Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Its sure has a lot of head toe side of sweet spot...do any of you align up to the ball toe side of the Cally head mark?
If you look at it, the toe mass seems to stick out farther than the actual toe face... it sounds funny but the chevron is actually in the middle of the face, but not middle mass

EDIT: Jman already cleared this up

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Has anyone compared if the GBB 9.5 head set to +2* launches higher than a GBB 10.5 head set to neutral loft?

I demod the 10.5 on the course and liked it a lot. Yesterday the shop only had a 9.5 to try so I set it to +2 and also liked what I saw numbers wise. Since they didn't have a 10.5 head I couldn't get any comparison numbers.

Has anyone compared if the GBB 9.5 head set to +2* launches higher than a GBB 10.5 head set to neutral loft?

I demod the 10.5 on the course and liked it a lot. Yesterday the shop only had a 9.5 to try so I set it to +2 and also liked what I saw numbers wise. Since they didn't have a 10.5 head I couldn't get any comparison numbers.

Do they have a 9.5 head? I have the 9* head and have it set to 11*. I have compared it to the 10.5* head and it launched .6 higher than the 10.5 set to neutral. It is of course still the human side of things and could be a coincidence, but this was taken with 8-10 swings each on FlightScope and averaged.

Really good info BCS. It always just feels "right" when you find something that works for you.
Very true. I really like the forgiveness of this head, and when it goes, it really goes, so I am definitely going to have to find a shaft and get custom fit. I have a good feeling it will be my new gamer if that happens.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Its taking me a bit of adjustment coming from 816 deeper head to 'pure strike'. The head shape is just different and I have to train my swing into the ball to impact the zone.
Were do you guys set up to frame the ball?...on the cally mark or 'me' just toe side of that usually. If you set up on the mark it looks like too much club is past the ball
Best way to practice this is to grab 2 shag bags and pound away in to a net.

I hit the GBB 13/14 times today with 2 missed fairways. Really focused on center strikes early on as the wind was strong. The club performed so well it wasn't funny. When presented with down wind shots I took full advantage and let the club do the work. The club got better as the day progressed. This was the first time in a while I dint have a flare right. My misses were left and those were maybe 10' off the fairway.

It was nice to not fight with the club and just swing. Now if I could my gap wedge to start doing the same, I'll be all set.

Great stuff Freddie, do you think the Grandura is a large part of that? I love mine also, but looking for a lower spin mid launch shaft to get some more pop and roll out. going to try 8 deg setting tomorrow and see what happens with the shaft I have.

Great stuff Freddie, do you think the Grandura is a large part of that? I love mine also, but looking for a lower spin mid launch shaft to get some more pop and roll out. going to try 8 deg setting tomorrow and see what happens with the shaft I have.

I do, the combo is right up my alley. A week ago I was lost and Wardy can attest to that. With the swing fix the combo has become even more deadly. My buds were commenting on how consistent I've been hitting it over the last two rounds. I pull driver with hesitation now. Just have stay diligent to the changes.

Do they have a 9.5 head? I have the 9* head and have it set to 11*. I have compared it to the 10.5* head and it launched .6 higher than the 10.5 set to neutral. It is of course still the human side of things and could be a coincidence, but this was taken with 8-10 swings each on FlightScope and averaged.

It was a 9* my bad. Thanks for the info.

Hi All, I took the GBB out for an 18 hole demo yesterday, just with the stock Kuro Kage in stiff. Current driver is the Fly Z+ (stock VLCT stiff). The GBB was so easy to swing and was producing a really strong ball flight on well struck shots. Really surprised by how much I liked, and how well the KK at 50g played .. I swing driver at 102-105mph and usually fight high launch and spin. I found the GBB (surprisingly) to be a more consistent stronger ball flight than the Fly Z+.

I'm hoping some of you might have some thoughts on the stock KK vs the stock Fuji 665? I would think that the higher shaft weight would be a better fit, but wont have the chance to try it on course. Any thoughts would be most welcome!

