Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

Have a PX LZ70 Handcrafted coming for this one.

I adore the stock shaft, but there is NOTHING out there like the feel of the handcrafted shafts.
I have lz 6.5 58g blue one, and it's a match made in heaven!

Haven't used mine much the last couple rounds as I try to figure out top end of bag and what I am willing to give up in distance from driver. This is going back in the bag for my rounds this weekend and my utility iron is coming out. Sat round will probably have 7 holes or so that I can use it on instead of pulling driver and possible causing some trouble or awkward distances

Got a 14* head coming and will use an ilima shaft that plays to 44" installed in a big Bertha driver. What do you think it will play into the mini, 43.5?

Finally got out to the course after a week of travel to use my new Bertha Mini (courtesy lightningbolt44). 12* with the KK stiff. Wow, what a club.

I can't seem to miss left with this unless I really try. I hit it on 11 holes (all our par 4s) plus out of the fairway on one par 5. I was playing by myself so hit quite a few second balls, adjusted the head throughout (from -1 to +2, all standard though). In all those swings, I had two bad shots, one of which hit a tree and came back in the fairway. They both came from guarding against missing left and hitting a carver to the right. Otherwise, the club was nails.

My confidence level was sky high. What was most exciting, though, was the fact that this club is still LONG. Drove it over the short par 4 second (283 yards on the card, probably only about 265 to the middle direct). Two of my best drives of the round were on the 400 yard 4th, I caught a downhill and had 53 yards left to the pin from the middle of the fairway. On the 395 yard, slightly downhill, dogleft left 15th, I had 37 yards to a back pin from the middle of the fairway. Both drives were precise, and I could only hope to hit my driver any further if I caught it absolutely perfect.

The contact is solid every time - it's like driving a nail. Love the sound, the feedback, etc. No doubt the performance is due to the shorter shaft, the need to focus on solid contact, and great technology/design and shaft combo. Needless to say, I'm excited.

Oh, and out of the fairway, set to +2, I hit a low, penetrating shot into the wind precisely pin high just left of the green. Had 267 to the pin. I was happy. Will take a ton of confidence to the course the next time out.

First time out on the course today. Club was AWESOME! I hit it much more thank should of but the distance was so good I just kept hitting it. Most were in the mid to upper230s range. My 3w was usually about 225. Longest was 250 and only had a couple of miss hits.

Overall between about 4 range sessions and a round I am pretty happy with this club. I still hit the driver as I had some solid drives today as well. But. If the hole was tight or I needed a little more confidience to keep it in the center I went with this club. Fits very nicely (for me at least) between my BB815 and my XR hybrids. Thanks again for all the reviews from everyone but please stop as I'm running out of $$$$.

Ws struggling off the tee with my Alpha yesterday and had to continue to play a cut/slice nearly the entire round.

Was playing with a buddy who regularly out drives me and just was using this all day and was even if not 5-10 yards longer than me.

I asked to it a shot and it feels like a rocket off the face and was even with my drive but straight

Serious ponder mode!

I played this on 6 holes yesterday and found the fairway on 4 with the other two any a foot or less into the rough. It was giving me about 250 total off the tee. I know when struggling with driver I know I can out it away and play this off the tee and not really give much up

I have benched my driver and using my 3 wood off the tee I think I should try this club.

My time with the Mini came to a close today, as I sold mine to a fellow THPer. At the end of the day, I could never recreate the magic that happened with Kang's Mini during that round in Branson. While this is a solid club I'm going back to a more traditional set up.

Thanks to chasd3, this beauty showed up today! I like the larger head and the adjustability. Finding a Mini with a PX shaft in it has been near impossible. I swung Kang’s in Branson and loved it but his was a 6.5. I can hit my fairway wood off the deck well but the Mini should be more forgiving off the tee, and if it gets a few more yards out of it so much the better. I have the spot open in the bag so I think this will be a good combo!

f8d5af78228b3a6d63d79ced2eb158df.jpg

b3849da419edeab4475ca96e168cb389.jpg

Got one from Jaysfan and got it on the range. 12* w speedster stiff shaft.
Ball flight is higher than my driver but nowhere near as high as my 3w. Not sure on distance (hitting into wind) but it felt like the ball travelled well. Sliced a few (archer problem) but not bad overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never felt any confidence with this since I bought. Poor to indifferent range sessions kept it closeted. Took it out finally and figured I'd try it. Left my driver in the car and hit the mini exclusively. 8/11 fairways with only one bad miss (an OK right. ) Shortest fairway drive netted 237 and longest was 278. About where I'd expect my driver to range. It was interesting that I didn't really have a sense of this club on the range. On the course, I decided to set up and swing just as if it were my 4w from the tee. Broke 80 for first time this season.

