DB86

Reaction score
Handicap
In my bag I currently have the following...
Driver - 10.5 degrees - 230-250 yards
3 wood - 15.5 degrees - 200-210 yards
3 hybrid - 19 degrees - 175-185 yards
4 iron - 20 degrees - 160 - 170 yards
Etc.

After playing today I feel like I have too much of a gap between my 3 wood and my 3 hybrid/4iron. I was considering getting either a 2 hybrid (17 deg) or maybe even a 1 hybrid (15 deg) to close up the gap. Do any of you play a 1 or 2 hybrid and if so do you use it often or is it just a one or two shot per round club. Also I don't hit my 3 wood off the deck very well so I tend to lose distance but I can smash my 3 hybrid with consistency. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't hit your 3 wood well, I'd drop that out for another hybrid.

I have a 1 Hybo that I can't hit to save my life. It's been banished to the garage with a few other clubs, if you don't hit your 3 wood well, you might look for a smallish 5 wood or a 7 wood (the Cally Heavenwood is apparently a great club, from reviews on THP) I use a Tightlies 3wood and a knock off 7 wood, I've got a similar gap between my 7 wood and my 5 iron, I haven't found anything in between there that I hit well, so I choke up on my 7 wood if I need to play something in the gap. For me my 7 wood and 1 hybo (if I accidentally hit it well) are about the same distance.

To actually answer your question instead of rambling... I'd take your 3hy to a place where you can test some clubs with either a launch monitor or a grass range, and see what you can hit that will fill that gap. NOthing wrong with playing a 1 hybrid if you can find one you hit well, but I'd give a 5/7 wood a try as well.

Last edited:
I recently ordered a Callaway Bertha 1.5 mini-driver for this same reason. I have 5i, 4H, 3W and feel there is a gap. With the mini-driver, I can adjust for the club I need since I purchased a 14°, I can adjust up 2° or down 1°. I hope to take the 3W out of the bag.

I have a 17* hybrid that I think is equivalent to a 2H, but haven't played it for a while. I have had better success with a 5W, 7W or Heavenwood. I am sure you could find a cheap option of either to test out.

I would recommend the Cleveland 588 7W that I have as one to look at, specs are very similar to the Heavenwood and can be found pretty dang cheap. Or check out several 17-18* hybrids, there are lots of options that are maybe a few years older that can be found for pretty cheap depending on your preference.

I'm in the process of replacing everything in my bag except for my putter and my Cleveland Mashie 1 and 2 hybrids (see below.) I hit the 1 in a store before getting one for $59 at Hurricane Golf, and I loved that so much I bought the 2. The 1 is 15.5 degrees with a pretty amazing C. Kua stiff shaft, and I can consistently get at least 220 yards from it. I have gotten 265 (?!) and there was a year when I did not carry a driver, hitting the 1 instead. I find it insanely easy to hit. The 2 is similar, and goes about 205-220 pretty consistently. Straightest, most confidence-inspiring clubs currently in my bag.

I'm worried about what happens if the 1 buys the farm - it's hard to find hybrids with lofts that low. For comparison, my distances:

5i - 170
4h - 180
3h - 190
2h - 205
1h - 220-235
D - 225-240

It was with a little reluctance that I shelved my 5 wood (215 yds) and 7 wood (195 yds), because I had a lot of success with both on them. I would highly recommend looking into a 1 and/or 2 hybrid. If they helped this 26 . . .

Most folks don't carry lower lofted hybrids, because, they don't have the swing speed to launch them properly. My suggestion would be to demo one, if possible, and, see if it works for you. Your best bet might be a higher lofted fairway wood, something in the 17-19 range.

I can't hit anything below a 4H consistently. I'd look into a 5 wood or maybe a heavenwood type club ...

Like you I also couldn't hit a 3W off the deck ... I have better results (though still not stellar) with a 4W.

Most folks don't carry lower lofted hybrids, because, they don't have the swing speed to launch them properly. My suggestion would be to demo one, if possible, and, see if it works for you. Your best bet might be a higher lofted fairway wood, something in the 17-19 range.

Really interesting point about the swing speeds.

I can't hit anything below a 4H consistently. I'd look into a 5 wood or maybe a heavenwood type club ...

Like you I also couldn't hit a 3W off the deck ... I have better results (though still not stellar) with a 4W.

This is exactly what I was thinking... You may not find much distance loss from your 3 wood as chances are you might find it easier to hit.... A 5 wood may be a nice in-between.

Thanks for all the help. I'm considering a nice used 5 wood. Any suggestions. I'm a Taylormade fan but am open to others.

Thanks for all the help. I'm considering a nice used 5 wood. Any suggestions. I'm a Taylormade fan but am open to others.

I have had good luck with the TaylorMade woods, but you should buy the one that works best for you when you hit it. The few times I have bought a club without first swinging a reasonable facsimile thereof, I have regretted it. A lot. Re TM - I would have won the long drive contest at our department scramble last year using a borrowed Burner Bubble, but my shot wound up in the first cut by four inches. And yet, when I tried a new M1 last week, I couldn't hit it straight to save my life. I'm pretty sure I have learned to shed any pre-conceived ideas when I'm trying out a club.

Back