How To: The Poor Man's Guide to Reshafting Irons

Yay for google.

Bushing ferrules are basically inserts you put in the hosel and then glue the shaft into them. Itake it they are called ferrules since some of them actually have a ferrule on them. The one that I'm going to buy doesn't doesn't though.

I'm about to have myself some old-school Jesse Ortiz awesomeness.

After reading through the thread Im giving this a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the easy part. :) You will be fine. Like the ferrules!

Finally got a little time to finish these. Eesh, learned some things that's for sure. Overall though it was fun and cool to do. Not sure yet if I wanna put the shaft decals on yet. Need to check over the grips and lengths too, something seems a little off in the length progressions. But that shouldn't take long.

Woohoo the lengths aren't off. Forgot there's a bigger jump from 5 to 6 than the rest. Now just need to hit them to ease my concerns of heads flying off.

Woohoo the lengths aren't off. Forgot there's a bigger jump from 5 to 6 than the rest. Now just need to hit them to ease my concerns of heads flying off.
They look good. I really liked the Niions - have them on my backup wedges, now.

They look good. I really liked the Niions - have them on my backup wedges, now.
Thanks! Yeah they feel pretty good on there (thanks to THP for them!). Anxious to try them out.

Nicely done drp. That's a big job for a first attempt.

Don't worry about the head flying. It happens, but always can fix it.

Thank you sir. Yeah we'll see haha. Not gonna lie I'm pretty antsy about the head thing. Could be cuz it's my first shaft swap, but I'm just not sure if I got the shaft tips rough enough.

And man did that 5 iron with the tip weight give me issues.

I was worried about the heads flying off as well. I just made sure I had enough glue in the head and made sure I spread it around plenty. Then I waited about a week before trying them just to make sure they were cured properly.

Like most said, as long as you prepped the tip of the shaft and cleaned the hosel out good you shouldn't have any issues. I usually tend to use a thinner amount of epoxy and add a little glass shafting beads to ensure a nice tight bond/fit.
Actually just finished my iron re-shaft last night, got my matching AW shaft and the completed club is curing as we speak. Played my first round with the rest of the clubs Sunday and love them!

Finished up my first reshaft yesterday. It was really a fun project and I can't wait to do it again. The ferrules were a little tough but other than that pretty straight forward

Next up. Throwing a CTL into an extra Bio Cell 8 iron. Time to research on how to use shims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good man! Shims are pretty straight forward really, just another extra small piece to put in there.

I am starting to think about a reshafting project to put .355 shafts in .370 hosels and I have two question.

1 - I will buy little brass shims, what is the process to install them? do I just put them on the tip of the shaft and install them, or should I put some epoxy between the shafts and the shims?

2 - should I take .355 ferrulles or .370 ferrules?

I am starting to think about a reshafting project to put .355 shafts in .370 hosels and I have two question.

1 - I will buy little brass shims, what is the process to install them? do I just put them on the tip of the shaft and install them, or should I put some epoxy between the shafts and the shims?

.355 ferrules

I lightly coat the tip in epoxy and install the shim on to it. Then I coat the outside lightly (as well as inside the hosel).

Make sure they fit first with a dry install - at least part way. Sometimes you have to clip a leg or two off to make them fit.

I would also suggest getting collared ferrules. They will help keep shaft lean down and help center the shaft. I also would suggest using some shafting beads mixed in with the epoxy. You don't need a lot and they help keep things tight.

When shimming some .355T into a .370, do you recommend using beads in the epoxy as well?

Also what ferrules do you guys like the best? After some searching Grail Golf seems to have a good selection and feedback.

When shimming some .355T into a .370, do you recommend using beads in the epoxy as well?

Also what ferrules do you guys like the best? After some searching Grail Golf seems to have a good selection and feedback.

Beads arent necessary, but never a bad option IMHO, I love Grail Golfs ferrules.

I didn't use beads and it worked fine for me. I know some people like them though.

Don't remember the brand of ferrules I used last, but I'm curious about these
http://www.snapcapgolf.com/

Great thread very informative. Hey I was wondering if you pour solvent into the hosel to loosen up the old epoxy before taking a drill to it or is it easier just to drill it out when dry? Thanks bro.

I have never tried that, just scrape it out with a flat screw driver when it is hot and dry. Easy.

Great thread very informative. Hey I was wondering if you pour solvent into the hosel to loosen up the old epoxy before taking a drill to it or is it easier just to drill it out when dry? Thanks bro.

I don't find it necessary to pour solvent in the hosel. However, a good little trick is to take some steel wool and tear off a little piece and wrap it around a drill bit that's a little smaller than the hosel. This gets all the stuff out and cleans everything up nicely. Let me know if I explained that well enough, if not I'll post some pictures or a video.

I don't find it necessary to pour solvent in the hosel. However, a good little trick is to take some steel wool and tear off a little piece and wrap it around a drill bit that's a little smaller than the hosel. This gets all the stuff out and cleans everything up nicely. Let me know if I explained that well enough, if not I'll post some pictures or a video.
No that's awesome. If I dont have a heat gun can I use a torch yet keep it fairly far away from hosel (so I dont damage it)as in 8 to 10 inches to soften the epoxy prior to pulling?? Thanks and the steel wool on drill bit trick sounds great.

Back