Back to killing this one off the tee and deck today, was like finding an old friend.

Thanks to an awesome THPer there is one of these that will soon be on its way to my house. This wasn't a purchase, more of a trial type thing so I can see if it's something I would want in my bag in the future. I can't wait!

The very best club in my bag. So versatile and so long off the tee. I use this club whenever I'm stuck in the trees. Well most of the time. It can go a long ways with just a quarter punch swing, which makes it easy to get out of trees and make up a lot of distance lost. I wanted to mention that just because that side of this clubs utility is not often thought of. As a crappy golfer of the highest order, I have to deal with those situations more then some.

I'm honestly amazed at how comfortable I've become with this off the deck, its borderline silly at times.

Yesterday I had second shot from 231 to the front into a big wind on a par 5 and dropped one right on the front edge, SILLY.

I'm honestly amazed at how comfortable I've become with this off the deck, its borderline silly at times.

Yesterday I had second shot from 231 to the front into a big wind on a par 5 and dropped one right on the front edge, SILLY.

Do you sweep or hit down on the ball off the deck?

I witnessed this first hand a few times. You pulled off some awesome shots with this bad boy!

The very best club in my bag. So versatile and so long off the tee. I use this club whenever I'm stuck in the trees. Well most of the time. It can go a long ways with just a quarter punch swing, which makes it easy to get out of trees and make up a lot of distance lost. I wanted to mention that just because that side of this clubs utility is not often thought of. As a crappy golfer of the highest order, I have to deal with those situations more then some.

I was having an off day with the driver on the front 9 and decided to use this bad boy off the tee on the back 9. It performed admirably. It is such a peace of mind having this thing ready to split fairways like nobody's business!
Shot a 45 on the front with the driver and a 39 with this club...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took it out for my last round. Used it on 7 of the 9 holes played. Here are my initial thoughts. I have a little concern about it but hoping tweaking settings will help.

I like the looks of the head size compared to the XR Pro fairway wood I would otherwise use.

With the exception of one tee shot where I teed it too low, every swing felt comfortable. I felt like I had good control over this club.

Both are 14° heads. Both have PX 6.0 shafts in them. But the Mini launches WAY higher than the XR Pro does. When I teed the ball low (almost ground level), I was getting a lot of sidespin on the drives. When I teed it higher (about an inch off the ground) the ball flight straightened out but still was going very high. As a result I got next to no roll on a course with pretty firm fairways where roll is expected.

As a result, my drives were all shorter than I had been getting with the XR Pro fairway. Anywhere from 10 yards to 30 yards shorter. And that was almost exclusively due to the lack of roll. By the eyeball test, it looked like the carry distance was the same as the XR Pro.

My first plan is to change the setting to -1 (13°) and keep it neutral. I like the lateral ball flight I was seeing, I just need to get it to launch lower. I was getting similar carry with a much higher launch, so if I can lower that launch and get the rollout back I think that should equate to 10 yards or more out of total distance over what the XR Pro gives me, if not more.

Last edited:
Do you sweep or hit down on the ball off the deck?

Just saw this, hit down, face is WAY too deep to sweep it and get it up in the air consistently.

I need to figure out if this will be in play for me or not. Really unsure. I'm going to have to really bug Pete during out next round about those courses. As well as looking back through the Live threads from the previous Grandaddy years.

I need to figure out if this will be in play for me or not. Really unsure. I'm going to have to really bug Pete during out next round about those courses. As well as looking back through the Live threads from the previous Grandaddy years.

I think you'd enjoy it Dean, smaller than the Mini you play, but not bad. I know its a type of club you are comfortable with.

The hideaway (Clive for sure) is decently forgiving off the tee. I can see one of these potentially in my bag because it's another tee weapon and because I never hit 3w off the deck anyway

The hideaway (Clive for sure) is decently forgiving off the tee. I can see one of these potentially in my bag because it's another tee weapon and because I never hit 3w off the deck anyway
See i love hitting my 3w off the deck and tee. Neither bother me really. But its older (TM RBZ) and ive never really given another 3w a chance. Itll be interesting to see if I go with Driver + Mini then to either a heaven wood or hybrid or stick with my current set up and go Driver 3w 5w

Back