Testing a UST Mamiya Recoil shaft

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
I play Taylormade Burner 2.0's with Burner 2.0 85 regular flex shafts. Decided to install a graphite shaft into the 7 iron Srixon Z-Star set I recently bought. Had a fitting with the Srixon's when I first got them and they were made 2 degrees flatter 3-PW. I went to Golf Galaxy and tested a number of graphite shafts and settled on the UST Mamiya Recoil 460 F2 (senior) shaft. Bought one and had GG install it in the Z-Star head. Today I played and compared the graphite shafted Z-Star with the Burner 2.0 steel shafted 7 iron. The Recoil 460 F2 shafted Z-Star was longer and launched/flew higher than the Burner 2.0 7 iron. One one hole, a par 5, I laid up on the second shot and hit the Burner 2.0 7 iron and a bridgestone e6 ball, then made another good swing with the graphite shafted Z-Star 7 iron with a DT Trusoft ball. I couldn't believe it, the Z-Star graphite shafted 7 iron ball was 20 yards further than the Burner 2.0 steel shafted ball. Maybe the different balls made the difference, but the UST Mamiya shafted Z-Star 7 iron sure felt good and a higher launch/flight is what I'm looking for. I went to GG after the round and had them see what the swing weight on the Mamiya 460 F2 7 iron, it was C9. Thought it felt light playing it today. I bought some swing weight tape and made the 7 iron a D2 swing weight. Feels much better, now I can feel the head during the swing. Will play both 7 irons again Thursday. If all goes well, I will buy 7 more UST Mamiya 460 Recoil F2 shafts and reshaft the remaining 3-PW Z-Stars.

Interesting, Keep us informed on your tests. I' thinking of going graphite on my next set of clubs, so many choices so your review helps.

Enjoy the testing.
I switched to graphite a couple of years ago and have enjoyed it very much. I had some wrist injuries that made it a requirement to make it through a whole round and have really never looked back.

It ain't gonna work. There's just something about the Z-Star irons I don't like. I weighted the Z-Star 7 iron head to D2 and today I hit the UST Mamiya 460 Recoil 460 F2 (senior) shafted Z-Star 7 iron 5 times. Didn't hit it good once, maybe trying too hard, maybe just not into it or whatever, just can't hit it. Staying with my Taylormade Burner 2.0 steel shafted irons and not gonna change. I like em, I have confidence in em, and just flat out can't wait to pull one of em to make a shot.

I think at this point in my life the only way I can walk 18 and feel fully confident carrying a final shot on 18 160 hard to an island green is with graphite in my irons - far less wear and tear on a body I abide enough as it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recoils are in my immediate future also. Been having elbow issues, and occasional wrist.

I have nothing against the Recoil shaft, just can't make a good swing with the Z-Star iron head.

Pretty sure I am going to go Recoil in a set of Apex but will need to do a fitting first, will be hard to not go with the CTaper lites. Hoping I gel with them as I had a terrible case of golf elbow this fall for some odd reason. Just starting to feel better after about 3 months of no golf! Hopefully they really do make a difference!

I went from C Taper S to CTL S to Aerotech i95 R and now have the recoil 110 S and honestly these lose nothing compared to the others except pain IMO.

They are different for sure and takes a bit of getting used to the way they load, but after that you will never look back. IMO the Steelfibers loaded more like the CTL and still had the benefit of being easier on the joints.

Back