Perhaps, someone can explain

UVaWahoo

Reaction score
Handicap
There are days when hitting balls at the range prior to a round, I hit some of the worst shots I can hit, but on the course I have one of my best rounds. Conversely, on the range I'm hitting the ball well figuring that I will have a good day scoring wise, only to discover on the course that ain't happening. It makes absolutely no sense to me, perhaps someone can explain why good range feelings do not generate a better round and the converse.

Because #golf

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The only thing I can think of is that with a bad range outing, you may pay a little more attention to your mechanics on the course, and conversely with a good range session you may become a bit lax. It's the only thing that remotely makes sense to me ... in reality it's probably just a random think that simply drives us crazy.

it's a four-letter word that starts with g and ends with f. that's just the way the game works. my buddy was telling me that he played one of the best rounds he'd played in awhile by being ridiculously hung over. so the next time he was scheduled to play, he drank his face off the night before. he rinsed, but he wasn't able to repeat!

Golf is hard.

Golf is hard.
And to add to this....We are AMATUERS...counting on repeatable swings for most of us, is like hoping to hit the lottery.

have had the same happen very any times. Great range followed by terrible play and terrible range followed by great play. How about a terrible 9 and a great 9? its all happened every which way you can imagine. It is what it is. The only thing consistent is that its constantly inconsistent.

And to add to this....We are AMATUERS...counting on repeatable swings for most of us, is like hoping to hit the lottery.

Not even close.

I at least have a 1 in 250,000,000 chance of hitting the lottery.

I'm beginning to think that golf is an "empty headed" game--the less I think the better I do, the more I think the worse I do. Perhaps, I am a "Jedi" golfer and on some days, I just find myself on the dark side of the force.

I'm beginning to think that golf is an "empty headed" game--the less I think the better I do, the more I think the worse I do. Perhaps, I am a "Jedi" golfer and on some days, I just find myself on the dark side of the force.

well...we do need a clear head to golf..lol
But really the scenario you mention is sort of a catch-22 or sort of like the chicken or the egg question as to which comes first. Thinking is often the product of poorer play. Are we really playing better because we think less? or are we simply thinking less because we are playing better? Start to falter and eventually at some point no matter how hard you may try if it doesn't fix itself we then have to start thinking why and what.

So wait I'm not the only one who experiences this? lol its golf and she is a fickle creature gives when she wants to and then takes right back.

That's one if the reasons I use the pre round range session as a warmup. If I worried about how good or bad it is/was it gets in my head. When it comes to amateur golf we experience days like that.

Why is it you can put a few good rounds together, maybe even a couple real good ones, then Boom total crap for 3-4 rounds in a row. Same clubs, same courses, same knucklehead holding the clubs.....damn game. I need new clubs now, it is the only thing that could be causing the problem.:banghead:

I've found that when I have a good range session prior to a round I'm likely to try and play harder shots or spend too much time trying to figure out what I was doing on the range to make myself hit the ball better. What I did last year was hit enough balls to get warm and stick to a plan where I'm not so aggressive.

No clue but I can say this has happened to me before to the point I don't like to hit the range before a round anymore. I always seem to play worse if I do.

Golf is hard. The range is just the same shot over and over from a great lie for most people.

All the other 4 letter words were taken.

It's such a frustrating sport. Sometimes I wonder why I do it as a "stress release".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Along the same lines I can't understand how I can play terrible (+7) for 8 holes, birdie 4 of the next 5 holes and then play like crap the rest of the way. What fun would it be if it was easy?

Golf is a difficult game. My advice is range time before around is warm up to get loose. I never practice anything specific before a round. Get loose and a lot of half wedge shots. Then hit a few clubs to get your yard ages for the day. Basically take the brain out of the process as much as possible!

Personally my practice time is separate from my golf rounds. Almost never hit the range before a round. I feel psychologically the shots good or bad are setting a level of expectation on yourself, and it starts to play with your mind through out the round.

Realistically, it's difficult to translate range success because it's much less pressure on each shot as you pound the balls out there, in order to better translate success, you would have to simulate the pressure by playing a target game. As far as doing terrible on the range then doing well later on the course, perhaps your level of expectation is so low, you actually relax, the game is easier when you're relaxed. #golf indeed.

Golf is weird. Generally speaking I play better with a range session before though. I fight the lefts off the tee with the driver and some days it takes 10 or 20 drives to get it out of my system. Never ends well when those swings to get rid of them happen on the course. Once I get all that out of my system there is still no real explanation that some days are good some are bad even with a good range session before the round.

There are days when hitting balls at the range prior to a round, I hit some of the worst shots I can hit, but on the course I have one of my best rounds. Conversely, on the range I'm hitting the ball well figuring that I will have a good day scoring wise, only to discover on the course that ain't happening. It makes absolutely no sense to me, perhaps someone can explain why good range feelings do not generate a better round and the converse.

I have that same problem. A day before on the range I had to adjust my driver to neutral because every almost every drive I hit was either a draw or a hook.

The next day, a tournament, using the same golf shoes, lo and behold, I end up with curly slices for the first 13 holes.

I made it okay because I remained calm, especially since I can no longer change the driver settings in a tournament, and my adjustments the day before actually HELPED my slice. As I sliced the ball into the jungle I simply accepted my fate and just tried to get up and down from there. Fortunately, I did get up and down several times.

That's golf.

Like most of us, you are not alone. I always say that I have a "great range game." LOL

There really is no way to explain it that I know of. It's all psychological if you ask me.

I'm in the camp that believes a pre-round range session is just a warmup session. I can't count the number of times I've texted my wife prior to teeing off, she's asked how I was hitting them on the range and I reply that I was on fire... and then I post a garbage round. I've had the opposite happen, as well.

The game... she's mysterious!

I tend to go into each round with no expectations other than having a good time. If I do have any expectations... I almost always fail to meet them.

I hit enough balls on the range to get my body lose and know what shot I have it is rarely over a dozen balls pre round that I hit.

Some of my best rounds have come after awful warm up sessions

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back