Preset wrists and swing plane

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pandaman,

This season I have preset my wrists at address. Straight line from should to clubhead. Looking at videos of my swing, my takeaway and swing plane seems to be very inside and under (clubhead under my hands). The few 9s I've played lately, I've had 2-3 lost balls to the right or been in bad spots coming in. I can't drive a ball that resembles straight or a draw. I've been fighting this since I've been preseting my wrists.

How do I preset and not take the club back to the inside? Or do I stop preseting my wrists and start from a neutral hand position?

Thank you in advance.

Blu interesting thread. I have a similar question for panda but want to see where this goes first. To clarify by preset are you talking a forward press or something different? If something different do you have pics that would help clarify for me?

Blu interesting thread. I have a similar question for panda but want to see where this goes first. To clarify by preset are you talking a forward press or something different? If something different do you have pics that would help clarify for me?
This is setup
ca948f415702692db805a86b136fb00b.jpg

I can't NOT get into this position
d70fd7e23ec884eb0e5b9db135a820e4.jpg

i'd like to hear freddie's thoughts for you. to my eye, it doesn't look like you've just rotated your shoulders; it looks like you're rolling your forearms and the clubhead/hands/wrists are not working in sync with your torso and shoulders. looking forward to what freddie sees.

I'm curious as to Tadashi's thoughts on this as well because I have a tendency to set up similar and can get too much to the inside on the down swing.

Just for clarification when you say straight line from shoulders to club head, do you mean like this down the line of Moe Norman?

moe-dtl.jpg

As opposed to setting up with more radial deviation like Zac Johnson below:

p66.jpg

I find it interesting though that most good golfers are at a position of ulnar deviation at impact (which is where Moe starts out).

Last edited:
i'd like to hear freddie's thoughts for you. to my eye, it doesn't look like you've just rotated your shoulders; it looks like you're rolling your forearms and the clubhead/hands/wrists are not working in sync with your torso and shoulders. looking forward to what freddie sees.

Looks the same to me. I used to have the same problem and every so often get back into it. I have to focus on taking the club back low and straight.

Looks the same to me. I used to have the same problem and every so often get back into it. I have to focus on taking the club back low and straight.

and if we really are just supposed to rotate our shoulders around our spine and the arms stay in front of the chest, the club will move inside because of the inclined plane of the swing. I think it's a one-piece issue more than anything else. there is a lot about blu's swing i wish I had in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fwiw, this is the swing from that picture

[video=youtube;o64x-IEPKIU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o64x-IEPKIU&sns=em[/video]

I can't hit it my straightest unless my wrists are hinging properly - which for me is up and down not side to side(no cupping or bowing) If you stand in your address position and pick the clubhead straight up perpendicular to the ground as far as your wrists will allow, hold that position with your wrists and turn your shoulders all away to the top of the swing it will give you the proper neutral position at the top. My natural tendency is to bow the back of my left wrist a little but wheb i do this I definitely don't hit it straight. I also like the feel like my wrists and hands are passive for the entire swing and act only as a connection to my torso and shoulders.

I don't know if this will make sense as it is just an observation, but it seems as if your arms driver your body (hips/shoulders) rather than your body driving your arms.

Blue you are not presetting anything with your setup. Except for maybe your first move away from the ball. Your setup is so rigid that in order to get the club back, you have to break the wrist on the back swing.

The line from the shoulder to the club head is a bit old school. If the back swing is too far inside then a draw is pretty difficult to achieve. I like the setup behind the ball. The line from the shoulder to the club on a slight angle. Your current setup is putting you right on top of the ball. Which means you have to move or slide off the ball to get behind it.

The club head need to travel straight back away from the ball on a low line until it gets past you rear foot. Then it will begin to travel upward as the shoulders turn.

I can't hit it my straightest unless my wrists are hinging properly - which for me is up and down not side to side(no cupping or bowing) If you stand in your address position and pick the clubhead straight up perpendicular to the ground as far as your wrists will allow, hold that position with your wrists and turn your shoulders all away to the top of the swing it will give you the proper neutral position at the top. My natural tendency is to bow the back of my left wrist a little but wheb i do this I definitely don't hit it straight. I also like the feel like my wrists and hands are passive for the entire swing and act only as a connection to my torso and shoulders.

not that i am very good at doing this, but when someone properly explained to me that there is a wrist hinge and a wrist roll, with hinging necessary for a good golf swing and rolling pretty much a death sentence to consistency, it made so much sense. rolling is what causes us to suck the clubhead inside from address, whereas hinging is what happens once the turning of the shoulders bring the club waist-high. the hinge happens when the right arm folds to the top of the backswing.

to my eye, blu is trying to artificially hinge his wrists, or maybe said differently is uber-focused on setting his wrists, and it's leading to this out-of-sequence move. i think if he just turned his shoulders, feeling a little like moe norman with the club out in front of his chest, then let his natural athletic ability and instinct bring the club to the top of his backswing, he'd be golden.

then freddie will chime in and say "nope, he needs to do [this] instead."

Arms will always have to swing. The key it to begin with shoulders on the back swing and legs on the down swing. Arms can't really dictate but can operate on their own. Joe just has a sequencing issue.
I don't know if this will make sense as it is just an observation, but it seems as if your arms driver your body (hips/shoulders) rather than your body driving your arms.

Blue you are not presetting anything with your setup. Except for maybe your first move away from the ball. Your setup is so rigid that in order to get the club back, you have to break the wrist on the back swing.

The line from the shoulder to the club head is a bit old school. If the back swing is too far inside then a draw is pretty difficult to achieve. I like the setup behind the ball. The line from the shoulder to the club on a slight angle. Your current setup is putting you right on top of the ball. Which means you have to move or slide off the ball to get behind it.

The club head need to travel straight back away from the ball on a low line until it gets past you rear foot. Then it will begin to travel upward as the shoulders turn.
It's felt very rigid for about 3 months. A ton of tension on the tee.

Will that straight back move disconnect my arms and shoulders?

i doubt it as long as you don't push the club/arms out away from you before you start the takeaway...this was an issue I had early on the year. A good drill is to is a towel, glove, headcover,etc and place under your left armpit to help feel the connection

i doubt it as long as you don't push the club/arms out away from you before you start the takeaway...this was an issue I had early on the year. A good drill is to is a towel, glove, headcover,etc and place under your left armpit to help feel the connection
Yeah. Done that drill. Does nothing but suck the club inside for me. Unless I'm doing it wrong.

Not at all, the club head travels maybe 18".

Back