What's the lowdown on X-OUT and PRACTICE golf balls

buckeyewalt

Reaction score
Handicap
I had a chance to buy some X-out and Practice golf balls, but was hesitant. I know about blems and such, but are there weight differences and or cover variations that make these balls what they are?

Golf balls may contain cosmetic blemishes and feature an X-Out stamp on the exterior of the ball.

Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping.

Thats some info I found on a quick google search. not sure if its correct but it sounds plausible

They are perfectly fine to use and are USGA conforming. I bought them all the time when I was starting out because they are so much cheaper than the non x-outs. Heck, I would use them now.

I believe practice balls are considered conforming ("PRACTICE" is treated like a logo) whereas X-outs are not.

They are perfectly fine to use and are USGA conforming. I bought them all the time when I was starting out because they are so much cheaper than the non x-outs. Heck, I would use them now.

Are x-out's considered conforming?

The answer is yes, but if the competition says you must use balls on the conforming list, they are not allowed.

"Decision
5-1/4
Status of ‘X-out,’ ‘Refurbished’ and ‘Practice’ Balls
Q. What is the status of ‘X-out,’ ‘refurbished’ and ‘practice’ balls?
A. ‘X-out’ is the common name used for a golf ball that a manufacturer considers to be imperfect (usually for aesthetic reasons only, e.g., paint or printing errors) and, therefore, has crossed out the brand name. A ‘refurbished’ golf ball is a second-hand ball that has been cleaned and stamped as ‘refurbished.’
In the absence of strong evidence to suggest that an ‘X-out’ or ‘refurbished’ ball does not conform to the Rules, it is permissible for such a ball to be used. However, in a competition where the Committee has adopted the condition that the ball the player plays must be named on the List of Conforming Golf Balls (see Note to Rule 5-1), such a ball may not be used, even if the ball in question (without the X’s or without the ‘refurbished’ stamp) does appear on the List.
In most cases, ‘practice’ balls are simply listed, conforming golf balls that have been stamped “Practice,” in the same way that golf balls often feature a club or company logo. Such balls may be used even where the Committee has adopted the condition that the ball the player plays must be named on the List of Conforming Golf Balls."

I used Xouts starting out, and still do on water heavy holes. I found out after a long time that it was better to use the same equipment when possible including balls. Xouts tend to come as a mixed bag, so you never know what ball you're using.

Are x-out's considered conforming?
I thought they were, but cc's post leads me to believe they may not be. I don't care though, I would use them without reservation since I don't do tournaments.

Back