Cobra King LTD Driver - THP Review

*Aldila ATX Tour Blue 65 (R, S, X), 75 (R, S, X), 85 (S, X)

- Aldila ATX Tour Green 65 (R, S, X), 75(S, X)

- Matrix White Tie 55X4 (R, S)

- Matrix Red Tie 65Q4 (R, S, X)

- Matrix Black Tie 75M4 (S, X)

- Project X HZRDUS 65 (S, X), 75 (S, X)

- UST Elements Chrome 5 (R, S), 6 (R, S, X), 7 (S, X)

- UST Elements Chrome+5 (R, S), 6 (R, S, X), 7 (S, X)
Something to remember about Aldila. If you go to the Aldila web site, they recommend R-flex shaft for 90-100 mph swing speeds and A-flex shafts for 75-90 mph SS. S-flex for 100-110 mph. So dial back your flex with Aldila. This includes the stock Rogue.

And for the other shaft mfgrs. go to their web sites and look up the fitting guide for the shafts before making your selections. They vary. The overall performance isn't going to make that much difference, but the feel will make a difference. And the kick points change slightly.

I had a RIP'd NV R-flex in a driver that felt like a board. I put an A-flex Trinity in the same driver and got exactly the same numbers on Trackman, but it felt like I didn't have to swing out of my socks to get a decent shot. I have a 95 mph SS. I just prefer a softer flex.

Aldila Fitting Guide

Something to remember about Aldila. If you go to the Aldila web site, they recommend R-flex shaft for 90-100 mph swing speeds and A-flex shafts for 75-90 mph SS. S-flex for 100-110 mph. So dial back your flex with Aldila. This includes the stock Rogue.

And for the other shaft mfgrs. go to their web sites and look up the fitting guide for the shafts before making your selections. They vary. The overall performance isn't going to make that much difference, but the feel will make a difference. And the kick points change slightly.

I had a RIP'd NV R-flex in a driver that felt like a board. I put an A-flex Trinity in the same driver and got exactly the same numbers on Trackman, but it felt like I didn't have to swing out of my socks to get a decent shot. I have a 95 mph SS. I just prefer a softer flex.

Aldila Fitting Guide

This is great advice and something I was not aware of. Thank you for that!

I spent some time this evening watching Youtube reviews of this club and I am getting pumped to give this a whirl.

Just read through this again Dan, again, great work sir and it merits a bump for people who missed it. I need to hit this at some point.

THOROUGH review here people!

I'll second all that.

I'm holding off on a GBB purchase because I want to hit this first. My fitter is saying Cobra sales guy won't get him product until the end of Nov, but I thought these were coming out mid-Nov!!???!!

i am really pumped to try this thing when it hits stores! i saw your witb post with this and the fairway wood in the bag. is it just me, or did the fairway wood look like it has a pretty big footprint?

Sorry, forgot to post this earlier. Side by side with the GBB 3 wood.

b8c4f3a21180c1cc277cf2f13a0b1f0b.jpg

Sorry, forgot to post this earlier. Side by side with the GBB 3 wood.

b8c4f3a21180c1cc277cf2f13a0b1f0b.jpg

very helpful! thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 15 more swings today with this one in direct comparison to my Great Big Bertha and both performed really well, but are very different. The King LTD has a more muted thud at impact and the GBB has an explosive crack at impact. Carry distance was actually really similar despite getting there two different ways. Lower spin on the KING LTD and with raised loft and center strikes, the King would be a longer carry driver for me. Misses knocked a bit more off the LTD than the GBB, but not crazy penal in any way.

All in all, a very good driver and one of the better performers I have hit in 2015.

About 15 more swings today with this one in direct comparison to my Great Big Bertha and both performed really well, but are very different. The King LTD has a more muted thud at impact and the GBB has an explosive crack at impact. Carry distance was actually really similar despite getting there two different ways. Lower spin on the KING LTD and with raised loft and center strikes, the King would be a longer carry driver for me. Misses knocked a bit more off the LTD than the GBB, but not crazy penal in any way.

All in all, a very good driver and one of the better performers I have hit in 2015.

How would you compare these drivers for low on the face misses JB? Assuming you even miss it there? GBB isn't a head that fits me well at all but my thinking is that has more to do with me being more prone to miss low on the face than anywhere else? The zero neutral axis CG on the King has me very intrigued.

