All Irons question

JD19

Reaction score
Handicap
The other day a buddy and myself had a quick 9 hole, all irons challenge. He questioned me about using my 3H on the first tee and we decided to go ahead and include our hybrids. I know it's whatever we want it to be because it's was just him and I but some people have sets with hybrids all the way down to their 6 and I have seen complete sets of hybrid irons, would they be excluded?

So I thought this would make a good discussion for the THP community.

When/if you have a "all irons" competition are hybrids considered in play and allowed or is it a traditional iron club only? What say you?

If an iron replacement hybrid (i.e., Apex), I say it is acceptable. If a distance hybrid that plays like a FW wood, I say that should be excluded.

If an iron replacement hybrid (i.e., Apex), I say it is acceptable. If a distance hybrid that plays like a FW wood, I say that should be excluded.

How do you know if its a replacement hybrid vs a distance hybrid? I didn't even know there was different "classifications" for hybrids.

How do you know if its a replacement hybrid vs a distance hybrid? I didn't even know there was different "classifications" for hybrids.
For me, just by the distance it goes. If I can hit a 4 hybrid over 200 yards consistently, it is more like a FW IMO because the most I can get out of a 4 iron on a center strike is 190.

I say hybrids are allowed. Some people hit them not for distance gain but for accuracy and/or ease of hitting them. I can hit a 3iron ad far as I hit my 3h, but not as consistently.

So I guess the question is, what's the purpose of your all iron match? Is it to force you to play smart, course management golf? Or is to even the playing field with distance? If it's the latter then I don't think matters because like I said hybrids don't always mean more distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My definition of iron challenge = real irons, no hybrids allowed.

So then could I play the round with all Altitudes? All hybrid irons.

So I guess the question is, what's the purpose of your all iron match? Is it to force you to play smart, course management golf? Or is to even the playing field with distance? If it's the latter then I don't think matters because like I said hybrids don't always mean more distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For us it was more of a different approach shots/course management thing. We were playing a course with no par 5's on the front 9 and just want to improve iron play. Totally for fun thing though.

I say it's an iron, because it is a hybrid. Meaning it's and iron but it's a fairway, so it's both in my opionion. I like the idea it's just another way to have fun at the course and promote a new challenge...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I say use the hybrids... It's your game with your buddy...why you do it is your own reason. Fun, practice, different looks at 2nd shots....Your game/your rules.

Iron challenge, I say direct replacements for anything up to 3 iron/5 W is fine. So pretty much, keep it 20* loft or higher and we're cool.

I say hybrids and irons count the same.

What would I do if I were playing my HB3's? Or people with Altitudes?

I think it just depends on your bag. If I were to look at my own bag, I would exclude it. But I carry a 3i and my hybrid is basically a 5w replacement. If I carried a 5i at the longest and had a few more hybrids, then I think you can include at least 1 or 2 of them.

Hybrids are not irons. An "irons only" competition should mean just that.
So if you and your buddy decide to do this, and he has a hyron set, he would need to come up with a set of irons to play? Or if he has hybrids through the 7, he could only play with his 8-iron on down while you could play at the way to possibly a 3 iron or whatever?

Yes. A contest cannot legitimately be called "irons only" if clubs other than irons are allowed.

Yes. A contest cannot legitimately be called "irons only" if clubs other than irons are allowed.
Call it a non woods contest.

So if you and your buddy decide to do this, and he has a hyron set, he would need to come up with a set of irons to play? Or if he has hybrids through the 7, he could only play with his 8-iron on down while you could play at the way to possibly a 3 iron or whatever?
A friend i used to play with has woods all the way up to a 15 wood. His bag looks like that commercial where the guy has nothing but drivers. Only irons in his bag are pw and sw.

Obviously, we couldn't have an irons-only round. But if he wanted to play woods-only, I'd be in trouble.

I'd say if you are saying only irons, then pull the hybrids and put the irons back in. I do that now and then.

I guess I don't see what the big deal is.

People who play hybrids do so because they don't like or can't play their longer irons. People who don't play hybrids don't play them because they don't see an advantage for them to do so. So who really cares if someone uses hybrids? It's kind of equal footing I would say. I guess I couldn't take part since I don't have long irons, or just be handicapped and start at my 7, which would be fun with longer forced carries.

I am of the opinion that hybrids are meant to replace irons. You hit them the same way. Does it make a difference if I use HB3's which are not irons, but aren't hybrids either?

What about someone who's got a combo set, which have become very popular? Cobra, Callaway, TaylorMade, etc. all have made very successful "iron" sets that are hybrids right up to the 6i or even 7i. So if someone has that set, they're handicapped to using only 7i through wedges? Or like others have said, someone who's playing Altitudes all the way through the bag?

My thought on it is, if you've got a hybrid odds are it's in a slot that wasn't taken up by a wood. If it were me, I'd leave everything from Heavenwood down out of the bag, and if someone had a problem with my 4 & 5 Altitudes, I'd tell him tough crap.

I'm a bit conflicted with my feelings about this. I get that they aren't irons so technically they don't qualify. But golf is about inclusion and fun and to not allow an entire segment of player would be unfortunate.

Back