Any tips on building up to walking 18?

Jmilla

Reaction score
Handicap
I have had some injuries the past two years so I have been rising more. I'm going to Scotland this spring and will have to walk the courses. Any tips for building up to this? I have a clicgear at home so am planning on walking as much as possible from now on anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had some injuries the past two years so I have been rising more. I'm going to Scotland this spring and will have to walk the courses. Any tips for building up to this? I have a clicgear at home so am planning on walking as much as possible from now on anyway.

Best way is to start walking for exercise I would think. A good stretching regime as well if walking makes you tighten up.

My normal group took a trip there last year and said the electric push carts were the best thing since sliced bread there.

As far as stamina, I would say ease in to it. Try some 6 hole rounds, then 9 just keep progressing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would start by walking as far as you feel comfortable. (try to measure distance) and then build from there. Stretching is important for sure. Try to devote a certain time every day where you can walk and just increase as you can.

I'd say just start taking walks, short maybe at first and then build on that

I'd say just start taking walks, short maybe at first and then build on that

I like this strategy. If you try too much too soon you end up with lots of sore muscles!

Get some walks in everyday, and maybe go with a push cart if you're looking to cut down on wear and tear as well. Good luck!

Like others said build up to it. Start getting yourself ready before you get on the course. Stretch regularly and start walking around your neighborhood.

Exactly that: build up to it. Stay hydrated and put some protein/fat in the body at the turn and every few holes. You will feel it but after walking 18, it's not so bad.

Bad feet, bad knees, walk 18.

With the push cart it's not too bad. I walked 9 holes numerous times this summer, 18 a few times. after 18 my feet would be tender, but nothing too bad. You've got the cart, just go out and walk 9, or as far as you can, and keep at it until 18 is NBD. Don't forget to hydrate. My goal in the summer is a bottle of water every 3 holes, because that's where the water coolers are at my course. Snacks are a good idea as well.

Aspirin is your friend. (or any other pain medicine) Take it before the round and it will keep you from getting too sore.

I just started playing again after 20 years. I don't like to ride, and in the past I always played better when I walked. I walked 18 from the very start this summer and I felt it for about the first week. After that it wasn't bad at all. I tried both push and pull carts and decided I like pull carts better.

Get the best push/pull cart you can afford, don't walk too fast and take some aspirin when needed. You'll enjoy golf more by walking.

Later,

John

I always walk when I can, even on the hottest days.

I don't know your budget, and I don't know if they're available, but you might want to get a caddie. Might be fun. They'll lug the bag for you, so all you'll have to worry about is yourself.

You might want to lose some weight assuming you're overweight because it's going to be hell on the knees, and like everyone said here, start walking. You can try a few holes first, then a full nine, then the whole course, and then maybe courses that go up and down.

Keep yourself loaded with fluids. I prefer natural coconut water, bananas, eggs and tuna sandwich, but whatever keeps you hydrated and energized.

You might also want to get a nice pair of walking shoes. I just got myself a spikeless adiboost, lightweight and spongy on the heels, which I can use for golf and the rest of life.

Last edited:
I play at a course where I've begun walking 3 holes (3/4 mile) carrying a Sunday bag with 5 clubs. Since I play about 1 hour before sunset it's no problem and I worked a deal with the GM for $10. Their rack rate for 9 holes is $13.

My plan is to increase by increments of 3 holes over a period of time.

I use a Clic-gear push cart. I don't want to lug around 14 clubs at my age. If i carried I'd probably only carry a Driver, HB, 6, 7, 8, 9, GW, SW, Putter.

Still I take 2 Advil about an hour before the round, and 2 more at the turn. I carry two 16 oz bottles of water and two Powerades. If I need more (i.e. it's hot) I'll buy another in the snack bar, or from the cart. I do not consume alcohol on the course.

In the winter I start my conditioning program of walking treadmill 40 mins/day 7% incline @ about 3 mph and work up to 12% incline.

In the winter I start my conditioning program of walking treadmill 40 mins/day 7% incline @ about 3 mph and work up to 12% incline.
Once you are up to it, walking up hills or on an incline will provide more strength and stamina than just walking. Our average golf course here is a 5.5 mile walk but some go to 7. I walk during the winter, either indoors (track,treadmill) or out but always look to walk at least 4 miles and up to 6 if I have the time.

Thanks all for the advice I appreciate it! I like the sound of the electric push carts over there. Hopefully building up slowly will help my endurance and maybe lose a bit of weight.

I walked today with my ClicGear 3.5+ for the first time in years, and I was a little gassed towards the end. I think the best way is to build up is to walk somewhat regularly so you get your legs under you.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advice I appreciate it! I like the sound of the electric push carts over there. Hopefully building up slowly will help my endurance and maybe lose a bit of weight.

Yes, you'll want to build up to a solid 4-5 miles /day.

Best to check in advance which courses will have push carts available for hire and more importantly, which courses even permit them.

Take a caddie whenever available. You'll enjoy the whole experience so much more.

Pack for every conceivable weather condition - and two pairs of golf shoes (one to wear while other pair dries out) & you should be covered.

Try running a mile or 2 a day. If you can't run it than walk it. 25-50 sit ups or push a day as well. Can be broken up to 25 in the morning/evening or sets of 10. You should notice a boost in energy within 2 weeks.

stretch prior to the round. stretch during the round. go out with a friend and put your clubs on the golf car. let he/she drive and you walk as much as possible. aspirin or Naproxyn prior to the round and at the turn. when you can hike 18 w/o pain or being too winded, start using a push cart. hydrate well, and bring a banana or 2 for the potassium intake. keeps the leg cramps at bay. good luck with your regimen, whatever you choose.

Stretch before, during, and after the round. Hydrate often, and don't forget a pair of good comfortable shoes will make a huge difference for your feet, knees, and lower back.

Do you have a par 3 course near by? We have one and it's a nice way to get in the groove of walking a course... Like others have said, too, I am sure just getting out and taking regular walks will help condition you. I got a clicgear 3.5+ a while back and it took me about 3 rounds to break in and feel ok afterwards... I have been riding more lately so I need to stop that. I wish getting in shape happened as fast as getting OUT of shape!!

If I'm only playing 9 during the week I'll walk with a push cart and if 18 then cart the back (Hilly). If on Friday night, vacant course, I'll walk the entire time but legs are burning a bit until I get to 13, course flattens there. If it's a saturday/sunday round then I'll see what others in my group are doing and follow suit but it will be a slow round so walking is doable. A local par 3 I play once a week for iron game I walk all the time and it's very hilly and I feel it but after/during beers help.

Back