Funny Family Stories

Den60

Reaction score
Handicap
13.6 USGA
I shared a story in the "Spicy Food" thread and though a thread sharing some family stories would be great. I have a few but will start with one (though it is actually two).

My maternal grandmother didn't approve of my Mom dating my Dad. My Dad had dual American/Canadian citizenship and came to San Diego in the 50's because he would work year round (he was a plasterer). He always knew that one day he would own his own company (and he did and had a very successful one and his reputation for quality was unsurpassed here in town). But when he was courting my Mom he was just someone working in the trades and my grandmother felt my Mom could do much better than that. He married my Mom and in 1958 he and she bought their first house in Paradise Hills, just up the hill from my maternal grandparents. He used to tell my grandmother that he took my Mom "out of the ghetto and put her up on the hill." Later on in the mid 60's my grandmother had a stroke. Her doctor recommended that she have one glass of red wine per day. My grandmother, being devoutly Christian, couldn't bring herself to go to the local liquor store to buy it so my Dad would do that for her. He would walk up the sidewalk entrance to their home holding a brown paper bag and say, quite loudly, "I've got your liquor!"

My grandmother was driving in the mountains. Looked over at my dad and asked, "does driving these twisty roads make you as dizzy as it does me?"

My wife being of mexican heritage, and growing up there sometimes butchers english words pretty good. One time we were t a family dinner and there were some coconut macaroons. Wife says "I love those they have cock-in-it". Another time she was telling about how she fell on the "Pav-eh-ment". Always get a good smile when she makes those mistakes I find it adorable.

My father has insisted for years that he was tricked into marrying my mother. Citing that he was told my grandfather was a "rich farmer".

Turns out they lived out in the country, in a tiny farmhouse, with a little bit of land. My grandfather was "rich" because he loved what he did.

Ok, here's another one I heard at my Dad's funeral service. My Dad had to do his two year of service. He didn't want to do it because he wanted to go in business for himself but he made the best of it. He had an Army buddy who ended up being his best man at his wedding. Didn't really meet him when I would have known who he was until my Dad's service. He told a story where they had a three day pass (they were based in Texas) so my Dad and him drove to San Diego to see my Mom. On the return trip My Dad's car broke down in Yuma. He called some friends in SD to tell them to come pick up the car and they would catch a bus back to base. It was hot so they went into a local hotel to see if they could take a shower. The guy at the hotel saw they were in uniform and said they could. Both did. Afterwards my Dad said they had a pool and suggested they take a dip. His buddy was just getting out of the shower so he said go ahead and he would join him. My Dad was already in the pool when his buddy got there. His buddy asked how the water was and my Dad said "Great." So his buddy jumped in only to find the water was over 100 degrees. He said my Dad was smiling when he told him the water was "great."

Back