & the first that I can play consistently. These flat out perform as advertised.

Phil, how did you decide what grind to use with which wedge?

Nick told me on my MD3's and I was using the PM grind with RFC so that was a no brainier

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Great feedback guys. I put in an order for the 58 w grind. I didn't see many of you going with the PM grind. I take a hefty divot myself. I've mostly gotten 2nd hand talk on bounce, but since u guys were with RFC, I'll ask u guys.

i always stuck with low bounce options for my 58/60 because I was told too much bounce would cause me to skull my flop shots or play those clipped stop and drop shots. I do really well around the greens playing all sorts of shots with my 58* PM grind. But from a fairway 30-60 yards out in wet NC I think a bit more bounce would help. So why did most of you guys choose the MD3 over the PM grind and why the W grind vs S or C

I went with the 56s and 60w based on advice from my fitter (Nick) after telling him what types of shots I usually hit. From 90 and in I use the 56. Rarely full shots. Only use the 60 out of bunkers or short sided green shots. The W sole is like cheating out of the bunkers (after a little lesson from Roger Cleveland or course).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went 54w (which I was already gaming and loved) and 60w.

Adore the 60w, plenty versatile for me and the bounce is my friend. Actually chipped/pitched in 3 times with it in Cali.

I went 54w (which I was already gaming and loved) and 60w.

Adore the 60w, plenty versatile for me and the bounce is my friend. Actually chipped/pitched in 3 times with it in Cali.
The 54W is the one wedge I plan to give a run in 16. I've enjoyed my gamers but I feel like going back to Callaway wedges will happen.

The 54W is the one wedge I plan to give a run in 16. I've enjoyed my gamers but I feel like going back to Callaway wedges will happen.

Do you play mostly on Bermuda grass? That may actually be an awesome club for you

I holed in from 40 yards with my 58 on Wednesday. My wedges were about the only clubs I hit well that day.

e740997017d98197d424ceb8571a9f24.jpg

All three were weapons for me at the hideaway

just a beautiful picture.....if (or when) I get back to the MD) I'll likely go satin

Last edited:

Would you have gone satin if you weren't getting the PM grind?

Would you have gone satin if you weren't getting the PM grind?

No I would have gone black, but looking at my bag sitting in the corner right now I wouldn't change a thing.

No I would have gone black, but looking at my bag sitting in the corner right now I wouldn't change a thing.

Ya I agree with you. I love the black finish but it's such a great look to see the wedges in satin blend in with the Apex CF

Ya I agree with you. I love the black finish but it's such a great look to see the wedges in satin blend in with the Apex CF

Correct, I really really contemplated dropping PW and going 46* md3 as well, may pick one up and have options. I was dropping lawn darts with the 50.

Are these hands down better than the original md

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5000 percent better than the MD1.
I'm wishing you hadn't told me that. My cousin is trying to drag me to test wedges and I'm trying to resist change

I'm wishing you hadn't told me that. My cousin is trying to drag me to test wedges and I'm trying to resist change

Oh they are definitely WAY better than MD1.

Ok guess a day of wedge testing it is. Wedge game is my top priority for improving this year

I meant the md2. Not all the way back to the md1. I should have clarified that

These are my favorite wedges. The w grind on the 54 is easy peasy. May grab a 58w as well to,give a try instead of 58 PM grind which is a fun club to hit for short high chips

I am LOVING these wedges. the 60w is very versatile, but really excels at high soft pitches/flops. the 50s and 56s feel so solid on full swings, and both chip and pitch with tons of spin. out of the bunker the 56s is a breeze. coming off the rotex 2.0 THIS is what a wedge is supposed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Watched RFC Talking about bounce and grind and I'm pulling the trigger. I asked my fitter to order me the 58 with the W( I already had the 54 that I pre-ordered with a S grind). I'm one of those that just never knew any better so I practiced with nothing but my 58 around the greens so versatile wedges that let me execute different shots are my fav lol. Everyone be cool though, I am trying to take baby steps and use a 50 or 54 :). For some reason with those clubs I chunk that leading edge into the ground but I know what PhillyV learned from RFC and that edge :).

thanks again guys for sharing this along with everything else!

Back