Options for players club for steep digger swing?

CRB357

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently play MP67's. Set before that was Bridgestone J33 CB's for many years. I also have a set of Ping i5's. Same length DG S300 in all of them. I hit the MP67's really well, most accurate I've ever struck my irons. I just leave a massive long and deep trench after I'm done. Talking about 4-5 sand bottles a round. I feel guilty, LOL. It's pretty bad and I wonder about my wrists long term. Plus the ball flight is crazy high, it's penetrating, but extremely high. I'm actually longer with the old school weaker loft 67's (ex PW 48) than any non-distance club I've ever hit. I've had these 67's in play for just a short time, and during that time we have had massive amounts of rainfall, leaving our courses very soft. I've yet to play on even moderately firm turf. I'm suspecting that the soft conditions are allowing me to get away with hitting these MP67's. I've always taken a healthy divot, just the MP67's are much deeper than the J33 CB's. The J33CB have more of a blunted leading edge, tad more bounce, and little wider sole. So it makes sense. I've noticed that when I take the higher bounce/wider sole Ping i5's out, the turf interaction is much more pleasurable. Less shock to my wrist etc. Feels much cleaner and divot isn't near as deep with either 67's or J33CB. i5 trajectory is even acceptable. Even the feel at impact isn't that bad with the i5, considering I'm a life long forged iron player, I could live with that feel, if I could hit them as good as the others. However, I'm not very accurate with them bc of the offset. I pull them left, very often. So, I'm looking for a smaller blade/players iron, with minimal offest, higher bounce, and a sole more conducive for a steep digger swing. I really don't care about length or how old the irons are. actually, older/cheaper the better. What I've come up with so far, is Srixon Z745, Callaway Apex (non Pro), Ping S55. I really like Mizuno irons, I've have 4 sets. However, can't seem to find a non heavy offset non GI Mizuno that will fit what I'm looking for, that will not launch the ball too high to be playable. I've heard maybe the MP32??? Little skeptical of that bc I've always heard MP32's launch high already. I hit these MP67's as high as some Ping G10's I owned for a very short time years ago. When the wind kicks up, sh*t going to get real.

Also, my swing is in as good as shape as it's ever been with the irons. I've just emerged from the hell that is going through a swing change and I'm able to repeat it pretty well at the moment and would prefer to not mess with it. Just trying to find an iron that fits it, so it can be playable in the wind, and not tear up the course excessively. I walk with a cart, and carrying around multiple sand bottles is freaking heavy and a pain in the butt. Also, I'm coming to the conclusion that higher bounce will actually LOWER the trajectory of my steep digger swing and improve my impact dynamics. I would like that very much.

Any help?

Thanks

I currently play MP67's. Set before that was Bridgestone J33 CB's for many years. I also have a set of Ping i5's. Same length DG S300 in all of them. I hit the MP67's really well, most accurate I've ever struck my irons. I just leave a massive long and deep trench after I'm done. Talking about 4-5 sand bottles a round. I feel guilty, LOL. It's pretty bad and I wonder about my wrists long term. Plus the ball flight is crazy high, it's penetrating, but extremely high. I'm actually longer with the old school weaker loft 67's (ex PW 48) than any non-distance club I've ever hit. I've had these 67's in play for just a short time, and during that time we have had massive amounts of rainfall, leaving our courses very soft. I've yet to play on even moderately firm turf. I'm suspecting that the soft conditions are allowing me to get away with hitting these MP67's. I've always taken a healthy divot, just the MP67's are much deeper than the J33 CB's. The J33CB have more of a blunted leading edge, tad more bounce, and little wider sole. So it makes sense. I've noticed that when I take the higher bounce/wider sole Ping i5's out, the turf interaction is much more pleasurable. Less shock to my wrist etc. Feels much cleaner and divot isn't near as deep with either 67's or J33CB. i5 trajectory is even acceptable. Even the feel at impact isn't that bad with the i5, considering I'm a life long forged iron player, I could live with that feel, if I could hit them as good as the others. However, I'm not very accurate with them bc of the offset. I pull them left, very often. So, I'm looking for a smaller blade/players iron, with minimal offest, higher bounce, and a sole more conducive for a steep digger swing. I really don't care about length or how old the irons are. actually, older/cheaper the better. What I've come up with so far, is Srixon Z745, Callaway Apex (non Pro), Ping S55. I really like Mizuno irons, I've have 4 sets. However, can't seem to find a non heavy offset non GI Mizuno that will fit what I'm looking for, that will not launch the ball too high to be playable. I've heard maybe the MP32??? Little skeptical of that bc I've always heard MP32's launch high already. I hit these MP67's as high as some Ping G10's I owned for a very short time years ago. When the wind kicks up, sh*t going to get real.

Also, my swing is in as good as shape as it's ever been with the irons. I've just emerged from the hell that is going through a swing change and I'm able to repeat it pretty well at the moment and would prefer to not mess with it. Just trying to find an iron that fits it, so it can be playable in the wind, and not tear up the course excessively. I walk with a cart, and carrying around multiple sand bottles is freaking heavy and a pain in the butt. Also, I'm coming to the conclusion that higher bounce will actually LOWER the trajectory of my steep digger swing and improve my impact dynamics. I would like that very much.

Any help?

Thanks
Same position, what did you find out?

Same position, what did you find out?
The OP hasn't logged on here in almost three years, you might want to start your own fresh thread and ask the question. Welcome to THP, by the way!

Back