You've Just Been Selected to the Grandaddy....

The last and final spot of the Grandaddy has just been filled and they call your name! After 24 hours, maybe more, of total disbelief and perma-grin. How do you begin to prepare to change the tides for team unity? What practice schedule and drills, with specifics, do you implement. Do you initiate a lesson program if your not already on one? What else can help you prepare for the trip of a lifetime?

I'm going to just try to get out as much as possible to work on my shorter game, and hit the range and course as much as I can to work on the rest. mainly I have changed how I actually play the game from before. I always worried about hitting the shot. now I actually spend more time thinking about the next shot rather than the shot at hand. Seems to be working ok for me, because I think about where do I want to try to be to hit the next shot.

I think My biggest issue has always been thinking I was going for the green on every shot. nope not anymore. Work on trying to be more consistent and let the game flow from there.

Honest question here.

Would anybody go out and rent a set of clubs for a round? See how well you could play with something your not 100% familiar with. I know its not the same as playing with clubs fitted by the best, but it does simulate a newness.

I'd actually rather not use a rented set, something about it just gets in my head. I'd either be really good with them or suck big time, so I prefer to wrap my hands around my own grips.

Any specific drills out there guys are doing on the practice green or driving range?

One thing I like to do is throw 3-6 balls out around the practice green. I have to get all of them consecutively up and down before I can go home. Usually takes me 3-4 tries, but a few times I've spent over an hour or so at it.

If your up for it, we should get together in the oxnard/ventura area for round before the Grandaddy. Don't know if you have much experience with match play, but that's always good prep. It's always fun together with fellow THPers. I know there are a few more they just attended the NorCal/SoCal event that would probably be interested in playing too.

I'm going to just try to get out as much as possible to work on my shorter game, and hit the range and course as much as I can to work on the rest. mainly I have changed how I actually play the game from before. I always worried about hitting the shot. now I actually spend more time thinking about the next shot rather than the shot at hand. Seems to be working ok for me, because I think about where do I want to try to be to hit the next shot.

I think My biggest issue has always been thinking I was going for the green on every shot. nope not anymore. Work on trying to be more consistent and let the game flow from there.

I took me days to finally stop smiling, my face hurt after a while. After that, short game and driving range into full swing. Even as it got closer, I was hitting into my net in the garage with a stocking cap on and I could see my breath as I hit balls. I didn't care, it was all for the team and desire to do my fellow THP'ers proud. I told myself I may never get another shot at this, and if I didn't give it 110% I'd regret it. I can look back and say that I know I did, and I'm proud of my teammates that I know THEY did, too!

If I didn't have a stroke right off the bat, it would be take the game to more higher end courses in the area, play them a bit longer than my comfort zone and call out everyone nearby, mward, JB, Tadashi, caeleric, xman, vman, wake anyone that would play to get the match play game in gear.

I don't mind getting beat (they are all sticks) if I compete and play my game correctly and get the handicap where it is reliable and plays anywhere.

Short game work for sure. Maybe enlist some buddies in a high stakes $$ round of golf to get some practice on

If your up for it, we should get together in the oxnard/ventura area for round before the Grandaddy. Don't know if you have much experience with match play, but that's always good prep. It's always fun together with fellow THPers. I know there are a few more they just attended the NorCal/SoCal event that would probably be interested in playing too.
I'm down to get in a round. Will be a few weeks, but definitely don't mind making the drive to get out. We should work on setting something up.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

This might be a reality soon for someone

First thing I would do is make sure my activity on THP is befitting the gift that was just given to me. I would make sure to include as much of the community as possible.

On the course it would be short game short game short game practice. I feel my ball striking and match play experience are quite solid at the moment but my short game is holding me back.

First off, I would be freaking out, and telling everyone I know.... and a lot of strangers would learn a lot about THP and #TheGrandaddy.

I would be setting a lot of time aside on a daily basis for golf related things. Practice, play, lessons, THP'ing.

Since winter is rapidly approaching here, I would be making the 2 hour trips to Winnipeg to hit in the golf dome, as well as heading to the winter golf school here to get swings in.

I can honestly say I wouldn't be changing my swing. It may not be the best, but I know/trust what I can do with it. If I were chosen, I would not be trying to revamp my game before the event. What I would be doing is getting a ton of short game/sand/putting practice in before things start to close down here.

First off, I'm not changing the tides of Team Unity. I'm joining in and doing what I do best. Giving 100% of myself to the effort on the course, range, and on THP. For me anything else simply isn't enough.

Extreme joy.

Permanent smile

Massive amount of short game work

Ultimate fun bringing all of THP along for the ride

You've Just Been Selected to the Grandaddy....

After the shock and amazement...

1). Get to know my teammates

2). Come up with a detailed practice plan that includes some method of continuing practice after the temperature drops and the white stuff starts falling from the sky AND also includes all kinds of THP engagement.

3). Execute practice and THP engagement plan

4). EDITED TO ADD - practice plan must include health/fitness plan to keep the extra 15 winter pounds off and maintain flexibility. Probably a lot of yoga.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First order of business would be to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Secondly i would ask my wife for a lesson in social media use (shes a pro) so that i could do my best to get this event all the attention it greatly deserves.

Lastly, See if the family would be willing to move to palm springs for the winter so i could practice and keep my game sharp for team unity!

Back