Lie Angle Advice (Irons)

BrazenSky

Reaction score
Handicap
RBV's
Hi everyone~

To start off this is my first post. Hello!
I wanted to get some advice on lie angle on my irons before I walk into a golf store and start adjusting things.

This past weekend I went to the driving range to hit about 100 balls using AW-5 iron(Taylormade Burner 2.0). I noticed that I was hitting slight right and the marks from the top of the irons on the club were consistent throughout all the irons. Would adjusting the lie angle be beneficial at this point by the indication of the marks on my 5 and 6 iron? I appreciate feedback! :act-up:

TM_Burner_2_0_1.jpg
TM_Burner_2_0.jpg

Thanks!

Hi everyone~

To start off this is my first post. Hello!
I wanted to get some advice on lie angle on my irons before I walk into a golf store and start adjusting things.

This past weekend I went to the driving range to hit about 100 balls using AW-5 iron(Taylormade Burner 2.0). I noticed that I was hitting slight right and the marks from the top of the irons on the club were consistent throughout all the irons. Would adjusting the lie angle be beneficial at this point by the indication of the marks on my 5 and 6 iron? I appreciate feedback! :act-up:

TM_Burner_2_0_1.jpg
TM_Burner_2_0.jpg

Thanks!

Welcome to THP! Your lie could be off based on what you wrote, but it's a pretty easy fix for a competent club builder/repairer, provided you have a repeatable swing. If you don't, it can still be resolved, just takes longer and can be frustrating. Lie is more important with higher lofted clubs as well, so I would start with the wedge.

With nothing more than rug burn to go on...I'd say the clubs are a tick too long. Try gripping down one inch; that should be enough to produce a different outcome. If the ball flight moves closer to center, and the melted plastic advances toward the toe, then that is indeed the case. The simplest way to deal with lie is by adjusting length.

Thanks for the advice, I will be going back out to the range later this week and give that a try. Hoping for straighter ball flight! I'll try that and then maybe end result would be to take them to my golf shop to get a proper fitting. If only it was so much easier than spending more $ lol.

Welcome to THP! Lie angle is important but easy to fix for most set of irons!

Thanks for the advice, I will be going back out to the range later this week and give that a try. Hoping for straighter ball flight! I'll try that and then maybe end result would be to take them to my golf shop to get a proper fitting. If only it was so much easier than spending more $ lol.

when you go back out to the range, don't look at the sole of the club to determine the lie angle. It's somewhat useful but it doesn't tell the entire story.

for lie fitting i actually like to use the ball. Bring a sharpie or whiteboard marker and an ball alignment marker tool. draw a straight line heavy so that ink will transfer. Make sure the face of your iron is nice and clean. Put the ball down so that the line you drew is straight up and down, facing the face of your iron. Go ahead and hit it and check out the impact line on the face of your iron. If it's straight up and down the face then your lie angle is good. If the bottom of the line is pointing towards the heel of the club, your irons are slightly upright. If the bottom of the line points towards the toe, your irons are too flat. Adjust accordingly!

I'm no clubfitter, but with that type of wear, assuming center face contact I would expect your miss to be a pronounced draw. at least that has been my experience. miss is left, lie board says contact is heel biased on the sole, bend a little flatter, ball goes straighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no clubfitter, but with that type of wear, assuming center face contact I would expect your miss to be a pronounced draw. at least that has been my experience. miss is left, lie board says contact is heel biased on the sole, bend a little flatter, ball goes straighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is almost exactly what I was going to say. Except it looks like in the pic the face of the 5i was open coming through and the 6i was more square and was probably straight or a little left from the lie being too upright. Strictly based on where the turf marks are they do look too upright or too long depending whether or not you need standard length, if ball flight was to the right the club face was probably a little open.

Welcome me to the forum!

Welcome, so I'm not the new guy any more! :D

I wouldn't start bending stuff yet...
What's your HC? ...indicates how repeatable your swing might be.
What is the current lie angle, stock?
Have you done any of the online "Fittings" to see what might be recommended for a lie angle?
What's your ball flight? Left, right?

Bending clubs in hopes of straighter ball flight is pretty far down the check-list.:angel:
If it was only that easy! LOL!!! :D

Welcome, so I'm not the new guy any more! :D

I wouldn't start bending stuff yet...
What's your HC? ...indicates how repeatable your swing might be.
What is the current lie angle, stock?
Have you done any of the online "Fittings" to see what might be recommended for a lie angle?
What's your ball flight? Left, right?

Bending clubs in hopes of straighter ball flight is pretty far down the check-list.:angel:
If it was only that easy! LOL!!! :D

Thanks for the advice everyone!

My HC is 15. I recently switched from graphite shafts to steel. I've notice so far I am hitting the ball better overall its just not all that straight. Also noticed the ball gets up higher with my new set vs the graphite shafts.
Current Lie Angle - Stock
Haven't done any online fitting for my irons only driver. I've used the Ping driver fitting. Any advice which might be best?
Typically I've always hit slight right, I am thinking now I really need to close the face up.

I haven't got out this week to hit a couple so maybe sat/sun depending on the honey do list lol.

With nothing more than rug burn to go on...I'd say the clubs are a tick too long. Try gripping down one inch; that should be enough to produce a different outcome. If the ball flight moves closer to center, and the melted plastic advances toward the toe, then that is indeed the case. The simplest way to deal with lie is by adjusting length.
+1 looks like the toe is slightly upright as a result of clubs being too long or you standing too far away from the ball. I would choke up or step a few inches closer to the ball if you can do it comfortably.

Back