Worst marshall ever?

tequila4kapp

Tom Watson called to say “Hi”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
I joined with a VERY slow 3some at the 10th hole (they wouldn't let me play through, claiming other 4somes were ahead). The marshall met us on the 14th tee. Instead of talking to us about being 2 holes behind and needing to pick up the pace he starts chatting with the 3 old guys - sharing stories, asking about wives, just shooting the sh*t. I was the last guy to tee off. After I hit my ball another guy drives up in a cart. They great him like Norm walking into Cheers. I start to walk up the fairway. One of the older guys yells out to me to hold up so they can talk to the friend (I said I'd play ahead - we were 2 holes behind). The marshall didn't say a word to them about pace of play, but instead sat there and joined them in talking with the guy who drove up. I hate to be this way about it but after the round I went in to the clubhouse to report the guy - it's one thing for a marshall to not do his job, it's something else for the marshall to actually contribute to slow play.

Living in Hawaii it seems like every slow elderly golfer is best friends with the Marshall, who happen to be the same age. I've complianed to the Marshall about 3 some almost 2 holes behind a 5some, holding up another 3 some. They just go up there ask them if there coming over for dinner and the kine. I've but all given up on marshals doing the job.

Im sure there are many many Marshalls who are in the running. Most don't understand nor do the job which is why pace of play is so bad to start with. Many just do it for the perks and could care less about the rest.

Yep, that may be the worst Marshall ever.

It's amazing to me how a useless job like being a "Starter" always seems to attract these hard-ass crusty old so-and-so's, but an actual important job like Marshalling a course attracts the lazy, relaxed, and not a care in the world types.

Sounds like the Marshall's at Andrews. They have no clue about the game or how to keep pace of play up. Buddy of mine even had one tell him he couldn't hit two balls from the tee

Marshall job description - Old guy that drives around a course just to get free golf on Mondays. Oblivious to what actually goes on.

Was anybody being held up by the slow group? I mean, other than you?

Was anybody being held up by the slow group? I mean, other than you?
Me as a single, but that's to be expected when you are a single. The 3some that joined me to make a foursome was definitely slowed by these guys. That 3some quit at the turn because of pace which opened up 2 open tee slots behind this group of older guys, which meant nobody was waiting at 14 when I left them. Still, the responsibility is to stay up with the group in front of you. But more than complaining about those guys, my real beef was with the marshall who was affirmatively doing the opposite of his job responsibilities.

Back