I tested both and liked both actually. I didnt see too much difference between them. I preferred the feel of the Fuji.

13.5* Great Big Bertha with a Regular Flex Kuro Kage showed up today.

.... only 3 more months before I can swing it now. The wait begins.

Hi All, I took the GBB out for an 18 hole demo yesterday, just with the stock Kuro Kage in stiff. Current driver is the Fly Z+ (stock VLCT stiff). The GBB was so easy to swing and was producing a really strong ball flight on well struck shots. Really surprised by how much I liked, and how well the KK at 50g played .. I swing driver at 102-105mph and usually fight high launch and spin. I found the GBB (surprisingly) to be a more consistent stronger ball flight than the Fly Z+.

I'm hoping some of you might have some thoughts on the stock KK vs the stock Fuji 665? I would think that the higher shaft weight would be a better fit, but wont have the chance to try it on course. Any thoughts would be most welcome!

I tried both in my fitting. I was hitting both well, but in the end the Fuji was the top pick. Was really hitting em well with that shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried both in my fitting. I was hitting both well, but in the end the Fuji was the top pick. Was really hitting em well with that shaft.

That Fuji was giving you great launch out in California. The ball just seemed to carry for days. Solid set up for you

That Fuji was giving you great launch out in California. The ball just seemed to carry for days. Solid set up for you

Yeah, some of my best driving all year. Just goes to show what a proper fitting can do. Hoping to get out and get some swings in with the Oban shaft soon.

Hit this driver today with the TiNi 60 S, and was getting some really solid distance and numbers. I could game this driver in a minute, though it's not much of an improvement (if at all) over my current setup.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Forgive me if this has been covered but does anyone have experience with the white tie shaft compared to the kuro kage shaft with the GBB? I'm hoping I can get a chance to demo them side by side but I'm wondering if the White Tie might be a better option for me due to having a slower swing speed. I'm hoping to get some launch monitor time tomorrow to demo and possible get fit. I just hope my local shops have both shaft options for me to try.

Forgive me if this has been covered but does anyone have experience with the white tie shaft compared to the kuro kage shaft with the GBB? I'm hoping I can get a chance to demo them side by side but I'm wondering if the White Tie might be a better option for me due to having a slower swing speed. I'm hoping to get some launch monitor time tomorrow to demo and possible get fit. I just hope my local shops have both shaft options for me to try.

I actually do. I played the White Tie in mine when I first got it. It launches a bit higher than the KK shaft does and to me has a better feel, but the last part is subjective.

Was there much of a distance trade off due to the increased launch? either positive or negative? Obviously a demo and fitting will give the final answer for me but I'm hoping to make sure I get a chance to consider all the shafts that might be beneficial to me. I'm making an assumption that the stock Bassara will be too light for me and I don't feel I swing fast enough for the 315g weight class so I'm focusing on the 305g shafts. I don't know much about the PX LZ Blue or the Speeder 565. The White Tie and the stock shaft seem like they should be the best ones for me.

I actually do. I played the White Tie in mine when I first got it. It launches a bit higher than the KK shaft does and to me has a better feel, but the last part is subjective.

Also, what prompted you to drop the White Tie for your current shaft?

Also, what prompted you to drop the White Tie for your current shaft?

I tried Grandura once and was hooked. Up there with PX HandCrafted as the best shaft I have ever hit period.

Going to be heading to the range this morning to do some GBB testing and then playing tomorrow. Looking forward to getting this one in play. Made one small adjustment, with a grip change, but other than that, this club has stayed as it is/was. 1 small tick towards the fade setting on the sliding weight. Loft at 11* from the 9* head. And the Lamkin uTX grip.

Going to be heading to the range this morning to do some GBB testing and then playing tomorrow. Looking forward to getting this one in play. Made one small adjustment, with a grip change, but other than that, this club has stayed as it is/was. 1 small tick towards the fade setting on the sliding weight. Loft at 11* from the 9* head. And the Lamkin uTX grip.
Sounds like a money maker to me. What does bumping it up 2 degrees do to the face? Closed or open?

Back