How would you compare these drivers for low on the face misses JB? Asuuming you even miss it there? GBB isn't a head that fits me well at all but my thinking is that has more to do with me being more prone to miss low on the face than anywhere else? The zero neutral axis CG on the King has me very intrigued.

Based on FlightScope numbers, the GBB offered more forgiveness low on the face. Now keep in mind, this is much to do about spin and face angle a lot of the time. A very low spin head or a head lower in spin, often times, will get a huge variances when hit low on the face in comparison to the middle. That means less flight time and some unusual shots. Where as the GBB has a spin zap for sure, but not quite the same as the even lower spin heads.

I need to hit this. Little less spin that the GBB might be good for me. Maybe I could play it with a touch more loft too so I don't have to feel like I need to try and lift the ball up as much.

Based on FlightScope numbers, the GBB offered more forgiveness low on the face. Now keep in mind, this is much to do about spin and face angle a lot of the time. A very low spin head or a head lower in spin, often times, will get a huge variances when hit low on the face in comparison to the middle. That means less flight time and some unusual shots. Where as the GBB has a spin zap for sure, but not quite the same as the even lower spin heads.

I can't speak for GBB as I haven't hit it, but I certainly talked a lot about trying to tee it higher and get contact at the center point or a touch above for optimal launch on the King LTD. It's absolutely great to hear that you share the same sentiment, and I see it as a positive thing as you can separate the ball from the ground for an even better chance at clean contact.

looking forward to the Reviews...

I need to hit this. Little less spin that the GBB might be good for me. Maybe I could play it with a touch more loft too so I don't have to feel like I need to try and lift the ball up as much.

Im playing it at 12*

looking forward to the Reviews...

Check out the link in the OP. Great review done by Canadan on the THP Home page.

that's what I thought, but couldn't remember. That means I might be able to play this at 9.5-10.5. I like that.

My wallet cringes with every bump of this thread. I need these to get in store asap

I can't speak for GBB as I haven't hit it, but I certainly talked a lot about trying to tee it higher and get contact at the center point or a touch above for optimal launch on the King LTD. It's absolutely great to hear that you share the same sentiment, and I see it as a positive thing as you can separate the ball from the ground for an even better chance at clean contact.

Awesome. Speaking for myself I do tee it significantly higher than most (3.25 epoch tees with all lines well above ground) and play the ball forward and swing up at about +4 AoA but I catch it low becuase I sometimes hang back and don't get through it well. If I'm remembering right you reviewed the R15 too right? That's a head that does fit me decently. If it wasn't too long ago to remeber, how would you say the King LTD and R15 heads compare on low face misses?

Awesome. Speaking for myself I do tee it significantly higher than most (3.25 epoch tees with all lines well above ground) and play the ball forward and swing up at about +4 AoA but I catch it low becuase I sometimes hang back and don't get through it well. If I'm remembering right you reviewed the R15 too right? That's a head that does fit me decently. If it wasn't too long ago to remeber, how would you say the King LTD and R15 heads compare on low face misses?

I think as a whole, the King LTD is a more forgiving driver. I loved a lot about the R15 but it lost me on my misses laterally (not so much low on the face, but rather side to side). Sounds like they've improved that a bit moving to M1, but I think it would be appropriate for me to hit the M1 directly before drawing solid comparisons.

For the record, I found R15 to be one of the longest drivers (for me) from last year.... But as I've already proven from this release cycle, sometimes you need to give up a few MPH of ball speed or a couple MPH of swing speed for the extra few fairways. I'm certain that King LTD is going to produce better numbers across the face than a majority of driver releases from 2014/early 2015.

I think as a whole, the King LTD is a more forgiving driver. I loved a lot about the R15 but it lost me on my misses laterally (not so much low on the face, but rather side to side). Sounds like they've improved that a bit moving to M1, but I think it would be appropriate for me to hit the M1 directly before drawing solid comparisons.

For the record, I found R15 to be one of the longest drivers (for me) from last year.... But as I've already proven from this release cycle, sometimes you need to give up a few MPH of ball speed or a couple MPH of swing speed for the extra few fairways. I'm certain that King LTD is going to produce better numbers across the face than a majority of driver releases from 2014/early 2015.

Thanks Dan, for all your insight into this club. M1 and the King are by far the two I'm most intrigued by right now. Can't wait to really test them out.

Back