PING Gmax Irons Review Thread

I hit these in Golfsmith last weekend. They do have a unique sound...kind of a hybrid sound......but they are very forgiving.

For people that are gaming them....is the sound as noticeable when you are playing outside?

I found that the sound is less noticeable outdoors vs. indoors. Others in the past have also made similar comments.

I've played several rounds with mine so far and I'm not impressed. They felt better at the fitting than now. (I'm sure user error has a lot to do with it) May be looking into something a tad bit softer. I do like the noise, noticeable, but not too loud.

I had pretty much narrowed my selection between the Ping GMax and the Callaway XR OS irons. I am tainted because I did have a windfall by going with Callaway, but the XR OS irons do feel soft. I use graphite shafts, so either one is pretty nice.

John

I had pretty much narrowed my selection between the Ping GMax and the Callaway XR OS irons. I am tainted because I did have a windfall by going with Callaway, but the XR OS irons do feel soft. I use graphite shafts, so either one is pretty nice.

John

Try the Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Irons if they are available to test. Blew away my GMax irons.

Well I've just joined this club having received my set (4-W) last week to replace, or rather compliment depending on mood, my Srizon Z545's.

I'm a high capper, mid 20's+ and my main problem is inconsistency due to a few swing faults (reverse pivot, hitting ground before ball on a very bad strike and picking cleanly on a good one), what I've found is that I can play great with the Z545's on a good day but when it's not going so well I struggle so I wanted something a bit more forgiving...

I played my first round (9 hole) on Saturday and shot a personal record-equalling 38 (par 33 course, not too hard)!

Now my average on this course which I play most weekends, weather permitting, is probably between 45-50. I'm not a big hitter (80-85mph driver swing speed) and came to golf late (early 30's, I'm 39 now), I'm certainly not a natural.

What I found with the Gmax is that they didn't feel or sound as good as the Z545's but all my shots went well, even the fairly poor ones going straight, I don't really slice any more and straight, high & short is my usual shot but I did feel the club was giving me assistance "getting it out there". In particular the long irons - I almost got a hole in one with the 4 iron on a 173 yard par 3 where I just came to a stop on the back fringe followed by a near eagle on a 383 yard par 4 with my second shot which ended up around 18" from the pin. No shots felt what I would call great and the main differences didn't come from feel but sound - good ones making a higher pitched "Ping" (ahem) and poorer ones mainly being from the bottom and lower pitched. The Z545's always felt better, even on bad miss hits (I've often ended up with ball prints well into the chrome toe section!). The thing is the wider blade means those mishits seem to be less frequent - I would often get those toe hits and even shanks with the 545's when I was playing badly - I'm only a round in with the Gmax's but it does feel like they'll help more on those days.

One last point was that the Gmax's also felt a better fit despite the same adjustments - -1/2" and 1 degree flat was what the Srixon fitting came out with (I'm 5'7") but I never felt like it was 100% right, still feeling a little toe-up whereas the Gmax at 1/2" short and black dot feel just right.

So far so good!

Back