Are You Captain Material?

Yes, I do.

I think I would make a fantastic captain. Yet at the same time, I can't exactly explain why I think that.

Fupi already explained it for you both. You're the same person, right?

Nope............. Not even close.

JM

Leadership is a big part of my career, I think I would make a good captain.... Up until I start thinking about how much I'd rather be playing...

I'm probably a better cheerleader than captain.

no, I do not want that spotlight, I will be there to help my captain though

I've been a captain before (on my college teams), so I know I can do it. However it's one thing to be a captain and command respect from your peers because you're one of the top performers on the team/in the conference. In that situation, your peers trust you because they know you're pulling from experience which has gotten you to the top of the program. In golf? I lack that performance to hang my hat on that would allow people to trust me to know what I'm doing/saying. So from a golf perspective ... no, I wouldn't be captain material.

What's important in a captain IMO, is the ability to settle people down when necessary, give them a boost when needed, and/or give them that clutch piece of advice that gets them back on track and in the right direction game-wise. Lower handicap players, or players who have been around the game for much longer than myself, have that deeper experience pool to draw from.

Last edited:
I get the question at hand... but I'm thinking about the role of a captain for just a minute here, and I may be the minority, but I think a "great captain" may not know whether he is or isn't but others shout "Yes he is"! Just a thought!

Nope, I couldn't.

I tend to analyze things and try to find a solution to any problem - if you give me the stats on the players I can come up with a game plan - otherwise I would need to see them play and see what each of their strengths/weaknesses are....

So yes, I do think I would be a good captain

I feel that I'd make a good Captain, yes. Having played with/in a few Ryder Cup Style events in my time, most recently the Grandaddy of course. I feel that I could help lead a team both on and off the course.

i don't think so. i think the responsibility would suck all the fun out of it for me. i think i'd be a much better assistant captain. like t says about mike, "this is the guy behind the guy behind the guy."

I guess it's the old answer... you never know until you are put in that situation. I would like to believe I would make a good captain but until the opportunity presents itself, you never know for sure!!

Nope. I don't like to be responsible for other people's actions.

Don't think I'm ready for captain just yet. I think I'm a pretty good teammate though.

As far as the main captain?? I'm not sure. But I'd be a great assistant. 2 heads are better than one.

I captained my high school baseball team, and held multiple leadership positions in my fraternity, so I think I could do it for sure. It would be a ton of fun to try for sure.

Nope. I don't like to be responsible for other people's actions.

That's something that took me a LOOOOONG time to sort out. At the end of the day, people make the events what they want them to be, and that includes both activity and interest level. The best thing to do is let them take the ride they want, and simply open the door for them to be involved as much as they want.

It might be the hardest aspect of captaining something on THP.

I think I would be a good captain. I have coached basketball, baseball and soccer for many years dealing with 5 year old children to high school seniors (who sometimes were worse than the 5 years old). Our teams always did pretty well and some of the kids became good friends.

Been there, and done that, both in team sports, and corporate America. However, having now participated in a "team" golf event, I can see it is a completely different animal. I believe I could do it, but I'd be better off as a non-playing captain. (And, since I enjoy playing so much, not sure how I would feel about that, anyway.)

As golfers, we're all "mental" up to a point, and have a wide range of abilities and emotional/mental makeup. So, I see a couple of things... if the team meshes well, and that also meshes with the captain's approach that would seem to work well. Or, you have a captain who is able to traverse all of the "needs" of his team. I think the latter is much more difficult, so the captain may have an ability that others don't.

Bottom line; I think a captain can only do so much. If the team doesn't mesh, or the overall approach doesn't work, or, if some folks just don't have their game for a match or two, or if the other team is playing really well, that could spell disaster. In these situatuons, I don't think it's necessarily that someone wasn't a good captain. Rather, a good number of things need to align for a team to win.

NOTE: I'm not speaking specifically of THP team events, as I've only played in one, but more watching events like the Ryder Cup and President's Cup.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Definitely not. I will give everything I can for my captain and will help out in any way but I'm not ready to run the show.

I believe I'm a good captain. Not always the best at what sport or job I'm doing, but I'm a good leader. I have the ability to make decisions on my own, and take responsibility for those decisions. On all teams as well as golf that I've been a captain, "almost" everyone liked and respected me and my decisions.
Been the captain in countless golf scrambles. Not always the best golfer, but my teams are always near the top if we don't win.
In school I was captain of the basketball team, volleyball team, and curling team.
Also I was accepted into the RCMP before I had my degree, which is almost impossible without good leadership skills. Never joined though as it would've been too much of a lifestyle change for me.
And now I run/captain my mens ball team, and actually run the league too.

Are You Captain Material?

I'm a Captain for a living. I manage a crew of 7, hundreds of guests a day and an 80 million dollar airplane.

I've done countless leadership courses, human factor courses and I make hundreds of decisions each flight that affect the safety of my crew and passengers.

I tend to bring this leadership style to everything I do including golf.

Back